D&D 5E Falling Rules and actually Falling

Tormyr

Adventurer
As an idea for falls pier 100ft.:

If you accidentally fall, rules as per book.

If you intentionally jump, you die, no save.

I would think that the result of an intentional jump would be better than one where a creature is forced off and cannot control any of the variables.

Stalker0

Legend
I think the exploding dice for falling is the best rule I've seen so far....just because the uncertainty can give players that pause (it's high unlikely this fall will kill me...but there is always that chance).

I would also combine this with the static damage for distance if you want it even deadlier.

So 50 ft, 5d6+ 50, any 6s are added in and rerolled.

200 ft, 20d6+200, any 6s are added in and rerolled,

With those numbers, even 20th level characters should have a healthy respect for gravity.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I think the exploding dice for falling is the best rule I've seen so far....just because the uncertainty can give players that pause (it's high unlikely this fall will kill me...but there is always that chance).

I would also combine this with the static damage for distance if you want it even deadlier.

So 50 ft, 5d6+ 50, any 6s are added in and rerolled.

200 ft, 20d6+200, any 6s are added in and rerolled,

With those numbers, even 20th level characters should have a healthy respect for gravity.

This is balanced well for high level characters. 284 average damage will knock out a level 20 full hp character and put them on death saving throws with a chance of an outright kill for low hp characters, but a first level character would never willingly drop down any depth. At 1d6+10, that damage can outright kill a 1d6 HD character at full hp or any character at 1 hp. If a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check was added as a reaction to reduce damage by the value of the check, I think it could work.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Pain points:

1. The damage dice cap failed to increase in proportion with increased HD, actually played character levels, and easy Con bonuses.
Solution: Increase the cap to 40 or 50 dice (with electronic dice rollers this isn't nearly as onerous as it would have been 40 years ago).

2. Rolling large quantities of dice narrows the likely result.
Solution: Add Exploding Dice (also made easier with electronic dice rolling).

3. The number of dice doesn't scale up fast enough for the distance.
Solution: Switch to dice per 5'

4. Accounting for creature size/inertia/air resistance - reduce fall distance by the Space of the creature and grant Tiny and smaller creatures Evasion with a Save versus falling damage.

Working House rule:
Falling does 1d6 Exploding bludgeoning per 5' fallen beyond your Space (creature size). The number of dice caps at 50d6 (exploding). Tiny and smaller creatures can make a DC 15 Dexterity save for no damage otherwise they take half.

We reach the old cap of 20d6 at 105' fallen for a medium creature. The cap of 50d6 occurs at 255' and the relative smallness of a d6 versus a larger dice includes a certain risk of significantly higher damage especially if you use the same dice the players used to roll their stats (that character with multiple 18s).

Remove ads