Shield Other effect for villain

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I've got a villain who wants to benefit from a Shield Other type of effect. He has charmed another NPC who is willing for purposes of receiving spells, but can't actually cast spells himself. How can the villain shunt half of his damage received over to the charmee?

shilsen

Adventurer
If the NPC has 5HD or more, get a friendly cleric to cast Imbue with Spell Ability on the NPC and grant him a Shield Other spell. And then get the NPC to cast it. The NPC can also get two 1st level spells to cast, so either give him healing ones or buffs for the bad guy.

blargney the second

I forgot about that spell - that'd work great if only he had access to a cleric...

Hmm.. maybe the simplest method would just be to have an artificer make an item of Shield Other 1/day. How much do you figure that'd be worth?
-blarg

Jack Simth

First Post
You want rings of Friend Shield:
SRD said:
Friend Shield: These curious rings always come in pairs. A friend shield ring without its mate is useless. Either wearer of one of a pair of the rings can, at any time, command his or her ring to cast a shield other spell with the wearer of the mated ring as the recipient. This effect has no range limitation.

Moderate abjuration; CL 10th; Forge Ring, shield other; Price 50,000 gp (for a pair).

nittanytbone

First Post
shilsen said:
If the NPC has 5HD or more, get a friendly cleric to cast Imbue with Spell Ability on the NPC and grant him a Shield Other spell. And then get the NPC to cast it. The NPC can also get two 1st level spells to cast, so either give him healing ones or buffs for the bad guy.

Does the BBEG have a friend with one rank in Use Magic Device? Or, if he's an enchanter, I'd hope he himself has high CHA and thus half a rank in UMD as well. Given enough out of combat time, said friend could perhaps cast the required spells off of a scroll?

Humanaut

First Post
Personally, i'd find the Friend Shield Rings dangerous... once the PC's get them... you know they'd try to get a Cohort cleric to stay at "home base" and just cure themselves from spells, wands and scrolls while the PC 1000miles away gets beat down.

But my players are crafty and crazy, so i have to be too... :^)

I like the UMD idea, something disposable/ PC's can't use.

akbearfoot

First Post
There was a module, or maybe it was just an adventure our DM put together once. I wasnt actually in that game, but I heard about it 2nd hand.

It had the BBEG who had himself chained together to several slaves. All the damage he took was divided up amongst the slaves and himself. So the PCs had to either come up with another way of disabling him, spend the time destroying the chains, or be responsible for killing innocents.

It was nasty.

blargney the second

The villain has a boatload of UMD. He casts as a duskblade though, so a scroll of Imbue Spell Ability wouldn't actually do anything if he used it himself. Giving him a cleric ally to use the scroll would be unfortunately contrived at this point. :(

The Friend Shield ring would do the job, but it's way too valuable for this party to get - they're only level 8 and already dripping with loot. I had no idea that item even existed, though!
-blarg

Remove ads