Sorry Folks, I just can't get into 5e

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I've seriously tried, but I cannot get into to anything beyond Basic D&D and AD&D1e. D20 just does nothing for me. Every version that came out, I tried to read the game rules and be part of the interest but the game is so different than Basic/ADD1e that it might as well be an entirely different game altogether.

I really tried more so with 5e because I was under the impression that the creators made this so it would interest the Mystara people, but it doesn't. It's like playing football one day and waking up in a place where football is now called soccer and you were expected to jump in and learn the rules.

Or maybe it is like being happy with my vinyl records and cassette tapes (ask your grandparents!), and then the music industry decides to only print CD's forcing you to make life changes in how you purchase and listen to music.

signed,

Lost in Indiana

You're allowed to have your own likes and dislikes; I figure as long as you gave it the ol' college try, you're allowed to decide its not for you.

Having played literally all editions of D&D, I can understand! However, if my friends and current players discovered that I wanted to run B/X or something similar, they would all literally tie me up and commit me. My games are deadly enough in 5e.

CydKnight

Explorer
Everyone's likes and dislikes are based on their own unique past experiences. Unique as in everyone is different even if only to varying degrees. This doesn't necessarily make it right or wrong. It is simply different and that's OK.

irish44

Villager
Ding!!! Why come to a 5th edition forum and make that statement?? I am not going to spend the time on it. Once again beware of the trolls!!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ding!!! Why come to a 5th edition forum and make that statement?? I am not going to spend the time on it. Once again beware of the trolls!!

Don’t call people who don’t like the same things you do names, please. If the thread topic doesn’t interest you, please find one that does.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As has been noted, pre-2000 D&D remains one of the more popular RPGs, and continues to get lots of new material, plus having tons of old material readily available.

You can easily play via the inter-webs, and have a good chance of putting together a face to face game.

I think it would probably be easier to find a game then even the most popular newer games that are not D&D, like Savage Worlds or FF Star Wars, which is its own kind of commentary, for another thread.

Celebrim

Legend
I think I would be fine being a player in 5e, but I don't really want to take the effort to learn to DM 5e - not when I'm perfectly happy with my ability to DM 3e.

Right now in order of preference...

3e - But only if using my house rule set. 3.5e without mods would drop very far down this list, especially for play above 9th level and doubly so for chargen that didn't stick to the core rules.
1e - With or without some balance tweaks and cleanup to make the rules actually coherent. This is only true because I'm familiar with the game. If I wasn't, it would go way down the list unless patched.
BECMI - But not with the Chargen system, which I have always despised. Solid simple rules for combat resolution, but if I'm forced to use BECMI chargen, this drops to last place.
2e - With or without house rules. It's actually a pretty solid ruleset on its own, and comes close to first place for an unmodified version of the game. I think RAW 3.X beats it only at low levels of play, say up to 7th or so.
5e - I haven't really played it, but there is a lot of things I like about it. It's just I'm not really interested in learning a new system, and I don't love this one enough to be excited about it and there are some elements of the math that I think would annoy in the long run. With some familiarization, I'm pretty sure this would creep up a couple of places.
4e - I'd play it, but not run it. I'd probably only play it in the long run with a DM that transcended it and used it only as a framework.

I think the most important thing is that the rules aren't the most important thing. The DM and your fellow players will make or break the game. Rules can be altered to your taste. DMs can adopt processes of play that create game experiences not apparent from the rules. Any player who is a good RPer can make just about any ruleset fun.

As has been noted, pre-2000 D&D remains one of the more popular RPGs, and continues to get lots of new material, plus having tons of old material readily available.
Yep, classic D&D is still relatively popular.

I think it would probably be easier to find a game then even the most popular newer games that are not D&D, like Savage Worlds or FF Star Wars, which is its own kind of commentary, for another thread.
But nope, the available statistics says classic D&D is not as popular as you think.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5009-Orr-Group-Q4-2017-Shows-Large-D-D-Bump
http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...unds-Ruleset-Usage-Q1-2018-All-Holding-Steady!

Zardnaar

Legend
Yep, classic D&D is still relatively popular.

But nope, the available statistics says classic D&D is not as popular as you think.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5009-Orr-Group-Q4-2017-Shows-Large-D-D-Bump
http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...unds-Ruleset-Usage-Q1-2018-All-Holding-Steady!

Multiple games on that list are OSR. Also alot if it is offline. 3 groups I have played with in the last few years 0 online.

Added up the D&D OSR variants are comparable to a few of those not D&D's. Internet is used to find players for OSR it's probably the 1st or 2nd best source to find players. 5E players are the other ones. Run AD&D or B/X at the local University club you get players easily.

Not claiming massive numbers but outside USA other RPGs barely exist.

Remove ads