Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

Cleon

Legend
Looking pretty good!

You know, as a ranger TWF he'd be better off with a Large-size battleaxe and shortsword for his hybrid form.

What we need is a magic weapon that changes size with its owner or that remains at one size but does not have an inappropriate size penalty. Let's see whether anything in the SRD will qualify...

Hmm, the closest I can find in a sun blade:

SRD said:
This sword is the size of a bastard sword. However, a sun blade is wielded as if it were a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use. (In other words, the weapon appears to all viewers to be a bastard sword, and deals bastard sword damage, but the wielder feels and reacts as if the weapon were a short sword.)

Would that allow a Large-sized Werecreature to wield a Medium-sized sun blade as an appropriately sized shortsword? Hmm, if it's wielded as a shortsword it could have two sun blades and they'd count as light weapons, even when the werebeast is in humanoid form... :devil:

Shade

Monster Junkie
What we need is a magic weapon that changes size with its owner or that remains at one size but does not have an inappropriate size penalty. Let's see whether anything in the SRD will qualify...

Actually, this is probably a greater problem with the template we need to address. Not every example will have a sun blade, after all. :confused:

The way I see it, we have four options:

1) A dire lycanthrope's weapons supernaturally resize with it.

2) A dire lycanthrope's weapons remain unchanged, and the 'thrope suffers no penalty for fighting with weapons sized for smaller creatures.

3) Give 'em all the oversized weapon ability (like the titan), and have the hybrid form be the norm, and the humanoid form fight with bigger weapons.

4) Write up some complicated mess of an ability to detail how to treat its humanoid-sized weapons as equivalent smaller weapon while in hybrid form.

Obviously, #4 is my least favorite. I'm probably more enamored with #2 or #3 than #1.

Cleon

Legend
Actually, this is probably a greater problem with the template we need to address. Not every example will have a sun blade, after all. :confused:

The way I see it, we have four options:

1) A dire lycanthrope's weapons supernaturally resize with it.

2) A dire lycanthrope's weapons remain unchanged, and the 'thrope suffers no penalty for fighting with weapons sized for smaller creatures.

3) Give 'em all the oversized weapon ability (like the titan), and have the hybrid form be the norm, and the humanoid form fight with bigger weapons.

4) Write up some complicated mess of an ability to detail how to treat its humanoid-sized weapons as equivalent smaller weapon while in hybrid form.

Obviously, #4 is my least favorite. I'm probably more enamored with #2 or #3 than #1.

That oversized weapon option is awful tempting... :devil:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Option 3, then. So the humanoid form has oversized weapons (assuming the hybrid form is a larger size category), but the hybrid must use normal-sized weapons?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Option 3, then. So the humanoid form has oversized weapons (assuming the hybrid form is a larger size category), but the hybrid must use normal-sized weapons?

That's what I was thinking, yes. It gets around the magical resizing of weapons.

Here's the titan ability that needs genericizing...

Oversized Weapon (Ex): A titan wields a great, two-handed warhammer (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) without penalty.

Probably like so...

Oversized Weapon (Ex): A dire lycanthrope in humanoid form wields a weapon sized for its hybrid form without penalty.

Mortis

First Post
I may have been playing the game wrong for years ;) but I thought that weapons resized when their carrier changed size. IE if the party's wizard casts Enlarge Person on the fighter all the fighter's gear changes size as well.

Doesn't the same apply here? Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Regards
Mortis

Remove ads