IN game question what are the rules re targetting invisibile creatures

Dpulse303

Meat head
hi does anyone know the rules regarding targetting invisible creatures with spells or spell like effects ? for example a targetted greater dispell on a creature with superior invisibility....

You must see something in order to target it, generally speaking. Even knowing the square it is in is not enough.

That being said, you could cast GDM as an area-effect dispel on the area near the creature, and hope to catch it inside it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
In theory you could just use the full concealment rules, and roll a 50% chance to hit the target if you chose the right square.

IcyCool

First Post
Mistwell said:
In theory you could just use the full concealment rules, and roll a 50% chance to hit the target if you chose the right square.

I fairly certain this is how it works now with weapon-like spells (i.e. spells you have to roll to hit with).

Mistwell said:

Most of the time, you can't. They only time you can is if you can actually touch the target.

SRD said:
Target or Targets: Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

IcyCool said:
I fairly certain this is how it works now with weapon-like spells (i.e. spells you have to roll to hit with).

Generally, yes. But a large number of them are not targeted spells. The ones that are targeted tend to be touch spells, which is permissable.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
"you must be able to touch" should include ranged touch against a target with full concealment. It should not be a DISADVANTAGE to have an auto-targeting spell instead of a ranged touch spell (the later of which should be HARDER to hit things with). If a ranged touch spell (that might or might not have a saving throw) could hit a target with full concealment, then a targeted spell that automatically hits (and almost certainly has a saving throw) should be able to hit a target with full concealment.

If you feel like being harsh, add that you have to make a ranged touch attack AND beat the 50% concealment. But I wouldn't deny the ability enitrely to try and target an invisible foe. You should have some chance of hitting them if you know the square they are in.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Mistwell said:
"you must be able to touch" should include ranged touch against a target with full concealment. It should not be a DISADVANTAGE to have an auto-targeting spell instead of a ranged touch spell (the later of which should be HARDER to hit things with). If a ranged touch spell (that might or might not have a saving throw) could hit a target with full concealment, then a targeted spell that automatically hits (and almost certainly has a saving throw) should be able to hit a target with full concealment.

Most spells that use a ranged touch mechanic don't have targets at all; they have effects.

Scorching Ray creates a ray that heads off 'in that direction'. There doesn't need to be anything there. It is defined by its effect.

Magic Missile, on the other hand, is defined by its target. You can't cast a Magic Missile 'over there somewhere'; you have to cast it 'on that creature' or 'on those creatures'. If you can't define the creature (by seeing or touching, per the targeting rules), there is no spell.

Scorching Ray can get lucky and hit something you don't know for certain is there. Magic Missile can't, because unless you can define your target, there's no missile to hit with.

-Hyp.

Remove ads