D&D 5E Where does optimizing end and min-maxing begin? And is min-maxing a bad thing?

CTurbo

Explorer
I always thought an 8 was at least close to average for any score. I do play a 6 Int Barbarian that I do portray as "dumb" as in he cannot count or speak in full sentences. He is not a complete drooling idiot though. Our party found and freed a young feral Halfling that we gave an Int score of 4. He is near animalistic in how he acts.

There are occasions where I want my character to be great at everything and then there are times when I want my character to be great at some things and not so great at others. Having those weaknesses makes the character fun IMO.

CTurbo

Explorer
The game works with optimized, min-maxed, gimp, and everything in between - but the trick is that the game works best when PCw within a party have similar levels of efficiency. You want to avoid one PC being significantly more powerful than other PCs. As long as you stick to that target, things will be fun for all.

I completely 100,000% agree with this. There is nothing worse than wildly unbalanced characters.

In the game I am currently playing, there is a single-class rogue and a multi-class paladin/champion. At their current levels, the rogue can usually manage to land a sneak attack every round, for about 35 damage. To contrast, the paladin can action surge and smite to deal three or four times that much damage; and it can do so on-command, every single day.

If we're fighting a monster, for example, then the cleric might open up with a Flamestrike, and then the rogue could maneuver for a sneak attack. But then the paladin goes, and it deals so much damage that not only is the monster vanquished, but it would have been vanquished anyway, even if the cleric and rogue hadn't done anything. Two players are left with the sad realization that their contributions toward this shared goal were entirely meaningless, because one player is the only one who mattered in determining the outcome. That is an example of one player outshining others.

A similar example, from Pathfinder, sees a witch and a sorcerer fighting a group of several ice monsters while they each have a Fireball spell available. The monsters each have about ~80 HP, and the witch goes first with a Fireball that deals ~50 damage to each of them, followed by the sorcerer with a class/race/feat optimized Fireball for ~90 HP. The witch ends up feeling like a chump, because even though this was an ideal situation to use that spell, their entire contribution and all of the resources they expended amounted to nothing.

That's just from personal experience, though. YMMV.

The paladin/champion just wasted resources. Action surge and smite on an already quite dead monster is stupid... maybe his 8 intelligence justify that action.
The rogue can do his 35 damage all day long...
The only way he can really feel bad is if everytime the paladin uses that combo a long rest is done.
Otherwise, if the paladin just uses that combination on an enemy leader, I guess noone would complain.
Even the flame sgrike should at least softened up a few differen targets... otherwise the cleric wasted resources.

And the 3e example is also not as bad as it may seem. After the witch did 50 damage, the fireball of the sorcerer kills even on a successful saving throw. And if you do 50% of the damage with an off discipline compared to someone specialized in that it seems not so bad.
Actually I would worry if a specialized character is not substantially better than a non spezialized one. That actually is a bigger problem in 3e. A cleric or druid that can deal as much damage with spells as the sorcerer and fight better than the fighter....

The only way he can really feel bad is if everytime the paladin uses that combo a long rest is done.
I'm not the DM in that one, and even if I was, the DM doesn't exactly have a lot of tools to prevent the party from taking a long rest. (At least, not without cheating.) Let it suffice to say that there has never, for as long as I've been playing in the campaign, been a point where resources were sufficiently drained to the extent that the paladin had to regret using his spell slots to smite.
And the 3e example is also not as bad as it may seem. After the witch did 50 damage, the fireball of the sorcerer kills even on a successful saving throw. And if you do 50% of the damage with an off discipline compared to someone specialized in that it seems not so bad.
It was Pathfinder, and the likelihood that any of those enemies would have made a successful save against the sorcerer is negligible.

And why do you think that the witch was acting out of its specialization? It wasn't optimized for Fireball because the witch is a non-standard class, and thus lacks the many racial and class options which are available to the sorcerer across many supplements. It's not like they lacked Spell Focus for Evocation or anything.

I'm not the DM in that one, and even if I was, the DM doesn't exactly have a lot of tools to prevent the party from taking a long rest. (At least, not without cheating.) Let it suffice to say that there has never, for as long as I've been playing in the campaign, been a point where resources were sufficiently drained to the extent that the paladin had to regret using his spell slots to smite.It was Pathfinder, and the likelihood that any of those enemies would have made a successful save against the sorcerer is negligible.

And why do you think that the witch was acting out of its specialization? It wasn't optimized for Fireball because the witch is a non-standard class, and thus lacks the many racial and class options which are available to the sorcerer across many supplements. It's not like they lacked Spell Focus for Evocation or anything.
Hmmh... not the game's fault if the paladin can always smite and rest...
If your workday is just 5 min, then of course the game is totally imbalanced...
The DM may have no say in when everyone rests... except dor the villains just doing their thing off stage...
And the rogue may just go on without the paladin who is just refusing to go on...

Ok it may be the game's fault that one class is just bad... I have never played pathfinder so I just thought the wirch could also heal and such...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using EN World mobile app

Hmmh... not the game's fault if the paladin can always smite and rest...
If your workday is just 5 min, then of course the game is totally imbalanced...
I'm not actually blaming the game here, even though the designers could have tried significantly harder to implement some semblance of balance into the system. I'm not blaming the DM, either; the DM is doing the best he can, under the limitations of the system, without resorting to cheating.

As requested, I'm just pointing out some examples of instances where one character completely outshines other characters, to the point where the other players feel bad about how little their contributions mattered. When one character is so much more effective than the others, such that the other players are reduced to the audience around a one-person show, then they aren't having as much fun.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Ok lets get one thing out of the way, I know there is no official concrete definition of these terms, and this is all open to interpretation

So I was asked to be a Cleric by the DM of a new group I am about to play with, I agreed since I've wanted to play a Tempest Cleric anyway. So we're under standard phb rules, nothing fancy, but he did say he was ok with variant human. I wanted to play a variant human because I have not yet done so in 5e. So right off the bat I knew that I would make a Str Cleric, and a Dex Cleric and then decide between the two. Either way my Cleric was going to be tough.

So I presented to him the two Clerics with everything else equal save for some obvious skill changes like athletics/acrobatics

Str Cleric - 16 str, 8 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, and 8 Char with the Heavy Armor Master feat. 18 AC with armor + shield and 1d8 weapon.

Dex Cleric - 8 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, and 10 Char with the Defensive Duelist feat. 17 AC with armor + shield and 1d8 weapon.

Well he called me a min maxer. I don't think he meant it in a derogatory way, but that's how I feel about the term min-maxer. To me, I'm just optimizing a good tough Cleric.

I've looked through google for the definition of "minmax" and course the results vary greatly, and the Str Cleric does fit the minmax definition in a lot of instances. The Dex Cleric WOULD be more well rounded for sure.

Which begs the question, what is the proper amount of optimization before it becomes a negative thing? Is it so bad to make your Barbarian as strong as possible? Is it wrong to make your Sorcerer as charismatic as possible? It seems logical that as a Cleric, I will want to pump Wis and either Str or Dex right? Wouldn't it be irresponsible to purposefully build a low Dex Cleric? haha. I know there are always exceptions based on role playing purposes. I am actually playing a 14 Str Halfling Barbarian right now in a game where we rolled for stats so I could have started with an 18.

So what do you guys think the term min maxing means? Is it always a negative thing, or is it acceptable at times?

You did minmax.

The term isn't confusing particularly - it's taking the lowest possible stats in one area of little direct relevance to the primary abilities a character class and using the points to buy the maximum stats in the ones that are.

That's what you did, and your GM was right on the money.

As to whether it is a negative thing, that is a loaded question with arguments on both sides.

I tend to value roleplay over rollplay and characterisation over gaming the system, and I have been playing and GMing a very long time so have seen plenty of instances of both extremes and everything in between.

It isn't a popular position to take with proponents of the opposing argument, and although a very well informed opinion, it is just an opinion - but I find in the significant majority, minmaxers and power gamers are cut of the same cloth (yes there are exceptions but they are rare...) and such behaviour in long running games tends to be counterproductive and creates tension, arguments, grandstanding and a bunch of other stuff that detracts from the group's fun.

Of course if everyone is a minmaxer at a table then there isn't a problem, but I cannot say I have seen that more than a couple of times in my 39 years rpg'ing.

So, is it negative - yes, in my opinion, and I would judge someone doing it as the kind of player who wouldn't work well in a campaign I ran. I have had them before of course, and had everything from them complaining that I was 'forcing' them into challenges that relied on their dump stats to getting angry about me using minmaxed villains who used their weaknesses against them, despite their being perfectly good reasons and opportunities for the villain to study them and to want to neutralise their one-track-minded uberness. I even had one player leave one of my campaigns because they couldn't easily get hold of the perfect set of magical items they had planned to further minmax their 'build'.

There is often, in my experience a strong element of self-entitlement at play with many minmaxers, and in the aforementioned case he expected me to give him whatever he wanted as and when he wanted it as this was the only way he could have 'fun', and it was my 'job' to make the game fun for him in this particular way.

Is minmaxing acceptable - clearly that depends on the people you are with, but it's often divisive in terms of what it produces and how it is played if the entire group isn't comfortable with it. If your GM isn't comfortable with it, then you really don't have a right to demand that you can do it. The GM sets the tone of a campaign - they are doing most of the work after all, and make the final calls on such things.

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The game works with optimized, min-maxed, gimp, and everything in between - but the trick is that the game works best when PCw within a party have similar levels of efficiency. You want to avoid one PC being significantly more powerful than other PCs. As long as you stick to that target, things will be fun for all.
So true. Though, deviation from that target can also be fun for all if it is agreed upon and intentionally enacted, rather than an "accident" of how the game progressed or how the characters were built.

I completely 100,000% agree with this. There is nothing worse than wildly unbalanced characters.
I think that wildly unbalanced expectations is a strong contender. I can imagine spot-fixing unbalanced characters while continuing a campaign (and have done that in both the boost-the-weaknesses and trim-the-strengths ways before), but am hard pressed to imagine how I can maintain the psychological horror aspect of a campaign while satisfying player expectation of their characters being one-liner dropping action movie cliches that never run out of ammo and can get over any injury that doesn't kill them with simple bandages and booze.

I'm not actually blaming the game here, even though the designers could have tried significantly harder to implement some semblance of balance into the system. I'm not blaming the DM, either; the DM is doing the best he can, under the limitations of the system, without resorting to cheating.

As requested, I'm just pointing out some examples of instances where one character completely outshines other characters, to the point where the other players feel bad about how little their contributions mattered. When one character is so much more effective than the others, such that the other players are reduced to the audience around a one-person show, then they aren't having as much fun.

I admit that depending on the adventure's scale, it may be very effective to be on a long rest basis and I actually changed long rests to be a whole day of rest, i e. 2 nights instead of just 6 hours. (A little bit different actually but that is mostly accurate). But it is still in my hand to challenge player characters equally.
A rogue is insofar very good, because his resources replenish on a turn basis. So every fight that goes over more than a single round, will favour the rogue more and more. Even better if there is more than 1 fight per hour which in a dungeon enviroment should happen frequently. Even the threat of a second hard encounter in a single day would leave that paladin reduced in power. 3 levels champion lower his number of slots significantly which are not too much to begin with.
And last but not least, the rogue will bring a significant amounr of other abilities to the table no damage output in short bursts can make insignificant. If the rogue player thought, he built a one hit wonder damage machine he thought wrong... except if he is an assassin that is allowed to fight alone frequently. Then he might barely keep up... and still can do that more than once per short rest.

machineelf

Explorer
It's quite subjective, but for me the best definition of a min/maxer is a person who puts optimization well ahead of a character's personality, background, quirks and other traits in terms of character creation, sometimes to the point where optimization is the only thing that's important and every choice is made with maximum power in mind.

It's more than just numbers, too, because of course we all to some degree or another are going to pick options that work best for us for combat, skills and other areas. I would say that it really comes down to session in/session out play-style.

A person can optimize, but if while they play their character they make choices based on the personality of their character, for good or ill, then optimization doesn't bother me. But when a person is all about optimization and they never care a bit about playing a character's personality and background and whatnot, and their play-style seems to be more about winning, with roleplaying being a nuisance to them, then it gets annoying.

Having said that, everyone is different and this is pretty subjective. If everyone in the group is having fun, then there is no problem.

Remove ads