• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Other than vaguely European medieval fantasy...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Like... further down in the thread you quoted?

No. That's still just what is in the setting. Those same elements could be campy comedy, grim and gritty, action adventure, political (yes, you can do politics with those!)... there's a whole lot more to the feel of a thing than just the names of some of the setting elements.

Didn't know if you'd read all four books because there is a change/shift in tome between the first two books and the last two.
I haven't actually. I read the first reprinted one, and turned aside for some other stuff.

What changes?
No. That's still just what is in the setting. Those same elements could be campy comedy, grim and gritty, action adventure, political (yes, you can do politics with those!)... there's a whole lot more to the feel of a thing than just the names of some of the setting elements.
Err... OK. But I specifically asked about the combination of those setting elements.

Maybe not necessarily specifically; I gave it as an example. You're trying to draw this in another direction and have a different discussion about it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One of these days, if I can convince my players to play along, I want to run a campaign based off of the premise, "It's yesterday's world of tomorrow today!" It would be a near future game, and be rooted in what people 60 years ago thought the world would be like 60 years from then.

A tidbit that might be useful to you (or anyone) if you ever run such a game - there's a name for that style: "retro-future".

And you can check out Retropolis for great artwork along that line.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Might I recommend a Polynesian-based mythology? This is an old project of mine that I have shelved for the time being...the working title for it is "The Fire Islands." Right now, all I have is the pantheon and a prestige class.

The Gods of the Fire Islands
(Development Thread | Download PDF)

The Rain Dancer Prestige Class
(Development Thread | Download PDF)

I've probably got some notes and stuff around here somewhere, maybe some maps and monsters or whatnot (unless it all got lost in the move...) If you're interested, I'll look for it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Err... OK. But I specifically asked about the combination of those setting elements.

Maybe not necessarily specifically; I gave it as an example. You're trying to draw this in another direction and have a different discussion about it.

No, dude. I'm actively trying to find out where you want to go.

You said you wanted "ideas for how to make my setting have the type of feel that I want for it". But you didn't talk about the a feel, you listed a number of setting elements. That doesn't add up to a feel, yet, or at least not to me.

You've got a whole bunch of stuff there - but we won't know the feel until you tell us about how those things interact, and the general play style you intend. That's why I asked for more information - so suggestions are a whole to more likely to hit close to the target.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) I added a link to the aforementioned Saturday Morning cartoon based campaign.

2) Harry Turtledove's Darkness novels detail a fantasy realm's version of WW2, with a generally low magic level, except for certain powerful rituals (like the Necromantic version of a Final Solution and its implications). The setting contains all kinds of nifty alterations of WW2 minutia, like cinnabar-eating dragons used as mounts for the air-forces, and interesting takes
on fantasy firearms, tanks, nukes and Project Habbakuk.

3) An afterlife campaign could be cool. Have the PCs play all kinds of deceased adventurers- either a party from a TPK (which you could roleplay) or derived from all kinds of eras and regions of the underlying campaign world- tasked with a mission that will take them throughout the various planes of existence...

4) Play a fantasy version (modern or traditional) of War of the Worlds. Use Mind Flayers and/or Beholders as the aliens.

5) And as always, check out the link in my sig.

Edgewood

First Post
There was an old animated movie back in the 80's called Fire and Ice. It was based on the Frazetta look and feel but slanted heavily on the end of an ice age where humans were at the dawn of their reign and where neolithic cultures seemed to thrive as a sub-race.

In addition, the movie 10,000 BC also seems to be a good backdrop for that sort of untamed world that is in a major climate shift. I think that would be pretty interesting as a campaign setting.

Pbartender

First Post
A tidbit that might be useful to you (or anyone) if you ever run such a game - there's a name for that style: "retro-future".

And you can check out Retropolis for great artwork along that line.

I knew about "retro-future", but I just enjoy the wordplay. :p

Retropolis I hadn't heard of, though... The posters they have available are awesome.

Somebody hit Umbran with XP for me, please.

Remove ads