D&D 5E Typically, how many hit points is the Durable feat worth?

Yaarel

He Mage
Typically, how many hit points is the Durable feat worth?

Do you feel this feat is worth +2 to your primary ability score?

zaratan

First Post
Resilient is way better. If you already have Con save, +2 to con is better. If you already have a good con, healer is better.

I'd say it is worth less than a +2 to a stat. It counts as a double constitution bonus for hit points, however, it misses out on other things that might benefit from a con increase. You lose out on +1 to con saves or ability checks, barbarians miss out on +1 to AC. I think it's value increases when a PC already has a maxed out constitution as it boosts your hit points beyond what would otherwise be attainable but then if you already have a maxed out constitution then you probably aren't really worried about a low hit point total.

If bought instead of a primary ability increase then you also have to take into account what else you will gain from them. I do feel that 5e is fairly forgiving to players who don't max out their main attack attribute so that not gaining that +1 to hit/damage isn't as big a deal, but there are also all of the extra uses for that attribute that you need to consider (skills, ability checks, saves, initiative if you are dex-focused). I think that basically, unless you are really worried about low hit points or want to create a tanky character that can soak up a lot of damage that the durable feat is a feat that you pick up later in your career, if at all.

I think you're thinking of the Tough feat (the one that gives you +2 hp per level). The OP was asking about the Durable feat, which affects how many hit points you regain when spending HD. More difficult to analyze.

But, since you brought it up... As far as the Tough feat, I think there are some cases when it is preferable to the Con boost. An example is my character who will hopefully have rules for gestalt/AD&D/hybrid multiclassing to convert to (waiting on that variant to come out), but for the moment is planned out to end up with 7 levels fighter and 13 levels wizard. He's intended to be a front-linish type of character--at least on par with a cleric, though behind a fighter or barbarian. Unfortunately, with all of those wizard levels and multiple attribute dependency, enough hp to pull that off it going to be difficult. Getting the extra hp I need out of Tough is more attractive than getting the other bonuses out of Con with half the hps.

bid

First Post
It's better for classes with 1d6 than those with 1d12:
Con14 (1 -> 2) = 1/6 1/8 1/10 1/12
Con16 (1,2 -> 3) = 3/6 3/8 3/10 3/12
Con18 (1,2,3 -> 4) = 6/6 6/8 6/10 6/12
Con20 (1,2,3,4 -> 5) = 10/6 10/8 10/10 10/12

For a Con18 wizard, it's worth +1 hp per HD. You might as well get Con20 with all its other bonuses.

Some example could help, so Con18 wizard rolling HD:
- roll 1 = 4+4 = 8 hp -> extra 3 hp, 1/6th of the time = +0.5 average
- roll 2 = 4+4 = 8 hp -> extra 2 hp, 1/6th of the time = +0.33 average
- roll 3 = 4+4 = 8 hp -> extra 1 hp, 1/6th of the time = +0.17 average
- roll 4 = 4+4 = 8 hp
- roll 5 = 5+4 = 9 hp
- roll 6 = 6+4 = 10 hp
Average = 8.5 hp compared to 7.5 hp without durable

Con20 would have a minimum of 1+5 = 6 hp, almost as good as Con18 + durable 8 hp.

It's really a trap feat.

Last edited:

I did get mixed up, problem with being away from the books. I actually have no recollection of the durable feat by the sounds of things since that is not ringing any bells at all. Does it let you reroll poor dice rolls?

No, it's an underwhelming and forgettable feat that sets a minimum hp recovery per HD spent at your 2x Con mod (I think--it's not worth remembering).

I'd say that even without the tough feat, your multiclass character would be on par with a cleric as the average of your hit points would be just slightly behind the cleric. However, your reasoning is essentially one of my listed reasons to take the feat, namely, being worried about low hit points. Since you'd be proficient in con saves, the extra +1 to con saves wouldn't be as critical as a straight wizard running into melee so I can understand taking the tough feat.

Pretty much. +2 Con is usually better. Tough is just there for when you don't need the Con as much as you just need a lot of hp.

Illithidbix

Explorer
Hmm. It is easily confused with the Tough feat (which gives +2hp/level).

Durable said:
Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

When you roll a Hit Die to regain hit points, the minimum number of hit points you regain from the roll equals twice your Constitution modifier (minimum of 2).

I suppose if you're wanting to increase your Constitution to an even number and don't have a better use for the other +1 ability score, it has potential, esp. if you are already proficient in Constitution saving throws, so don't want Resilient.

It depends how much you short rest and hitdice heal in your games. A game without much magical healing might get a fair millage out of it.

It could be pretty useful for Fighters with their two extra ASI

But it still seems fairly overlookable.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Not the greatest of feats, but situationally useful. If you are a low HD character who takes a lot of damage, it can reduce spells needed to heal. It does also grant +1 CON, which if you have planned ahead and have an odd CON score is useful.

This might be a better feat later, when you have already maxed your primary stat. The bonus to Con will give more HPs (1 per level if you had odd before), plus you need more to heal.

All that said, this is probably a 3rd tier feat. Not horrible, but unless you are looking at +1 to Con and have low HD it's probably not the top of your list. However in that case it may be better than +1 to Con and +1 to something else.

mellored

Legend
Durable is only worth while with an odd Con score, and no need for resilient Con or tavern brawler. (Such as already having Con saves, resilient Wis, or resilient Dex). It's a very niche, but not useless feat.

Tough is nearly identical to, but slightly worse then +2 Con. Much worse for anyone who uses Concentration saves. No particular reason for it to exist IMO. Unless you already have 20 Con and want more HP.

Ristamar

Adventurer
The Durable feat always seemed a bit weak. I don't see it being useful except for high risk campaigns in which healing magic is sparse and opportunities for rest are rare but sorely needed. Even then, there are probably better options.

I've considered tacking on the choice of an extra benefit that fits within the traits of durability to make it more attractive.

Options:
  • You have advantage on Constitution saving throws against diseases and poisons.
  • You have advantage on Constitution saving throws to remove or resist exhaustion.
  • You cannot be killed from massive damage when reduced to 0 hit points and any further or remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum. If you take damage while you have 0 hit points, you do not automatically fail the death saving throw.

Remove ads