D&D 5E Fighter or Bladelock

newsman77

First Post
Hello Fellow Gamers

Could you please give me your advice? I'll be joining an second round of Princes of the Apocalypse in a few days. Our last group wiped, and now we're having to start all over again, at level 1. Our table uses the standard array and only things from PHB & DMG are allowed, and we need to be "good guys" and not a roving murder squad. There are 6 other people in the party: TWF Ranger, Archer Fighter, Melee Cleric, Barbarian, Sorcerer, Valor Bard.

My background is that I'm chasing a member of my order who has gone rogue and become a serial killer. My mentor and I'm are assigned to track him down and bring him back to face justice. We're in Red Larch because that's where he was last spotted after murdering the mother of two other PC's.

So I came up with these 2 builds (Battlemaster & Bladelock). Which one would be the better on to play, to keep up with the pack and still remain useful to the group. My only concern is the Bladelock won't be able to keep up.

1) A Jedi type character, using Warlock to simulate the force push, mind trick etc.
Human Variant Warlock 1
10/16/14/8/12/14
Variant Feat: Alert
Pack: Fiend or Great Old One
**Plans to go Bladelock, pick up Devil's Sight, Darkness, Hex.

2) A more bounty hunter type character
Human Variant Fighter 1
16/12/14/8/14/10
Variant Feat: Polearm Master
Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting
**Plans to go Battlemaster, (with maybe Disarm, Trip attack, etc.) pick up Great Weapon Master at 4, stat buff at 6 and maybe another feat or stat bump at 8.

I like the versatility of the Bladelock with the Eldricth Blast for ranged attacks, which is a weakness for me at melee. However, I'm usually attracted to heavy armored melee types.

What do you think? Which path should I choose?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Welcome to the boards! Is this really your first post after seven years of lurking? Fantastic!

It's really hard to know which way to go: both builds are completely viable, and with a large party it comes down to what you want to play. Of the two, I think the Warlock is more exciting (I've seen so many polearm builds) and since that's less like what you usually play, I think you should go for it.

I'd consider reversing Dex and Charisma if you do -- though how you have it is perfectly workable, for sure.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Please go bladelock. It's an interesting class, and seems like it'd be fun to play. Bear in mind that, until 3rd level, you won't have any proficiency with a blade, so you'll be stuck with a dagger.

newsman77

First Post
Yes, long time lurker, first time poster :) Thank you for the advice.

My initial instinct was to start with 1 level of fighter and maybe take two weapon fighting/Dual Wielder to use two rapiers (or lightsaber as I reflavor them) or even Great Weapon Fighting style with say a maul and the Warcaster feat. That puts me a level behind getting my extra attack, but would allow me to use Eldritch Blast during 5th level to get those two attacks in since that's tied to character level and not class level.

Would a 1st level fighter dip be better?

Mirtek

Hero
I like the versatility of the Bladelock with the Eldricth Blast for ranged attacks, which is a weakness for me at melee. However, I'm usually attracted to heavy armored melee types.

What do you think? Which path should I choose?
Why chose? Just take the best of both worlds:

3) A Jedi type character, using Fighter/Warlock to simulate the force push, mind trick etc.
Human Variant Fighter1/WarlockXX
16/10/14/10/8/16
Variant Feat: Heavy Armor Master
Fighting Style: Defense
Feat at 5th level: Polearm Master

For a bladelock getting the first level as fighter is almost a no-brainer. You gain so much and pay so little.

You'll have the superior defense of plate + defense style + heavy armor master giving you the staying power you need as a bladelock (and saving you from being taxed an invocation by needing to take Armor of Shadows). You can become Str-based which alows to use a polearm to get a third attack to make most of Lifestealer and compete against just firing 4 eldritch blasts. You'll also have prof. in Con-saves in case you want to use concentration spells.

You'll even could still raise both Str and Cha to 20 each with ability bumbs after taking a feat at 5th level.

Most important of all you can have your cake and eat it too by being the heavy armored melee type and being a warlock at the same time

Last edited:

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I would check with your DM that he allows multiclassing and hasn't modified devil's sight to not work in magical darkness (which I gather is an occasional house rule, it is in my game). Looking at your party, I would go rogue or monk. I would also recommend deleting the -5/+10 mechanic from GWM and SS to keep rogue and monk damage viable.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
In a large party with all the roles pretty much covered, fun > DPS. In which case, I would totally go Bladelock. If you're a keener, you could feat into Polearm Mastery and fight from the rear rank with whatever Polearm/Staff you manifest (there is no limitation on your pact weapon; you can change it as often as you wish).

Double your fun by spending your first feat on Magical Initiate. Get yourself two free Wizard cantrips and take Find Familiar as your first level spell. Now (for the low price of 10 bucks a pop), you can manifest as many different familiar types as you can afford. Now it's like you have two, two, two pacts in one!

meomwt

First Post
I've got a Bladelock in the group I'm DM-ing right now, though he hasn't always made the best choices along the line.

With a high CHA to power Warlock spells, you can be the party Face as well as the main damage dealer. Take a couple of Social Skills to help things along.

Hex is a great spell to use in combat, it can be switched from target to target. Our Bladelock just learned that one!

You also need to remember to take Invocations which will assist your play style. If you plan on using Eldritch Blast to help out the Melee Cleric, Barbarian, etc., don't forget to take the Agonizing Blast Invocation, as it adds CHA modifier to the damage dealt. Armour of Shadows might also be good if wanting to mix it up in melee, but you'd need to look at how much protection you can also get from other armour.

newsman77

First Post
GM:
I would check with your DM that he allows multiclassing and hasn't modified devil's sight to not work in magical darkness (which I gather is an occasional house rule, it is in my game). Looking at your party, I would go rogue or monk. I would also recommend deleting the -5/+10 mechanic from GWM and SS to keep rogue and monk damage viable.

So far, Devil's Sight works just the way it's described in the book. No house rules.

The GWM and SS -5/+10 mechanic stays. I believe that's because of the archer fighter. He's taking fighter for the Archery fighting style (+2 to ranged attacks) which means with fighter, he'll likely grab +2 to dex/Sharpshooter & maybe Crossbow Master (or expert, I'm afb) between levels 4 and 8. That would allow him to make ranged attacks up close without disadvantage, get combat advantage to help negate the -5 for +10 damage, ignore cover and pick up multiple attacks plus action surge.

Part of me wants to go Polearm Master Battle Master to be the big number cruncher on the battle field. However, the other part really loves the flavor and story of playing a Jedi. It's a tough call.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
GM:

So far, Devil's Sight works just the way it's described in the book. No house rules.

The GWM and SS -5/+10 mechanic stays. I believe that's because of the archer fighter. He's taking fighter for the Archery fighting style (+2 to ranged attacks) which means with fighter, he'll likely grab +2 to dex/Sharpshooter & maybe Crossbow Master (or expert, I'm afb) between levels 4 and 8. That would allow him to make ranged attacks up close without disadvantage, get combat advantage to help negate the -5 for +10 damage, ignore cover and pick up multiple attacks plus action surge.

Part of me wants to go Polearm Master Battle Master to be the big number cruncher on the battle field. However, the other part really loves the flavor and story of playing a Jedi. It's a tough call.

Hmmm a GWM guy will get dwarfed by the SS Archer Fighter. I would go with the Jedi theme. Best of luck!

Remove ads