'Student' athletes

Ahnehnois

First Post
Meh, it's education. Everyone should at least be able to give it a try and how much money their parents make should have nothing to do with it. The rich get smarter? No thanks. I'd much prefer an equal field of play.
Just to come back to this for a second, the other thing that concerns me about educational access is the variety of things that people consider "education". There are entire universities that are essentially fraudulent, either as diploma mills or because they do something other than education. It's very questionable whether that is a "right".

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Just to come back to this for a second, the other thing that concerns me about educational access is the variety of things that people consider "education". There are entire universities that are essentially fraudulent, either as diploma mills or because they do something other than education. It's very questionable whether that is a "right".

I could have a field day with that one, but it would be interpreted as insulting and/or offensive to people's religions.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
That might be an exception, though neither of those teams is exactly the cream of the crop of professional football. However, there are plenty of counterexamples.

But they were good at a time. The Bengals could be considered to be good right now. The point is that OSU football always was king.

The D-league hardly compares with the tiered leagues of European soccer or the enormous minor league baseball system. It just isn't enough.

Oh, I agree.

And if someone wants to spend their entire life earning Ph.D. after Ph.D. in liberal arts fields while never getting a job? Again, I like education too, but there are limits.

So set limits. You get your first PhD free, the second is on you. Obviously something more elegant could be devised but it's not like it's impossible to structure this.

I totally agree that money ruins things, including education, and that massive reforms are needed at all levels.

And I do think that the whole student athlete thing is a bit of a dodge. Creating a small number of poster boys-people who come out of poverty and go to school next ti societal elites on a sports scholarship-covers up the enormous number of non-athletes who never get that chance. When these examples of fraud happen, it breaks us out of our illusion that everything is fine, and ignorance is bliss.

Well we're totally on the same page here.

Again, this can be structured. There's no reason not to have oversight and standards. It could get messy, sure, but it'd be better than this pay to learn stuff we've got going on now - especially with the ridiculous cost. People need to be educated and not just for themselves. You want a better world? Make education something everyone can get easily.

High School was supposed to be that 'easy' education but the world has told us that it's not enough. If the consensus is that a HS diploma isn't good enough then obviously the HS system fails at properly educating people. We need to move the bar.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
An under-educated population is easier to control. Why should they change the system? They've been working hard to make High-school less and less effective!

Remove ads