The Orville - Season 1

I assume I'm not going to be the first person to say this (and I'm not going to scour the 45 pages of posts between the Discovery thread and this one to find out who was first), but the Orville really seams more like Star Trek to me than Discovery does right now. From the big stuff like the overall concept being episodic and exploration based instead of being a war drama, to the little stuff like the lighting and sound, and even including the characters and allegorical plots, it just feels more Trekkie to me. To be fair, parody requires a lot less continuity and is guaranteed to be nitpicked less. But Orville nailed the aesthetic while Discovery seems hell bent on reinventing it.

Ryujin

Legend
I assume I'm not going to be the first person to say this (and I'm not going to scour the 45 pages of posts between the Discovery thread and this one to find out who was first), but the Orville really seams more like Star Trek to me than Discovery does right now. From the big stuff like the overall concept being episodic and exploration based instead of being a war drama, to the little stuff like the lighting and sound, and even including the characters and allegorical plots, it just feels more Trekkie to me. To be fair, parody requires a lot less continuity and is guaranteed to be nitpicked less. But Orville nailed the aesthetic while Discovery seems hell bent on reinventing it.

Orville also seems more Trek in the way that they slip in the social commentary, as opposed to the sledge hammer of Discovery. I've seen three episodes of Discovery and, where I would ordinarily give a show 5 or six before deciding if I would keep watching, I'm already done with Discovery.

Mallus

Legend
But Orville nailed the aesthetic while Discovery seems hell bent on reinventing it.
The way I look at it, The Orville is comfortable replicating ST:TNG (with bits of TOS thrown in) while Discovery is trying to boldly go someplace new (despite being a prequel), and without being entirely successful.

I'm glad both are on. But I'll give the Orville this, despite the obvious amount of money spent on Discovery, the Orville wins the Beautiful Sci-fi Imagery Award so far, for the lovely "opening the sun roof on the generation starship" scene and the equally great "flight through the dark matter globules" & "into the wormhole" scenes in the last episode.

It's sights like that that really justify SF on TV & the silver screen.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Opening the sun roof was fantastic. Loving what they are doing with the Orville. I still need to start watching discovery. It's on my watch list but I still haven't started it.

Remove ads