Variants/Subclass for a DPR Rogue

Zardnaar

Legend
Swashbuckler/battle master is also really good, and I’d say that CBE is great for any rogue but swashbuckler. It’s a better bonus actionbattack than a dagger or a shortsword, works fine with a rapier in the main hand, and allows you to bop a second dude after face-stabbing the guy in front of you, even if dude 2 is out of your run+melee reach.

Sentinel is beautiful, in a group with multiple melee PCs, but especially with a tank with a mark ability of any kind. They attack you with disad, but you bop them if they attack the tank. I like leaving the enemy no good choices.

My players often build parties that compliment each other. For example one had a Dex based melee Battlemaster. Normally sub optimal started granting attacks to the Rogue or Ranger. Think the cleric had a decent Dex as well and all trained in stealth. Early combat was often the initiative roll mid battle surprise late battle round one maybe 2.

Party was good at ranged, melee, etc didn't matter.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My players often build parties that compliment each other. For example one had a Dex based melee Battlemaster. Normally sub optimal started granting attacks to the Rogue or Ranger. Think the cleric had a decent Dex as well and all trained in stealth. Early combat was often the initiative roll mid battle surprise late battle round one maybe 2.

Party was good at ranged, melee, etc didn't matter.

Stuff like that is really important to remember when talking about how strong an option is. That, and the fact that defense, support, and control are also very important, not just damage.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
[MENTION=6704184]doctorbadwolf[/MENTION]

A rogue that can self cast haste is a very scary character. It's a good thing that only comes up at level 13+.

If I were to do a combat focused rogue I would find a way to add in some NOVA damage capabilities. I think rogue at will damage is about right. It's just paladin's divine smite and fighter's action surge really tend to overshadow them. I feel like a combat focused rogue needs an X times per rest ability that allows him to deal damage as if he had crit on his next hit or something similar.

Zardnaar

Legend

A rogue that can self cast haste is a very scary character. It's a good thing that only comes up at level 13+.

If I were to do a combat focused rogue I would find a way to add in some NOVA damage capabilities. I think rogue at will damage is about right. It's just paladin's divine smite and fighter's action surge really tend to overshadow them. I feel like a combat focused rogue needs an X times per rest ability that allows him to deal damage as if he had crit on his next hit or something similar.

That's the problem with the Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight and Champion. They get good later than the other subclasses. And most games end before level 10.

FrogReaver

That's the problem with the Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight and Champion. They get good later than the other subclasses. And most games end before level 10.

EK is fine if you consider him as the defensive and out of combat option instead of an offensive powerhouse. But there's just not very good evocation and abjuration low level spells and so you have to get your good spells elsewhere. That's the EK's biggest hindrance. Champion gets no good abilities till way later. Arcane Trickster is basically the rogue version of the EK, consider it the defensive and out of combat option. However, at least it's schools of magic offer a lot of good spell options.

Zardnaar

Legend
EK is fine if you consider him as the defensive and out of combat option instead of an offensive powerhouse. But there's just not very good evocation and abjuration low level spells and so you have to get your good spells elsewhere. That's the EK's biggest hindrance. Champion gets no good abilities till way later. Arcane Trickster is basically the rogue version of the EK, consider it the defensive and out of combat option. However, at least it's schools of magic offer a lot of good spell options.

I find they don't get enough spells for to long relative to the abilities of the other classes.

They also have issues around casting the sells raw if you sword and board or dual wield. Or you think rogue plus green flame blade is a good idea (it's not until the later levels and even that's debatable).

FrogReaver

I find they don't get enough spells for to long relative to the abilities of the other classes.

Until they reach second level spells I tend to agree, but you mostly need to save them for defense or very situationally strong uses or out of combat helpers. Once you reach 2nd level spells at level 7 there's some good defensive buffs and even a good offensive one for a fighter now (shadow blade).

They also have issues around casting the sells raw if you sword and board or dual wield. Or you think rogue plus green flame blade is a good idea (it's not until the later levels and even that's debatable).

Well, once you reach 2nd level spells you either prebuff or buff on turn 1 and then you fight like normal. So it's really not an impact at that point. It does impact the shield spell and absorb elements though which is unfortunate. A lot of DM's ignore that restriction so I guess there's that. IMO they shouldn't have restricted spell schools for the 1/3 casters and they would have felt much better.

As far as rogues and Greenflame blade I agree. The better option is booming blade as you can bonus action disengage and perform hit and run tactics. That's interesting and fairly effective. I seem to recall thinking just the scaling cantrip damage on greenflame/booming wasn't worth it later and then I did some math and proved myself wrong. Though I could be misremembering as that was a long time ago.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I’m coming around to that, yeah. I really think the Assassin should have allowed the level 3 crit thing on a target that is surprised, or from which you are hidden. Once per combat, at most, is completely negligible in many games, maybe most.

I’d happily see a “Lethal Ambusher” feat that drops an enemy to 0 if you drop it below X hp with an attack with Advantage, and lets you add an extra weapon damage die when you attack while hidden.

Zardnaar

Legend
Until they reach second level spells I tend to agree, but you mostly need to save them for defense or very situationally strong uses or out of combat helpers. Once you reach 2nd level spells at level 7 there's some good defensive buffs and even a good offensive one for a fighter now (shadow blade).

Well, once you reach 2nd level spells you either prebuff or buff on turn 1 and then you fight like normal. So it's really not an impact at that point. It does impact the shield spell and absorb elements though which is unfortunate. A lot of DM's ignore that restriction so I guess there's that. IMO they shouldn't have restricted spell schools for the 1/3 casters and they would have felt much better.

As far as rogues and Greenflame blade I agree. The better option is booming blade as you can bonus action disengage and perform hit and run tactics. That's interesting and fairly effective. I seem to recall thinking just the scaling cantrip damage on greenflame/booming wasn't worth it later and then I did some math and proved myself wrong. Though I could be misremembering as that was a long time ago.

Even that seems a waste of time. Just dual wield double your chance to sneak attack. Fighter level splash and get Dex to damage off hand as well.

FrogReaver

I’m coming around to that, yeah. I really think the Assassin should have allowed the level 3 crit thing on a target that is surprised, or from which you are hidden. Once per combat, at most, is completely negligible in many games, maybe most.

I’d happily see a “Lethal Ambusher” feat that drops an enemy to 0 if you drop it below X hp with an attack with Advantage, and lets you add an extra weapon damage die when you attack while hidden.

Yea, I think they stop assassain a little short of where it could have been. That said I love assassain on ranged rogues. There's nothing like opening combat up with guaranteed advantage and sneak attack damage.

I think the other thing you could do with a rogue is give them maneuvers that disable enemies and make the combat rogue focus be less damage and more single target debuff / control. *Underhanded Maneuvers* - When you successfully sneak attack you can perform one of the following maneuvers etc.

Remove ads