D&D 5E Why does no one play Goliath?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Looks like Spam bots still can't figure out how to not thread necro.

We're safe from the singularity for another day.

Unless that's what they want us to think.

Dausuul

Legend
I don't find that many campaigns involve so many flying foes as to require dedicated anti-air. Besides, who wants to play a character who gets confused trying to walk up a ramp?

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
1/4 tables I've played D&D5 at had a Goliath PC, FWIW. (I don't mean "25%", I mean literally I've PC'd 5E at four tables and one of them had a Goliath Barbarian.)

The thread title makes it sound like you're talking about Goliath from Gargoyles.

Traycor

Explorer
As for Goliath in the Bible, although orthodox hermeneutics would deduce that he is a gigantic man, more imaginative interpretations have occurred over the millennia, including the idea that he was descended from the wayward Nephilim, the "sons of God" who were "giants in the earth in those days."

Orthodox hermeneutics always interpreted Goliath to be a gibbor, or rephaim giant (i.e. not human). It's only in recent modern times that the traditional interpretation has become unpopular (because it involves the supernatural) so he has been reinterpreted as a tall human. The human interpretation doesn't hold up to scrutiny when analyzing the text.

Retreater

Legend
In my campaign world (which includes games in 4E and 5E), most goliaths are found in the Goliath Steppes, which is a mountainous region situated between the Ogre Kingdoms, Dwarven Holds, and the Grand Sultanate. All three nations use them as mercenaries, though the ones in the Sultanate are considered more akin to the Half Giants in Dark Sun. So they have a place in my campaign world, as do many other races.

smbakeresq

Explorer
For Goliath (and others day with powerful build) I let them increase weapon damage by one die size once they5 make the effort to get custom made weapons. I also count them as one size larger, so a Goliath Shield Master can prone huge creatures.

If someone plays a Goliath I also guarantee I will put in adventure locations in high, cold altitudes to let them use that trait.

I also give them %50 range bonus on thrown weapons, and I also let them toss large heavy objects as if they are proficient in them as in their original description when first introduced. If you were that size and strength you could literally throw bowling balls like an NBA center could throw a basketball.

gyor

Legend
The interesting thing about the Goliaths is their culture, it's Nomadic Libertarianism basically, which no other D&D race has as a culture.

I would say "nobody plays goliaths" is not a problem. They are supposed to be a minor race in a world dominated by humans.

"Lots of people play goliaths" would be a problem, especially if they start to outnumber humans. If that happens with any minor/rare race it suggests they are too strong mechanically.

S'mon

Legend
I play in a handful of games and we have 5 Goliaths.

2 in mine. My Varisia campaign has 5 PCs - 1 elf 1 goliath 1 dragonborn & 2 human. My Primeval Thule game has had a couple dozen PCs, the goliath is the only non-human in the 'regular cast'. Occasional & one-off PCs have included 2 elves.

I think people who are aware of goliaths play them a fair bit.

Remove ads