D&D 5E POLLS ARE CLOSING SHORTLY- Battle of the Classes!!!!

JediGamemaster

First Post
Yep. Compare with the "Do you want a Warlord Poll," which has 336 voters. Of course, the 336 voters have 260 favoring the Warlord, and 294 favoring Lemon Curry, which is ... interesting math. But still. I'd like to clear 50 votes in each category in three days. :)

it's because they can vote both...

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Now, that's an interesting Venn Diagram! Those who enjoy both lemon curry, and the Warlord. I guess. Does that mean that available options on the poll are:

a. I want the Warlord.
b. I want the Warlord and lemon curry.
c. I have no opinion (aka lemon curry).

More or less. The intent--which I saw fairly quickly, but which seems to have been missed by a lot of people so it probably wasn't expressed very well--was not to say "Is the Warlord more popular than not?" nor any other form of "how many do vs. how many don't." It was meant to give a visible number to how many people were interested in the concept--hence why I called it a "petition" relatively early on in the thread, because it's more like getting people to sign a petition for something than anything else. It shows that there are, right now, 261 people on this website interested in a WotC-official Warlord class. Could it have been better-explained, better-executed, better-whatever-else? Very possibly. But I see its purpose and feel it isn't offensive for pursuing that purpose.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You have a bumpage problem.

Without seeing the results, people have less reason to post in the thread, which makes it less visible, and people are even less likely to vote or post...

Also, again from past experience, having a lot of polls at once can be an issue, though I don't think you really have that many.

Guess I will do some bumping.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Fair enough! If you had to do it over again, I would recommend calling it a petition in the subject, and explicitly stating that in the first comment and the options, and not allowing multiple choice. Something like-

Petition- Do you support the addition of an official 5e Warlord?

Option 1: Yes, I support the addition of the Warlord.
Option 2: No opinion / No thank you / Lemon Curry.

No multiple choice; the addition of multiple choice makes the petition results hard to disentangle. If you look at the first post's directions, it says that if you don't want the Warlord, you should vote "Lemon Curry," so I'm not sure how you would correctly interpret the votes that had both Warlord and Lemon Curry. In effect, given the rule, they were voting for both Warlord and No Warlord.

Well, to be fair, it wasn't my thread to begin with. I just understood what the OP ( [MENTION=59506]El Mahdi[/MENTION] ) was doing with it. Though he did have a decent reason for the multiple-choice bit: basically, by making it multiple choice, he obviated any ability for people to argue the "more people voted no than yes" angle. Since they have substantial overlap, that goal was achieved, though several people (not just you) have commented on/boggled at the options adding up to more than 100%.

It probably would've been better to, as you've noted, clearly emphasize that it was a "petition" and clearly mark the Lem(m)on Curry option as "No opinion." I wouldn't include a "No thank you" myself--again, it gives an implication that the question is "how many do vs. how many don't," when it's really ONLY about how many do.

Remove ads