D&D (2024) Playtest 6: Feats

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm not in love with raising a stat to 22 at 19th level. I'm guessing that will be dropped before this finalizes.

Also, I think you should either only be able to take the ASI feat once or have it only give +1 to 2 stats (no more +2 to 1).

I'm not in love with raising a stat to 22 at 19th level. I'm guessing that will be dropped before this finalizes.

Also, I think you should either only be able to take the ASI feat once or have it only give +1 to 2 stats (no more +2 to 1).
I'm not sure how I feel about the 19th level bump. Where would they put that rule? If it is feat-only, the beginning of the feat section? Does that cap increase interact with other ability increases from other sources?

But the ASI needs to allow +1 to two abilities, or +2 to one ability. If at 4th level, I have all even-number stats, it is absolutely terrible to force me to take +1 to two stats, which gives me NO BENEFIT for another 4 levels. (This matters even more for groups where the DM only allows ASI and not other feats).

For those that have played with players that some took feats and some took ASI. Was there any huge discrepancies between the two? Just curious, cause I've never played with feats.

Pedantic

Legend
The issue is really only with primary accuracy stats. You can make a case for Dex for AC, but I think that's tight enough to weigh against feat benefits, but +1 to hit (and usually +1 to damage) is trivially, but not obviously the best choice in nearly all cases.

I just give my players +2 to their accuracy stat at each ASI in addition to the ASI until it's capped, and WotC should follow suit. There's no reason to present players with a choice when it's just not meaningfully a choice, and adding 1-2 extra ASIs in isn't going to break anything. At non-feat tables all you're really doing is slightly bumping defense and off-role skill checks.

Just give both. Given the stat array currently out there, I don't think there's really much risk in getting a massively overpowered character if one were to get both a Feat and an ASI.

Horwath

Legend
There is another option: Only have feats and increase the point buy during character creation so players can get their PCs to 18 first level. Account that +4 will be the highest anyone gets. After that, it's always a feat.
remove +2/+1 racial ASI, default array:

No ASIs, except in special class feature cases, IE barbarian.

variant; point buy

pool 22 pts.

cost:

8: 0 pts
10: 1 pt
12: 2 pts
14: 3 pts
16: 5 pts
18: 8 pts

Vaalingrade

Legend
if you make every feat half feat with floating +1 and make ASI +1 to two scores you have done that.

Primary ability will increase at the same rate in both case, just the "simple" option boosts secondary ability and feat gives more options.
That is not decoupled. That is lodging the inflected splinter in deeper.

No ASI on any feats. All feats get beefed up to full feat. ASIs are their own thing or not a thing. That's what I'm looking for. Let's not make being boring an option.

Because it's a choice between optimization and actual choices.

Bounded Accuracy makes every point you can squeeze out so precious that sacrificing customization for basic competency for the non-rogue, non-bard is almost a given
Nah. It's a power balance thing. In 5e (2014) there are a tiny number of feats worth putting off a primary stat boost (PAM, GWF, SS, XBE, maaaaybe a couple of others situationally). But with the D&Done half feats being good and the normal starting primary stat being 17 at 4th level taking a half feat is almost always best and by L12 three half feats are great. Which means that the L8 feat is a much more genuine choice

Remove ads