Most versatile single class

jarlaxlecq

First Post
No multiclass or Pre- Classes. He doesn't need to be the best at something but what class brings a little bit of everything to the table. Combat, Skills, etc. I'm thinking the Druid. Its got healing spells, decent HPs combat spells. If forced into Melee being a Dire Tiger isn't a bad thing. pulls shape change lets you get away sometimes with not have AS many skill points. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Antoine

First Post
Cleric, definitely.
Domains are great help.

Bards are great too : with skills, spellcasting, combat and use magic device. Lack high level spells though.

Last edited:

Darklone

I think druids as well.

Healing: check, Big bang casting: check, versatility: wildshape check, skills: check, freedom to arrange stats: check, melee: check.

Numion

First Post
Based on my play experience (3.0E) it would have to be the Cleric. In the higher levels the protective magics available to Cleric really make a difference. At 10+ levels I could even double as a rogue for purposes of detecting traps - by walking into them! Usually I came out unscathed because of all the spells.

In 3.5E the durations for the spells have lowered, so I'm not so sure anymore. Miracle is the true killer in play. You can emulate any spells up to 7th level .. hmm .. Holy Sword for example, and the druids Changstaff spells are nice, and unexpected from a cleric.

buzzard

First Post
Cleric and Druid are really the only ones who could even be in the running (unless you include Favored Soul). They can pretty much do everything:
Melee (Druids by wildshaping, Clerics by buffing spells)
Blasting- plenty of offensive magic, though a bit behind wizards
Healing- Big issue here.

Yep, they can pretty much cover all bases. You could get away with a party purely of Clerics and Druids if well designed and not really suffer for it.

buzzard

daTim

First Post
Druid gets a big edge. Insanely good Combat abilities with wild shape and animal growth and other buffs. They get more skill points per level than Clerics, heal well, free animal companion, and have plently of blasty spells. They even get flame strike earlier. Combine all that with the ability to cast in wild shape.

Misirlou

First Post
I think the Wizard definitely deserves mentioning.

Combine an enormous access to spells with a bit of item creation, and he's actually a viable solo character.

More generally, think of how often the party is met with any odd challenge (one the doesn't involve simply killing something), and the wizard comes up with some random spell that happens to be just what you need.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Druid is more versatile, even if the cleric is more powerful overall.

More skill points, good class skills, and wildshape gives the druid a huge edge outside of combat. The cleric also has one combat Achille's Heel: grappling. Druid's do not have any weakness -- of the 11 core classes they are easily in the Top 5 in every category.

Remove ads