D&D 5E Why D&D? - Complexity is not fun for me

Grimstaff

Explorer
Since switching to 5e from Pathfinder, the biggest difference I've noticed is the increase of story focused play as opposed to PC optimization. That's a good thing, for us at least. We're plowing through RotRL at an incredible pace, and the next chapter of the storyline is always a bigger deal than getting to that next feat or class feature.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Since switching to 5e from Pathfinder, the biggest difference I've noticed is the increase of story focused play as opposed to PC optimization. That's a good thing, for us at least. We're plowing through RotRL at an incredible pace, and the next chapter of the storyline is always a bigger deal than getting to that next feat or class feature.
This is one of the things I noticed when running 5e as well. I think the reason is the faster combat that lets you run through that mini-dungeon in an hour or two instead of more than a whole session. This leaves more room for story, which makes it more important to the players and makes the leveling process less important.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Revelation five: I'm not as digital as I once thought I should be. I'm feeling like the computer is getting in the way of me engaging the game. I'm faster with 3-ring binders, physical books, notes, a GM screen and 3x5 cards. Maybe I'm more old-school than I thought, but I'm seriously going to ditch my digital for an analog table. I thought maybe music would be fun, but it's also just distracting. I just need people and imagination! It's more fun to me. It will also make playing in the retirement home after the apocalypse MUCH easier...
This is my experience as well. For instance, the way I am doing initiative now is to have a cardboard triangle for each monster with a number on it, and one for each PC with the name on it. We roll for initiative, and then I sort the cardboard triangles in a line in front of me, first initiative to my right, last on the left. I use a token to show who's initiatve it is. What this accomplishes is to track initiative so everyone knows who's turn it is and it's really easy to remove dead monsters from the list and so on.

For the session, I keep a A4 page with notes with likely encounters, the monsters I think will be in them, their HP and possibly a pre-rolled initiative. If it's homebrew, I might have some additional notes as well. I usually get 4-6 encounters per page. If it's a dungeon or house or some other place where you might draw attention from nearby locations, it's really easy to move a monster from one encounter to the next my just crossing it out from one encounter list and putting it in another.

For story, I usually write a cheat sheet (max one A4 page) and it's usually more than enough for a 4-6 hour session.

Prep time necessary? Not much. Concretize ideas/read the module, write the cheat sheet. Make a list of likely encounters with monsters. Done in about an hour. More important is probably to write some notes during or after the session. Let's say half an hour. I usually start each session by going through the notes from the previous session(s). It helps the players get off facebook and into the game. It also help clearing up misunderstandings from the previous session.

The prep above works just as well with 4e and 5e, it's just that I can get through a more encounters/story in 5e than I can in 4e in the same time. That's after I "optimized" the 4e party to be direct damage dealers/low defence instead of condition inflicting/high defence characters. 5e comes naturally "optimized" for quick combat.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I'd say 5e is on the "heavier" side of medium-complexity. It's not the complex beasts that 3e/4e/late 2e were, there's games that *LAP* D&D for complexity (Rolemaster!), but 5e is going simpler, and a lot of what appears in the DMG/PHB/MM is options, not essentials (hence, the Basic game!), but it's still got a lot of moving parts. A game like FATE or Dungeon World indeed strips out a lot of that -- and has some interesting stuff!

The 5e Core rules (PHB + DMG) word count must be 40% ballpark higher than 3e, so it is a little questionable to claim one is much "lighter" than the other.

2e + many splats and 3e + many splats are both undeniably heavy games. But if we really cared about a lighter experience, 2e and 3e Core are fine starting points, and one could just shave down from there -- the splats would be a nonfactor if your goals are clear in your mind.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yup... the difference is almsot entirely the additional classes and their spells, and additional races and backgrounds... The actual rules in Part II are word-for-word identical.

Which is less core rules than most editions of D&D have had! But still a lot more than some other RPGs.

The 5e Core rules (PHB + DMG) word count must be 40% ballpark higher than 3e, so it is a little questionable to claim one is much "lighter" than the other.

How are you deriving that impression? The 3e tomes have the same page count as the 5e ones, have smaller text, smaller margins, and less art. There is definitely more word count in 3e PHB+DMG than in 5e PHB+DMG.

Remove ads