D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Even if the hut had no floor, if the hut were full of PCs then the earth elemental would not be able to enter the hut because creatures cannot move into an occupied space just by moving.

It might try to push, but it would have to push a PC upward. Is that doable?

It's not feasible to have 9 people inside a 10' x 10' space either if you're following occupied space rules properly. So if the guideline doesn't apply it's fair to say the push rules are unnecessary too.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
Crawford's exact response: Leomund's tiny hut creates a dome, not a hemisphere. There's no floor. #DnD

The rest of the thread either says "Yay" or "Boo" with a lot of people saying "Boo".

Sorry to say you're reading the posts out of order. Crawford was the one who corrected himself to say it DOES have a floor. Here are the tweets in order, with date stamps: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/24/does-leomunds-tiny-hut-have-a-floor/

It's not feasible to have 9 people inside a 10' x 10' space either if you're following occupied space rules properly. So if the guideline doesn't apply it's fair to say the push rules are unnecessary too.

A 10' radius. Plenty of room.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Sorry to say you're reading the posts out of order. Crawford was the one who corrected himself to say it DOES have a floor. Here are the tweets in order, with date stamps: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/24/does-leomunds-tiny-hut-have-a-floor/

Yes, your interpretation is one possibility, but his last reply is not clear and nowhere in the RAW does the spell actually state hemisphere. "It intentionally says hemisphere" is not "there is a floor". In fact, that line "it intentionally says hemisphere" could be taken as a question, a statement or some other nonsense.

A 10' radius. Plenty of room.

Perhaps, but if a medium sized creature takes up a 5' x 5' area, there are then 8 possible 5' x 5' areas in a 10' x 10' cube and then you take into account the "dome" that stands to reason that there's less space than would be required for 9 medium creatures to fit and get good rest.

Magic is required to make the math fit, and that's fine.. but if you're going to leave it up to magic then you must also leave it up to DM fiat for interpretation of things interacting with said magic.

Be well
KB

BlivetWidget

Explorer
nowhere in the RAW does the spell actually state hemisphere.

See PHB p255, Leomund's Tiny Hut, under range.

"It intentionally says hemisphere" is not "there is a floor". In fact, that line "it intentionally says hemisphere" could be taken as a question, a statement or some other nonsense.

The response you have an issue with is in response to someone else's question regarding domes vs hemispheres, and has no bearing on the floor question. Crawford's final answer on the issue of floors is "Leomund's tiny hut does have a floor." No interpretation required. He then simply states, in response to someone else's question, that no typos were made.

Perhaps, but if a medium sized creature takes up a 5' x 5' area, there are then 8 possible 5' x 5' areas in a 10' x 10' cube and then you take into account the "dome" that stands to reason that there's less space than would be required for 9 medium creatures to fit and get good rest.

I don't know where you keep coming up with this 10' cube. 10' radius means the hut is 20' wide, 10' tall at the center. I will agree with you that this will not accommodate 9 cube people. But creature size tells you how much space a creature controls in combat, not how much space they actually occupy. You can comfortably fit 9 people in that much space. For any of us who have ever gone camping even once, I can tell you that's a generous amount of room for 9 people.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
See PHB p255, Leomund's Tiny Hut, under range.

The response you have an issue with is in response to someone else's question regarding domes vs hemispheres, and has no bearing on the floor question. Crawford's final answer on the issue of floors is "Leomund's tiny hut does have a floor." No interpretation required. He then simply states, in response to someone else's question, that no typos were made.

I don't know where you keep coming up with this 10' cube. 10' radius means the hut is 20' wide, 10' tall at the center. I will agree with you that this will not accommodate 9 cube people. But creature size tells you how much space a creature controls in combat, not how much space they actually occupy. You can comfortably fit 9 people in that much space. For any of us who have ever gone camping even once, I can tell you that's a generous amount of room for 9 people.

This comes down to my needing to revisit hooked on phonics.

1. I was reading 10' radius as 10' diameter for some reason. That should make the math work. It also tells you why your math works, you were reading it properly. Sorry about that.

2. To the floor argument, this has already been beaten to death here sometime last year. Link

Apologies, now back to regularly scheduled posting.
KB

BlivetWidget

Explorer
Indeed, we're all just trying to get to the facts here. As that twitter thread showed, sometimes even the lead rules designer isn't sure at first what the lead rules designer meant. Side effect of using a natural language and expecting people to come to the same interpretations. Sometimes I wish the rules sections were more like a programming language, but I think they'd lose a lot of audience that way.

As to the thread at hand, I'm eagerly awaiting the time when Treantmonk can update the document to include thoughts on the Xanathar spells. I know there's a separate thread for that, but it's not wizard-specific and that makes a big difference.

Stormbrooke

First Post
Would not Mystic 1/Wizard X be better than Cleric 1/Wizard X for a one level dip?

Mystic 1 with Immortal chosen as the Mystic Order gives you proficiency in heavy armor and shields, INT as your second class' casting stat, and depending on your choices you could end up with all of the following: an at-will that moves the enemy away from you, advantage on initiative switched as a bonus action to +1 to AC, and finally 4 Psi points that can be used to cast a +4 shield-like power twice.

Not bad for a one level dip.

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Would not Mystic 1/Wizard X be better than Cleric 1/Wizard X for a one level dip?

Mystic 1 with Immortal chosen as the Mystic Order gives you proficiency in heavy armor and shields, INT as your second class' casting stat, and depending on your choices you could end up with all of the following: an at-will that moves the enemy away from you, advantage on initiative switched as a bonus action to +1 to AC, and finally 4 Psi points that can be used to cast a +4 shield-like power twice.

Not bad for a one level dip.
I believe this guide is only based on official material.

Remove ads