World of Warcraft open beta signups live--sort of!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
So, the good news: you can now sign up for the World of Warcraft final stress test!

The bad news: you have to do it through www.fileplanet.com, which means paying at least seven or eight bucks for a membership to the site. They make it look like you have to pay at least sixteen bucks for ninety days, but if you poke around you may be able to find alink to a cheaper signup, for seven or eight bucks. Try refusing their initial offers and see if they give you the cheap rate to lock you in; or try signing up from their main page instead of signing up through their WoW pages.

The worse news: they somehow didn't anticipate that they'd get a metric crapload of site traffic with this beta signup, and so they're really far behind on processing the signups. It was three hours after I signed up that I received email confirming my account, and now it's six hours later and I still haven't received the code that'll let me actually download the beta.

The good news again: if you aren't as much of a Blizzard crackhead as I am, you can save your money and wait a week, and the Open Beta will begin.

ANyone else a Blizzard crackhead like me?
Daniel

Last edited:

CrusaderX

First Post
Do you have to download a new client? I assume the stress test client from the September stress test won't work? Or will it?

caudor

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm all signed up and downloading the client now. It was not painless. I was in the first stress test, and I'm looking forward to exploring the horde this time around.

It is nice that if you are in the 2nd stress test, you are also automatically signed up for the open beta as well.

I'll see you guys online.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Not painless at all :). I stayed up till a little after midnight, feverishly stabbing my finger at the "Send/Receive Mail" button, waiting for the stress-test invite. Finally I went to bed, where i tossed and turned until around four in the morning, when I couldn't take it any longer and got up and went to check my email again--and discovered the invitation had come in about thirty seconds after I'd gone to bed the first time.

So I started the download, which took a good fifteen minutes because their site is slower than a sloth fossil and because there were needless layers that you have to go through before you gain access to the file. And I got up this morning to discover that it had stalled out sometime during the night, at a little over 16% downloaded.

Refreshing the webpage for the download jerked it back into consciousness, and when I left the house this morning it was at 24%. Please, sweet Blizzard, gimme the dang file by the time I get home tonight!

I'll need something to distract me from the news.
Daniel

Thanee

First Post
:D

Will the open beta just be a normal download without all that fileplanet crap?
Does open beta imply, that everyone who signs up will actually get in?

Anyways, while I am looking forward to World of Warcraft, I guess I can wait a few days (or weeks) still. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Thanee, I'm afraid that you may not be eligible for this open beta if you're in Germany; my understanding is that they're restricting this OB to American and Korean servers, and won't be opening the European ones for another few months. Sorry! :(

KainG

Explorer
Final Stress Test FAQ

Open Beta FAQ

Gotta say that I'm a bit relieved that open beta hasn't started this week, cuz I got a school project to finish by the end of the week and if I was in open beta, I doubt I'd get it done.

Thankfully, OB should start next week, and by then I'll be having a few weeks off and spend 24/7 on WoW :)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Woot! Finally last night I finished downloading the program. It took me 48+ hours to download it over the Blizzard servers, but I finally got it. For some reason, Fileplanet was agonizingly slow for me on my home machine: the downloads never exceeded 150 kps, and hovered around 2-6 kps most of the time.

But yesterday at work, on a lark I tried downloading from Fileplanet, and got a consistent 1.2 to 1.5 MPS download. I don't know whether FP upgraded its servers, or whether I just have a rockiner connection at work.

Anyways, I'm playing now, and am thrilled! It is incredibly fun and addictive, even when I'm just running around chopping the heads off tigers and selling their pelts to furriers. This is a game that's going to make me lose sleep.

Anyone else playing? I'm playing Horde on Server 13, but I can't remember my character's name :(. I'll post it later, in case anyone wants to say hi.

Daniel

Remove ads