D&D Campaign Settings you have played most in your life

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Riffing off of Morrus' thread on D&D editions, I'm curious to see which settings you've spent the most time playing and/or DMing.

1) Homebrew. This encompasses a lot of different settings, but most of our 3.5 campaigns in college were in homebrew settings. I had my own generic fantasy setting, but we also played in a pirate campaign, a setting based off of the old Thief PC games, and then another setting I created based on Greek mythology. The only established setting we ever played in was...

2) Eberron. This is probably going to overtake the #1 spot eventually; I love it and my players love it. My old college group even ran a couple of campaigns in it. Great fun was had by all. My current campaign is adapting Tyranny of Dragons to Eberron.

3) Dragonlance. One of the few times my brother let me play with him. I had a kender because I was like... 7 and obnoxious. Can't recall most of it, to be honest. The only memory I have was that we were in a pyramid, and I spent an entire battle being unable to find a place to dig my hoopak into the ground.

4) Dark Sun. The other time my brother let me play. I had a thri-keen because I was like... 8 and obnoxious. We died. A lot.

5) Forgotten Realms. A few brief online sessions back in the heady days of AOL dice rolling macros. This shoots up to #3 or maybe even #1 or #2 if you count PC games; I've spent a lot of time with Baldur's Gate and Eye of the Beholder. Finally playing Icewind Dale for the first time currently. The games are fun but the setting never really appealed to me in as a TTRPG setting.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Planescape on and off since the 90s (including my current D&D 5e campaign) and Eberron through much of D&D 3.5e and D&D 4e. I've only done one Eberron one-shot plus a short-form scenario in D&D 5e though.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
1. Dragonlance. When I was in high school we played D&D 3-5 times a week, and since I ran the games 80% of the time, and 90% of my games were set in Dragonlance, this one wins easily.

2. Eberron. Almost all of my 3.x games were set in Eberron.

3. Ravenloft and Dark Sun. The other 20% of the games I played in high school were set in these worlds.

4. Thunder Rift / Spelljammer / Primeval Thule. My 5e campaign started in the Thunder Rift, detoured through Spelljammer and landed in Primeval Thule. That's the ongoing one now. Eventually it might overtake the others, but I just don't/can't play often enough now for it to happen quickly.

Ed Laprade

First Post
Usually a mish-mash of settings, because most of the DMs I've played with (and myself) have used adventure modules indiscriminately. So a lot of Greyhawk, mixed the Feakin' Realms, mixed with whatever. And the occasional homebrew, of course.

Why yes, I do still use my old TSR modules, even today.

AriochQ

Adventurer
Played? The homebrew setting of my DM in college. Eventually Forgotten Realms may catch up through Adventurer's League play, but it isn't really the same as a 'campaign'.

DM'd? Greyhawk. I have run every one of my campaigns since 1980 in Greyhawk.

Remove ads