D&D 5E The "Powergamers (Min/maxer)" vs "Alpha Gamers" vs "Role Play Gamers" vs "GM" balance mismatch "problem(s)"

Satyrn

First Post
The acid test is:

Would the player take a sub-optimal option/make a sub-optimal build choice in favour of adding fluff/flavour to their character.
I like this test.

It looks to me like the only way anyone could "fail" such a test is if they never - not ever, not even once - intentionally made a suboptimal build choice. I imagine there's absolutely no one like that.

I like this test because it effectively brings all gamers into one happy group, leaving no one outside and shunned.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I like this test.

It looks to me like the only way anyone could "fail" such a test is if they never - not ever, not even once - intentionally made a suboptimal build choice. I imagine there's absolutely no one like that.

I like this test because it effectively brings all gamers into one happy group, leaving no one outside and shunned.

JUST AS PLANNED ;)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I like this test.

I think it fails because it's based on the assumption that if you're not playing, at least sometimes, sub-optimally then you are not a roleplayer. How optimally one plays has nothing to do with whether or not the player is roleplaying. If you're determining how your character thinks, acts, and what he or she says - which we have to do in order to play the game at all - then you're roleplaying.

Man, it would be great if the hobby as a whole could get that sorted out so we can move past it. It doesn't help when people refer to social interaction as "roleplay" either.

Satyrn

First Post
I think it fails . . .
You mean my attempt at a sarcastic reply? You bet it failed!

I'm sorry, [MENTION=6846794]Gardens & Goblins[/MENTION], but I don't actually like your acid test, but not even for the same sort of reasons iserith mentions. I'm just tired of seeing players sorted into groups.

Iry

Hero
D&D is a dynamic game, and the DM can adjust the difficulty. In that way, it's pointless to optimize, because the difficulty will just be adjusted upward to give a challenge. If the party is perfectly optimized, then instead of facing "5th level challenges" at 5th level, maybe you face "9th level challenges." But the difficulty is the same.
It's not pointless to optimize for the simple reason that many powergamers absolutely love to optimize. The process of optimizing a character is deeply enjoyable to them. Even if the challenges they face within the game are going to be raised or lowered to their level of mechanical performance, many powergamers feel great personal satisfaction learning the rules, combining them into neat combinations, and then watching those combinations happen in game.

And that's okay! It's just another way to enjoy the game.

The problems only start when other players feel overshadowed, and that gets into the importance of communication, sharing the spotlight, and choosing not to be a jerk.

Remove ads