Jessica Jones [spoilers allowed]

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm confused. I watched the whole thing. I don't recall any twins. Who was that?

Oh, was that the people in the flat upstairs?

Yup. I liked her in the end. It seems to take a certain depth of actor to play "Ophelia" and perhaps requires a particularly insightful director for such a character to work within a story. I think one danger is the character stealing focus, upstaging others, if it is a particularly strong performance in a minor role and the main cast isn't up to being challenged. I don't feel that happened here. This may have been the kind of danger where it wasn't realized early enough that scenes where this character breaks could stick out like a sore thumb if not written carefully for the overall tone of the series, if not cast with a strong enough actor, or if the scenes weren't given enough time and care by the director in preparation of filming them and during the process. As I say, the actor or the writing of the character brought me back around by the end, perhaps with her last line in the series, but those "mental break" scenes after her loss just played hollow and made the tension building up in the later half of the series arc less powerful for me.

Janx

Hero
I liked it. Wasn't familiar with Defenders or Jessica Jones.

Like DD though, JJ felt like too many episodes to get to the resolution. Especially for as many times as she captured MurderCorpse and he got away.

That could have been trimmed up a bit...

I assume IGH will be the topic of the 2nd season.

At the pace they are going though, it's going to be 2018 or later before we get to the team up series. That's too slow, and these actors are going to be busy/move on or have risk of real life drama when they spread things out across years.

City of Mist

First Post
I thought this show was very very good, even though I enjoyed DD even more. What I liked about both was the investigative slant and the downplay of super-powers, making them more an everyday reality than energy blasts and battle-suits. Both shows were an inspiration to my super-powered investigation game, City of Myst.

Derren

Hero
Watched about half of JJ season 2.
A strong start but loses in the middle as the main plot gets more and more replaced by each characters personal problems. By now I mainly watch to see if the symbolism hints are a red herring or not.

The massive disconnect with the cinema part of the universe (Sakovia Accords) are sadly still there.

A strong start but loses in the middle as the main plot gets more and more replaced by each characters personal problems. By now I mainly watch to see if the symbolism hints are a red herring or not.

The massive disconnect with the cinema part of the universe (Sakovia Accords) are sadly still there.

Ditto...I'm about 4 episodes in.

I thought that they were a little heavy handed with the fore-shadowing for the "villain." I also find it a bit funnier than the first season, but maybe that's just my appreciation for black humor.

Derren

Hero
Ditto...I'm about 4 episodes in.

I thought that they were a little heavy handed with the fore-shadowing for the "villain." I also find it a bit funnier than the first season, but maybe that's just my appreciation for black humor.
It is more funny in the beginning (Whizzer) but that also drops off in the middle.

Spoiler up to Episode 8
[sblock]
And apparently they do their famous last minute villain switch, becuase that worked so well in the past /sarcasm.

Although I am not 100% positive on it as I had to stop watching at that point. But currently I am left wondering if there even is a villain and what the entire point of the season even was. But I still have a few episodes to go and I hope that the symbolism, especially on the coffee mug, had any meaning.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm pretty Disney is letting the quality of it's Defenders shows on Netflix go downhill because it is starting its own streaming service. Ever since Luke Cage the quality wasn't there. Iron Fist was laughable. DD season was about stalling. The Punisher and the Defenders just didn't deliver.

From the critics I've read, JJ season two is about more stalling.

Derren

Hero
Finished JJ season 2 and oh my god was that boring.
Not only were the symbols a red herring, the show did not even recover and instead it kept going downhill so that at the end it was basically at sitcom level where everyone run around like headless chickens and did stupid things and then had long dialogues about the stupid things they did.
I am sure someone will come out and praise the show for character growth and some metaphysical representation of whatever but as a superhero or even just as a crime series it was just yawn.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

how is there a disconnect? Jessica makes a passing comment that "we prefer the term gifted" which may be a reference to SHIELDS Index of Gifted Individuals. I'm happy to assume that following Defenders JJ and others were picked up and processed off camera and are now on the watchlist.
Theres also the direct link of The Raft.

but yeah while I liked the detective noir angle and wasnt utterly bored by the story (as I was with Iron Fist), JJ2 just never quite sparked into anything really compelling. I assume there is an audience for this material but I am not the target audience.

Derren

Hero
how is there a disconnect? Jessica makes a passing comment that "we prefer the term gifted" which may be a reference to SHIELDS Index of Gifted Individuals. I'm happy to assume that following Defenders JJ and others were picked up and processed off camera and are now on the watchlist.
Theres also the direct link of The Raft.

but yeah while I liked the detective noir angle and wasnt utterly bored by the story (as I was with Iron Fist), JJ2 just never quite sparked into anything really compelling. I assume there is an audience for this material but I am not the target audience.

Because under the Accords Jessica would hardly gotten away with all what she did. Ans also the response to a superpowered threat would have been a bit bigger than just the local cops.

Remove ads