YB3 Rules

Kalanyr

Explorer
The point is that the power gained is GREATER than the power sacrificed the PRICE is that you may LOSE it. If its a state of GREATER power with the price of returning to normal when you lose it, there's no point at all not build the greater power into the paths.

If you lose nothing for creating an artifact or the artifact magically transfers its drawback (loss of sig style or sig location for example) the RP behind it makes less sense to.

Knight Otu

First Post
One could say that you have to have the artifact to buy back the sacrifice. Or the cost of buying back the sacrifice is higher than the sacrifice was.
That said, I can live with a sacrifice being permanent.
So artifacts are permanent once created... might be interesting.

Rathan

First Post
If you have it that way Kal.. that I forsee not alot of people making that sacrifice and sticking with NO artifact... myself included... I don't see the point in RP'ing and sacing for something the you could loose.... not only that.. but if you sac something for an artifact.... yer gonna use it to make up for the power loss... which means a greater risk to loose it.... it just seems silly to me to loose it.... espicially if you put so much power and effort into creating it... just to hand to to someone else to use on you... to me.. that's just not fun..... that's my honest opinion....

Knight Otu

First Post
Rathan, I think you're overreacting a bit on the Sacrifice thing.

First, you don't have to make a sacrifice to get an artifact. The scrifice is just an option to strengthen it, should you go that route.

Second, I don't foresee many ways to lose an artifact. The ones I see would be
  • Give it away freely.
  • A high-tier aristocrat ability similar to the current Corruption/Redemption rounds.
  • Expanding on it, there might be artifacts with that power.
  • The possibility to steal it when dropping from tier 3 to tier 2, similar to the current rules on killing someone dropping from tier 2 back to white belt.
Besides, as I understand it, you can always choose not to bring that artifact along to a fight, so if you face an opponent who seems to have the ability to steal an artifact, you might leave it behind, weakening yourself but protecting the artifact, or bring it along to strengthen yourself, but risking the artifact.

Kalanyr

Explorer
I understand what you're saying Rathan, but as far as artifacts on which sacrifices have been spent, if you can't lose the artifact you aren't sacrificing anything for it, you get more back than the sacrifice is worth, we may as well just add that extra power to the paths, there's no point having artifacts (with sacrifices) seperate if everyone WILL have one, thats not the point, my expectation is this: everyone will have an artifact, some people will sacrifice something for it, those who sacrifice something get a stronger artifact but risk falling below their normal level if they lose it (otherwise everyone will sacrifice because there's no ACTUAL price to it and thats just silly (not everyone can destroy a location or forget a sig style, suffer from the curse of ill health etc)). If you lose a non-sacrificed artifact its not such a big deal, you can make another one etc, oh and no someone who takes an artifact cannot destroy it, so you always have a possibility of getting it back (thinking about some kind of system where you can't refuse a challenge with someone who's artifact you've stolen without having to give it back (to prevent a lucky tier 2 nicking of with a Tier 5, Mortal Sacrifice artifact, refusing to fight anyone higher tier ever again and destroying his peers).

Actually you can lose an artifact if you're defeated in a battle in which you use it at the moment, but Sollir and I are arguing about that so it may change to something more restrictive.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Oh and there will never ever be something like Redemption/Corruption in this version of YB its a false balance, the powers rarely ever do anything and once you've got them you're more powerful than the other paths, balance through usually being weak and then being strong isn't very good balance. (IMO)

Knight Otu

First Post
Kalanyr said:
Actually you can lose an artifact if you're defeated in a battle in which you use it at the moment, but Sollir and I are arguing about that so it may change to something more restrictive.
Personally, I'd prefer it a bit more restrictive, too. Not necessarily as restrictive as in my above post, but not every defeat in battle. Maybe when dropping a tier - or, a bit more radically, prevent dropping a tier by giving away the artifact if it is powerful enough...

Ok, that one would propably not be good...

Rathan

First Post
hmmm... that dropping of a tier and loosing your artifact is a good idea I think.. buuut... it does seem to favor the higher tier seeing as they have more ranks.... but maybe it should.... I dunno... I'll have to throw it back anf forth in my little brain.. heh :D

Remove ads