YB3 Rules

Phoenix8008

First Post
Just checking, since it become relevant in my current fight. Moves no longer *poing* if a fighter attacks someone with a Sig style they know, right? So it would still do 1 damage if the move hits the person with the sig style I believe. Just asking so I can remember for sure how to judge it when it comes up later.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Signature Styles are purely offensive, as such the move still does full damage. Signature Locations reduce move damage (possibly to 0 and with a Clansman of a certain tier this can cause an automatic loss, in other cases its effectively just a round of 0.).

KDLadage

Explorer
Suggestions:

Version 3 here looks a lot like the Version 2 preliminary draft I suggested back in the day... I do have a couple of suggestions:

1. I think from a flavor standpoint, the Stamina Points should probably be renamed to Ki or Chi.
  2. Have the advancement either be *slower* such that you get a real chance to understand and work with the powers... or have each tier only grant *one* power for the same reason.
  3. Any uses of Stamina/Ki/Chi should fall outside of victory conditions. In other words, the flag system should remain pure with the other effects (damage, if you want to go that far, etc), being outside of that. The game should always be able to be won with 2 (or 3?) flags on one side of a bout. Granted, you might take a fighter tot he point of 0 Stamina/Ki/Chi and have some effect for having "negative values" here... but voctory should still require the flags and they should be passed backa nd forth without regard for the other effects attacks may have.
  4. I wrote the code that currently drives the move generators. I am more than willing to aid in the construction of YB3 via acting as a code-monkey, if you so desire.

Who are the current members of the "YB3 Rules Committee" -- if such a body currently exists?

Phoenix8008

First Post
KDLadage said:
Suggestions:

Version 3 here looks a lot like the Version 2 preliminary draft I suggested back in the day... I do have a couple of suggestions:
  1. I think from a flavor standpoint, the Stamina Points should probably be renamed to Ki or Chi.
Flavor wise, it doesn't matter much to me. This is a guess, but I think part of the intention was to make the system generic enough to use for any type character instead of just oriental like the original YB. That is why some of the moves were made very generic so that the player could decide exactly what the power was and why it was that way.

KDLadage said:
2. Have the advancement either be *slower* such that you get a real chance to understand and work with the powers... or have each tier only grant *one* power for the same reason.
I have always liked the idea of a slower advancement or one power per tier. But as I am not a very good rules writer, i kinda got to go along with those who do write the rules. I support the ideas that I like better than others, but if others decide that some stuff works better, then I can't exactly go write another game all myself.

KDLadage said:
3. Any uses of Stamina/Ki/Chi should fall outside of victory conditions. In other words, the flag system should remain pure with the other effects (damage, if you want to go that far, etc), being outside of that. The game should always be able to be won with 2 (or 3?) flags on one side of a bout. Granted, you might take a fighter tot he point of 0 Stamina/Ki/Chi and have some effect for having "negative values" here... but victory should still require the flags and they should be passed backa nd forth without regard for the other effects attacks may have.
Sorry, this was my fault. I thought it could actually be a good thing for the fight to be able to end regardless of flags. I have seen way to many fights go on for dozens of rounds with no end in sight. I thought it might be cool to have an effect which could end up in a 'knockout'. I proposed the idea and after much debate (when there were enough people still coming here to have much debate) they settled on the current system as the best iteration.

KDLadage said:
4. I wrote the code that currently drives the move generators. I am more than willing to aid in the construction of YB3 via acting as a code-monkey, if you so desire.

I can't speak for any others, but I'm sure your help would be much appreciated.

KDLadage said:
Who are the current members of the "YB3 Rules Committee" -- if such a body currently exists?

Besides yourself, the only people even posting here anymore are myself, Kalanyr, and Sollir. If there is a YB3 Rules committee, I guess us 4 would be it. Although Kal & Sollir really came up with the current draft. I just put in my 2 cents now and then.

Last edited:

Remove ads