Psionics

Staffan

Legend
An idea struck me while I was considering my Dark Sun conversion (feel free to drop in on the Conversions forum for more about that), regarding psionics. The 2e system had some major problems (like allowing 3rd level characters to get Disintegrate), and 3e psionics are far from perfect either with the main complaint being that they aren't "psionic" enough (OK, after all the things about how they're underpowered). So, how about a new approach?

The idea I got was to use something similar to the magic system from Wheel of Time: you know a few relatively broad powers, and depending on how much juice (power points) you put into these powers you get different effects. One simple power would be Telekinesis, where more PP allow you to lift more stuff, from a pound or two for the equivalent of a 0-level power up to a few tons for the equivalent of a 9th-level power. Another simple example would be Concussion, where damage would depend on PP used. Teleportation might be more complicated, with higher levels either increasing maximum distance, or just mimicing the effects of Dimension Door, Teleport, Teleport Other and Greater Teleport.

You'd get access to a number of powers based on your level - not too many powers, though. Power points would also be based on level. I'm considering giving bonus powers known based on Wisdom (reflecting self-knowledge) and bonus PP based on Charisma (mental strength). The powers themselves would have different stats, though mostly focused on Wis and Cha with a few possibly being Con- or Int-based (Con would be for psychometabolic stuff).

This is still pretty much in the "rough idea" stage, and comments would be welcome.

Scion

First Post
Just a small pet peeve ;) sure the psionic could get disentegrate around 3rd. Of course he had to use nearly all of his power choices to do so, could only use the ability once per day (after useing it be good for nothing for hours and hours), and ran a pretty good chance of killing himself. Plus the creature could save, be immune, or any number of other things. A strong ability yes but there were a ton of drawbacks that people seem to gloss over.

Anyway though, I love the wheel of time system for magic. Compared to d&d magic though it tends to be very weak though.

I think that I would recomend keeping most of the same ideas that it puts forth, effectively copying the whole class and then modifying certain parts to be more psionic in nature. Have feats to power certain specialties (making them cost less power points), have feats to pick up certain power chains, use skills to see just how well you can do certain things associated with the powers. It could all work out very well.

Feel free to email me if you like, I'd be happy to discuss a few ideas with you. I have the wheel of time rpg book and have always wanted to try something like it in d&d.

SteelDraco

First Post
Staffan said:
The idea I got was to use something similar to the magic system from Wheel of Time: you know a few relatively broad powers, and depending on how much juice (power points) you put into these powers you get different effects.

You'd get access to a number of powers based on your level - not too many powers, though. Power points would also be based on level. I'm considering giving bonus powers known based on Wisdom (reflecting self-knowledge) and bonus PP based on Charisma (mental strength). The powers themselves would have different stats, though mostly focused on Wis and Cha with a few possibly being Con- or Int-based (Con would be for psychometabolic stuff).

This is still pretty much in the "rough idea" stage, and comments would be welcome.
I like the basic idea - it sounds like you'd be going toward more of a feat-based psionics system, which I don't necessarily think of as a bad thing. The big problem you'll have is figuring out your list of powers, obviously. The spell seeds from the Epic Level book might be helpful here, depending on how broad you want to get. If you can find a conversion of the Lone Wolf series of books, that'd likely be a good place to draw from as well. A few thoughts, off the top of my head.

Con-Based
Alter Form (Talons through Shapechange)
Bioregeneration (Biofeedback, Body Adjustment, Regeneration, etc)
Improve Body (stat-boosting stuff, though I'm not sure what else you could do.)

Int-Based
Fabrication (creating objects from nothingness)
Harbinger (the various Astral Construct/Harbinger powers)
Create Fire/Acid/Electricty/Cold (however you wanted to do this - I'd probably do one of each, and allow more or less the same effects, possibly with a special effect option based on the element)

Wis-Based
Sense (start with Detect Psionics and similar, work up to True Seeing)
Know Future (Combat Prescience, Augury, Divination, etc)
Far Seeing (not sure what you'd do for low-level effects here, but this would be the scrying tree)
Temporal Control (Hustle through a Time Stop-esque power, with possible stops in Haste and Slow effects)
Manifest Force (Telekinesis, could also do Concussion powers in this line - that'd depend on how many different powers you were thinking of having)
Sense the Past (Object Reading and similar effects)

Cha-Based
Probe Mind (Detect Thoughts up through an advanced Mindwipe/Mind Probe effect)
Influence Mind (Charm Person through Mass Domination)
Disturb Mind (Daze, Confusion, Mass Insanity)
Mental Assault (mental attack powers - things like Psychic Blast and Id Insinuation, converted to powers a la Mindscapes)

DreamChaser

Explorer
I would set up the feats this way:

Mind Forging [Psionic]
You can focus your mind to create things from ectoplasm.
Prerequisite: Intelligence 10+, Psion class
Benefit: Metacreativity...blah blah blah

Mind Walking [Psionic]
Your mind can pierce the viels between worlds.
Prerequisite: Intelligence 10+, Psion class
Benefit: Psychoportation...blah blah blah

Mind Shaping [Psionic]
Your mind can overcome the simple limits of your body.
Prerequisite: Wisdom 10+, Psion class
Benefit: Psychometabolism...blah blah blah

Mind Seeing [Psionic]
Your mind can sense things in ways that other cannot
Prerequisite: Wisdom 10+, Psion class
Benefit: Claisentient...blah blah blah

Mind Speaking [Psionic]
You can reach your mind outside of itself to touch the minds of others.
Prerequisite: Charisma 10+, Psion class
Benefit: Telepathy...blah blah blah

Mind Touching [Psionic]
You can physically affect the world with your mind.
Prerequisite: Charisma 10+, Psion class
Benefit: Psychokinetic...blah blah blah

Then however the powers would work within it. I like the WoT concept and think it could be adapted well to psionics.

DC

Remove ads