D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Yeah, but there are a lot of creatures, even at high level, that have a poor chance of actually making that save. A Balor is CR 19 but only has a +5 intelligence saving throw. Against a wizard's very likely saving throw DC of 19 (or even higher) it's not hard to get multiple rounds of pain out of that spell. Marilith? +4. Dragon Turtle? +0. The Ancient Chromatic Dragons? Anywhere from +0 to +5. They do have Legendary Save, but it's likely that they won't blow a Legendary Save on those effects unless you're the only magic user in the group.

Non-spellcasting monsters have uniformly weak Intelligence saving throws. And even the spellcasting ones rarely having it as an insurmountable save; you have a 50/50 chance of affecting an Androsphinx with an Int save. Out of all creatures in the basic book of CR 15 or higher, only the Kraken (???), Lich, and Solar have a better than 50/50 chance of succeeding against an Intelligence save. Which is why I think Phantasmal Force was rated too low even with Treantmonk's disdain of 'all or nothing' spells.

Compare that to, say, Constitution. I think there's only one monster in the MM > CR 15 that has less than +8.

That aside, I think Wizards really dropped the ball when assigning saving throw proficiencies. There's nothing suggested in the PHB or DMG that Constitution or Wisdom should be such hopeless saving throws to target. I think it's completely ridiculous and unfair that if you're going to be fighting mainly minibosses and boss monsters at high level you should pretty much completely ignore spells that target those two saves.

Last edited:

It's an annoying and puzzling nerf. It doesn't really stop it from being used, since there's plenty of ways to get nonmagical fire where you want it into the field without it being a hassle -- it just stops some of the more natural combos like using it on a Create Bonfire or Wall of Fire or Flaming Sphere. And it's not like it was all that great of an option on those either.

Just set some flammable piece of scenery on fire with Fireball and use Pyrotechnics.

CapnZapp

Legend
. There's nothing suggested in the PHB or DMG that Constitution or Wisdom should be such hopeless saving throws to target. I think it's completely ridiculous and unfair that if you're going to be fighting mainly minibosses and boss monsters at high level you should pretty much completely ignore spells that target those two saves.
You make many good points, but here I don't see where you're coming from.

Learning what ability to target against which monsters is supposed to be a player skill. It's always been that way.

(That high level play as regards saves is very shaky is not in question, just this last bit)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
It's an annoying and puzzling nerf. It doesn't really stop it from being used, since there's plenty of ways to get nonmagical fire where you want it into the field without it being a hassle -- it just stops some of the more natural combos like using it on a Create Bonfire or Wall of Fire or Flaming Sphere. And it's not like it was all that great of an option on those either.

Just set some flammable piece of scenery on fire with Fireball and use Pyrotechnics.
I'm assuming there will be errata. If you're talking about a PHB spell that's included - with differences - in XGE?

ro

First Post
Learning what ability to target against which monsters is supposed to be a player skill. It's always been that way.

Supposed to, perhaps, but it is unrealistic. Spells in 5e are very lopsided toward their save choices. You can't easily say, "I know my enemies are great at Wisdom and pretty good at Dexterity and Con, so I'll just target Int and Cha" because there are evenly few Int and Cha spells.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Yeah, but there are a lot of creatures, even at high level, that have a poor chance of actually making that save. A Balor is CR 19 but only has a +5 intelligence saving throw. Against a wizard's very likely saving throw DC of 19 (or even higher) it's not hard to get multiple rounds of pain out of that spell. Marilith? +4. Dragon Turtle? +0. The Ancient Chromatic Dragons? Anywhere from +0 to +5. They do have Legendary Save, but it's likely that they won't blow a Legendary Save on those effects unless you're the only magic user in the group.

Non-spellcasting monsters have uniformly weak Intelligence saving throws. And even the spellcasting ones rarely having it as an insurmountable save; you have a 50/50 chance of affecting an Androsphinx with an Int save. Out of all creatures in the basic book of CR 15 or higher, only the Kraken (???), Lich, and Solar have a better than 50/50 chance of succeeding against an Intelligence save. Which is why I think Phantasmal Force was rated too low even with Treantmonk's disdain of 'all or nothing' spells.

Compare that to, say, Constitution. I think there's only one monster in the MM > CR 15 that has less than +8.

That aside, I think Wizards really dropped the ball when assigning saving throw proficiencies. There's nothing suggested in the PHB or DMG that Constitution or Wisdom should be such hopeless saving throws to target. I think it's completely ridiculous and unfair that if you're going to be fighting mainly minibosses and boss monsters at high level you should pretty much completely ignore spells that target those two saves.

All of this is true. Because of this being true and more spells coming out that target good saves Diviner gets better and better if you get a few low rolls to stick them with. As wield as it sounds Diviners with “1”s in the bag are better than Diviners who rolled well.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

smbakeresq

Explorer
Reading through XGtE, check out Maelstrom. Big area (30'r) at range (120') repeatable damage and control. STR saves, but difficult terrain anyway. Curious what people think.

CapnZapp

Legend
Supposed to, perhaps, but it is unrealistic. Spells in 5e are very lopsided toward their save choices. You can't easily say, "I know my enemies are great at Wisdom and pretty good at Dexterity and Con, so I'll just target Int and Cha" because there are evenly few Int and Cha spells.
Sorry what was the problem again?

(Part of being an effective caster is to have spells that target various saves. Welcome to D&D)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases