Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Hussar

Legend
I think the Borg are the Trek cyborgs. They don't seem big on half machine/organic normally. Could be wrong my knowledge of Trek is limited but you don't see Alot of things other Sci fi has.

Yes, we haven't really seen a whole lot of "cyborg" stuff in Star Trek. About the only character that comes to mind with any sort of prosthetic is Geordie from TNG and his visor. Data was full on android and not human at all.

It is a missing element really. They explain why genetic manipulation isn't a thing (Eugenics War - Khan) but, they've never really delved into why no one in Star Fleet is sporting any technological enhancements.

Zardnaar

Legend
I find that episodic structure kinda formulaic and boring these days, but we all like different things.

I can go either way but make it good. If you're running a serial there are better ones than STD in the Sci fi genre. The Expanse comes to mind. Episodic seems to be a Trek thing though and thing like Babylon5 also did it better in terms of serial.

And STD is apparently really expensive as in Game of Thrones expensive. The thread title is dated its at least getting better.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes, we haven't really seen a whole lot of "cyborg" stuff in Star Trek. About the only character that comes to mind with any sort of prosthetic is Geordie from TNG and his visor. Data was full on android and not human at all.

It is a missing element really. They explain why genetic manipulation isn't a thing (Eugenics War - Khan) but, they've never really delved into why no one in Star Fleet is sporting any technological enhancements.

It's just a thing. Star Wars doesn't really have nano tech and the old Legebds had damn near everything including zombies.

Hussar

Legend
Can't find the picture now. Just thought she was an interest g looking character and wanted to know more.

It's the main thing I don't like about Discovery two seasons in and very little character development and only a few of the crew seem to matter. It's quite noticible with DS9 which has a Quark episode a Dax episode etc.

Again, it's more about the number of episodes per season. Remember, the first season of DS9=2 Seasons of Discovery. Well, close enough anyway. That gives you a heck of a lot of space to add in a bunch of character detail. Plus, DS9 only really had one over arching plot (well, a couple anyway) that ran for the entire series. That's a 176 episodes.

Disco is telling a different story every season (apparently) without a lot of crossover between the seasons. Which means that every season will likely be very different. Certainly more different than what we got across seasons of any other Trek.

Again, speculating here, but, likely Pike won't be captain next season. He'll likely head back to the Enterprise along with Spock. Which means Season 3 would be wide open for what they could do. But, it is a different sort of story telling than we've seen from Star Trek in the past. It's not episodic like TNG or TOS, but, it's also not an ongoing plot line like DS9 or Voyager.

That does make it hard to make comparisons between the shows.

Hussar

Legend
It's just a thing. Star Wars doesn't really have nano tech and the old Legebds had damn near everything including zombies.

Well, no nanotech, but, considering their main bad guy for the first three movies was a cyborg, it's certainly a thing in Star Wars. :D

Heck the good guy had a prosthetic hand for much of the series too.

Zardnaar

Legend
Again, it's more about the number of episodes per season. Remember, the first season of DS9=2 Seasons of Discovery. Well, close enough anyway. That gives you a heck of a lot of space to add in a bunch of character detail. Plus, DS9 only really had one over arching plot (well, a couple anyway) that ran for the entire series. That's a 176 episodes.

Disco is telling a different story every season (apparently) without a lot of crossover between the seasons. Which means that every season will likely be very different. Certainly more different than what we got across seasons of any other Trek.

Again, speculating here, but, likely Pike won't be captain next season. He'll likely head back to the Enterprise along with Spock. Which means Season 3 would be wide open for what they could do. But, it is a different sort of story telling than we've seen from Star Trek in the past. It's not episodic like TNG or TOS, but, it's also not an ongoing plot line like DS9 or Voyager.

That does make it hard to make comparisons between the shows.

Might blow up in their faces though. I'm not a Trekkie but even I know it's more towards the episodic thing.

Different is good of course but not so radically different the fans turn on it.

Hussar

Legend
But that's the point [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] - While TNG and TOS were episodic, DS9 and Voyager weren't. So, it's hard to say which style is more suited.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you're running a serial there are better ones than STD in the Sci fi genre.

I think STD is excellent. It’s the only show other than Gotham that I get excited about each week right now, and probably will be until Game of Thrones returns.

It’s important to understand your personal tastes are just that. They are not shared by everybody.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think STD is excellent. It’s the only show other than Gotham that I get excited about each week right now, and probably will be until Game of Thrones returns.

It’s important to understand your personal tastes are just that. They are not shared by everybody.

True but a lot of Trekkies don't like it.

We used to watch Gotham but wife pulled the plug on it season 3 or 4. I understand it got better with Dominic portraying the Joker. We liked his character in Shameless.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases