Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi argument

pukunui

Legend
Hand waving travel times us fine they didn't make any effort at handwaving training time.
"They" don't have to make an effort. If *you* can handwave travel times, then *you* can handwave training times, too. None of the movies actually give any indication of how much time passes in between scenes. Rey could have spent months with Luke in TLJ, just like Luke could've spent just a few days with Yoda in ESB. There's really no way to tell how long either of them spent training.

You'll have to go through an edit out all the extraneous quotes from your previous posts. At the moment most of them are walls of quoted text.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"They" don't have to make an effort. If *you* can handwave travel times, then *you* can handwave training times, too. None of the movies actually give any indication of how much time passes in between scenes. Rey could have spent months with Luke in TLJ, just like Luke could've spent just a few days with Yoda in ESB. There's really no way to tell how long either of them spent training.

But we know from Anakin that it takes several YEARS to become a Jedi Knight. Obi-Wan was still teaching him tricks and how to do things even when he was a teenager.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But we know from Anakin that it takes several YEARS to become a Jedi Knight. Obi-Wan was still teaching him tricks and how to do things even when he was a teenager.

He wasn’t really learning much by the start of II. It didn’t take all that time to get him to a certain power level or ability to use the Force to do neat tricks. He was already there as a Force User, he just wasn’t done with his training as a Jedi, which in the Old Republic was a lot more than using a lightsaber and the force.

And he does more rad force moves in II than Rey has done on screen so far. By a very wide margin.

pukunui

Legend
I'd be willing to bet most of that did not involve learning how to use the Force so much as how to be a good Jedi and not fall to the dark side. Being a Jedi was as much about keeping the peace as it was about being a Force-wielding warrior. Anakin would've had to learn about conflict resolution and diplomacy as well as practicing lightsaber forms and the like. There would've been a lot of training on self-discipline and self-control as well - and training on when *not* to use the Force. Yoda dispensed with most of that for Luke's training. Luke dispensed with pretty much all of it for Rey's training. Most likely because they both realized it wasn't as important as the thousand generations of Jedi Knights before them thought it was.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'd be willing to bet most of that did not involve learning how to use the Force so much as how to be a good Jedi and not fall to the dark side. Being a Jedi was as much about keeping the peace as it was about being a Force-wielding warrior. Anakin would've had to learn about conflict resolution and diplomacy as well as practicing lightsaber forms and the like. There would've been a lot of training on self-discipline and self-control as well - and training on when *not* to use the Force. Yoda dispensed with most of that for Luke's training. Luke dispensed with pretty much all of it for Rey's training. Most likely because they both realized it wasn't as important as the thousand generations of Jedi Knights before them thought it was.

Yoda warnings quick and easy leads to the dark side. I don't think they rush training that much even the Sith.

Seems it's still canon that Mauls training took decades as well. So did Palpatines. And Anakin's etc. And Dooku.

Rey's the odd one out by a lot lol. Something doesn't seem right here.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend

That's not really true, because Rey's training is given a timeline due to her Force-visions with Kylo Ren. The first one occurs before Luke agrees to train her, and it happens just as Kylo is undergoing surgery to his facial scar, after his bombing run on the Raddus. The events of Rey's training with Luke take place over the same time period as the events of the rest of the movie, and I don't think there's any way to justify those events as having taken months to play out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] you're still constantly quoting my post. Another one, and I'm going to block you just to stop the notifications. Please sort out whatever the issue is with your phone.

hawkeyefan

Legend
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] If you clicked the Multi-Quote button on any posts, they will often remain selected and then be quoted in any future replies. You may have to go to the actual post, and deselect the Multi-Quote buttons on those posts.

No 100% sure that's what's happening for you, but I've had that issue at times in the past, so that may be it.

hawkeyefan

Legend
That's like saying someone who learns how to screw in a screw is a trained mechanic.

No, it's like saying someone is able to block laser blasts fired by a droid while blindfolded seconds after learning there's such things as the Force and Jedi and Lightsabers.

If you want to make an analogy that fits, I'd say it's like someone finding out there are such things as screws, and then being handed a screwdriver, and then they build themselves a house.

We see a few days in the movie, but nothing says it was only a few days. We do see that Anakin at about age 6 not become a Jedi Knight until he's at least 18, if not older. That's at LEAST 12 years to become trained enough to become a Jedi. The younglings were even younger than he was when he started.

I said Luke's initial training on Dagobah is likely somewhere between a couple of days and a couple of weeks. He leaves Hoth at the same time as Han and the others, and then they are pursued by the Empire and hide in the asteroid field, and then head to Bespin. The Empire arrived just before them and sets their trap. How long do you think they're in the asteroid field? How long at Bespin? The movie doesn't offer a timeframe....but seems odd that Vader would wait more than maybe one day to reveal himself to Han, and it certainly seems like it's about that long.

So how long would you say this all takes?

As for Anakin, I think the fact that he was powerful with the Force and capable of things well ahead of his rank as a Jedi is clear. Their rankings are designations only....they need not be indicative of actual ability. That's the system the Jedi have in place. But if we're talking about raw ability, that system doesn't really apply.

Also, I think that a big part of Anakin's fall is the restrictions that the system placed on him, no? The Jedi are holding him back, so to speak. So much of what they do seems to be about avoiding the dark side than it is about actual Force usage. So in The Last Jedi, when Yoda and Luke kind of address the failings of the Jedi ways, I'd think that immediately comes to mind, no? That they were too hung up on doctrine.

In other words, we have no reason to think that training is an absolute requirement, or that the training must be of a certain duration. Luke's own training was incredibly brief compared to Anakin's, no? And he was able to avoid falling to the dark side and actually wound up redeeming Anakin by example. With maybe months of training.

I was hitting bullseyes with a rifle when I was 10. Being a good shot doesn't in any way indicate the force was being used. He wasn't flying an X-Wing when he shot the whomp rats.

During the briefing, the commander says that the vent is two meters, and everyone in the room reacts. Chewie and Han exchange a look of incredulity. One of the pilots says that the shot is impossible, even for a computer. Luke describes it as not a big deal and that he's made similar shots.

While not definitively stated, I'd say this foreshadows that only Luke can make the shot. And what's special about Luke among them all? The Force.

To achieve the level of ability that she has, yes she needs a teacher. At least to achieve it in under a dozen years. That goes for Ray, too.

Not really. Luke achieves his Return of the Jedi level of ability in far less than 12 years. Maybe as much as 1 year, but likely less than that.

Well, it only takes a few days to go from ignorant to a Jedi Knight according to some in this thread, so it really doesn't matter how much was other stuff. 5 minutes a day would still see them be full fledged Jedi Knights within a year at that rate.

Not according to some in this thread....according to what the movies show us. Luke is an incredibly fast learner, at least at first. Then he doubts himslf, and things slow down. Yoda is actually upset that he's not learning faster. And that's over a course of days.

Also, Jedi Knight is a title. Yes, we can assume those with the title must have a certain level of ability, but there's nothing in the films that says someone without that title absolutely cannot have the same level of ability. Actually, we know for a fact that non-Jedi can indeed be just as powerful in the Force.

Took Luke 7 years after RotJ to become a Jedi master.

Where do you get that from? I've no doubt it's been said somewhere, but I don't think it's ever stated in the films.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases