200 Pages of NPCs For 5E, Pathfinder, or S&W

If you want 200 pages of NPCs for your game - and by game, I mean D&D 5E, Pathfinder, or Swords & Wizardry - Nord Games looks like it has you covered. Ultimate NPCs has NPCs galore at levels 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. It's a Kickstarter, already funded, and they've kindly sent me along a couple of pages from the book to share with you. I had the choice of 5E, Pathfinder, or S&W, and figured 5E would gather the most attention, but if you're a fan of those other two awesome games, just imagine these with suitable stat blocks. Anyhow, on with the preview! This is Jana, a gladiator, at levels 1 and 4.

If you want 200 pages of NPCs for your game - and by game, I mean D&D 5E, Pathfinder, or Swords & Wizardry - Nord Games looks like it has you covered. Ultimate NPCs has NPCs galore at levels 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. It's a Kickstarter, already funded, and they've kindly sent me along a couple of pages from the book to share with you. I had the choice of 5E, Pathfinder, or S&W, and figured 5E would gather the most attention, but if you're a fan of those other two awesome games, just imagine these with suitable stat blocks. Anyhow, on with the preview! This is Jana, a gladiator, at levels 1 and 4.

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 22.18.37.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 22.18.59.png

So what else is there to know about this Kickstarter? It's being spearheaded by Christopher Haskins from Frog God Games. You get a PDF for $15, or a softcover for $25. Or you can go up to $40 for a hardcover. There's a whole bunch of stretch goals - guilds, generic NPCs, brigands, ruffians, assassins, and more - many of which are already unlocked. The book and art is done - it's just production left to do. There's also add-ons like cards.

Those 200 pages include 30 unique characters at level 1 then leveled up to 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20, for a total of 180 NPCs, plus the more generic NPCs of which there will likely be about 30 to make small groups of ruffians, bandits, thieves, etc.

5c964f66e5943523dd0bff98d7d6add9_original.jpg

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Pathfinder NPC Codex is a great product. Very useful. This Kickstarter is a great idea.

I'm surprise this sort of product wasn't more popular in earlier editions.

Shadow Demon

Explorer
This is a excellent preview with great flavor.

However, I have a few nitpicks that should be considered:

1) Use "passive Perception 13" instead of "Passive Perception +13"

2) With a Great Weapon fighting style, the versatile weapon longsword should note a two-handed damage of 1d10. She is unlikely to ever use it single-handed.

3) Under "Weapons, Armor, & Items", shouldn't the 4th level Jana have greater treasure than the 1st level version?

Uder

First Post
Pathfinder NPC Codex is a great product. Very useful. This Kickstarter is a great idea.

I'm surprise this sort of product wasn't more popular in earlier editions.

Prebuilt NPCs were very popular once the game passed a certain point of complexity (AD&D).

The Rogues Gallery for AD&D 1st edition was a very popular product, with several printings. 2e had book after book with scores of NPCs, many for the Forgotten Realms. It also had its own Rogues Gallery as well as trading cards with NPCs. BECMI had the The Shady Dragon Inn. D&D 3 had both a lot of 3rd party support (Everyone Else!) plus example NPCs for most new classes in the Complete... series IIRC.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Prebuilt NPCs were very popular once the game passed a certain point of complexity (AD&D).

The Rogues Gallery for AD&D 1st edition was a very popular product, with several printings. 2e had book after book with scores of NPCs, many for the Forgotten Realms. It also had its own Rogues Gallery as well as trading cards with NPCs. BECMI had the The Shady Dragon Inn. D&D 3 had both a lot of 3rd party support (Everyone Else!) plus example NPCs for most new classes in the Complete... series IIRC.
2e had a lot of NPCs with names andbakground, Ravenloft was great for that, but not generic NPCs. They aren't the same.

Uder

First Post

Never said they were?

The product in the OP as well as the ones I mentioned are mostly notable for their *unique* NPCs.

Remove ads

Remove ads