D&D 5E Game design allow sub optimal class build. Confirmed by M Mearls

Satyrn

First Post
This is incredibly easy to do in 5e. Just make a dex based fighter tha . . .
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION]'s implying he's talking about players creating a strength-based character with that low strength.

He's adding his name to the list of posters saying his table expects players to create Xena, Gabrielle or Autolycus. No Joxers allowed

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Zardnaar's also the guy who says anything and everything's broken. I'm surprised he doesn't find a 12 Str to be optimal and anything higher to be "overpowered".

Uchawi

First Post
Every version of D&D has allowed sub-optimal choices. 5E being fairly simple, just highlights the sub-optimal choices sooner than later, because there are not a lot of options to sort through. That is based on certain assumptions, like multi-classing being too hard to balance, or not adding magic items.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What the what?

LOL. My friend's 3 year old says this all the time. It's cute as hell :)

I'm the DM, so yes.

Your way is selfish and comes at the cost of other people's enjoyment and makes the DM's life difficult. I find that repugnant. It's a social game, not a single-player game. What is ironic about your stance is that you're doing the exact same thing that you're criticising me for: my way or the highway. The only difference is that my way considers everyone's enjoyment at the table. Your's is solely focused on you.

No, what's ironic is you saying you care about everyone's enjoyment in the same sentence inferring you don't care about everyone's enjoyment. Clearly you only care about the enjoyment of players who want to optimize because you're actively hostile to anyone who doesn't.

We started rolling stats and then I noticed that we started to see things like Dwarf sorcerers start turning up and being built as melee characters or some of the more MAD classes being picked more like Valor Bards over lore bards using the default array.

We also had or 1st theme party turn up where everyone has built a dex based character vs the more common built one with overlapping support /buffing type party build.

Current party. Played today with 8 bottles of a wine/cider mix. They just hit level 5.

1 High Elf Battlemaster fighter
1 Wood Elf Monk (Shadowdancer)
1 Human Rogue (Mastermind)
1 Light Cleric
1 Human Ranger (Hunter)

The Monk found a staff of striking (+3 weapon grrr) and the Ranger is having a holiday on the Plane of Shadow so is functionally dead and need replaced (1st session as well).

They all went dex based so they could use stealth togather

Player issues, nothing to do with the game. And if I were you, I'd seriously question who you game with to have that many disruptive players, let alone in such a short window. In 35 years of gaming, I can count on one hand the number of disruptive players I've seen on that level, and they were all very short lived in the group

Deliberately making a bad character is counter-productive play.

That's completely subjective for one. Secondly, I get the impression that you think anyone who doesn't optimize is making a bad character. Ergo, anyone who doesn't optimize is engaging in counter productive play. And let's just say I don't agree.

Back to the OP, and this is especially true with 5e, is that optimization really doesn't have that much of an impact in the game. How a player plays is WAY more important and impactful. We have a guy in our group who just can't seem to get all the rules down. You have to remind him of some of his class abilities fairly often. When we played our HotDQ/RoT (started a long time ago, finished relatively recently), he brought his character to the table. A rogue. With all of his stats between 16-20.

Naturally our reactions were "Wait, what???" Turns out he decided to use 4d6 method without dropping the lowest die. You'd think his character would kick butt compared to everyone elses, and the DM actually let him keep it. Turns out it was one of the most ineffective PCs of the group in combat. Why? Because he didn't position himself to take advantage of sneak attack, so almost all of his attacks were just one weapon+mod. He kept forgetting how to take proper advantage of disengage, and often took a lot of damage because he didn't move away far enough. Stuff like that.

Some of you may be asking why we allowed that? Because he is our friend and a nice guy. Two things way more important than a game. Just slow when it comes to things like learning rules. And since none of our players in my group get all worked up if another player has a higher stat in something, it didn't take away from our fun at all.

S

Sunseeker

Yes. More specifically, it means that not only can you, but the game has been set up to work as intended if you do (because you can build a sub-optimal character in any system, while you can't always successfully navigate game-play with one - but you can in 5th edition).

No, not in the case of 5th edition. No options were devised with the intent to trick the player.

I guess it's just the title bugging me then. That's not really sub-optimal. The Optimal Result(TM) is always the result wherein your character concept is best realized. That is the Optimal Result(TM). I know a lot of people think the Optimal Result is just a DPS Monger and I know a lot of people think that the Optimal Result can only be the DPS Monger. I dunno, I hate to infer that I'm a special snowflake but I've always built with the Optimal Result(TM) being the character concept I had in mind. I ignore things that could be DPS boosts in favor of things that better fit the character. Sure, I tend to create character concepts that are good at what they do, I don't think I've ostensibly ever created a character with the intention of poor performance in their chosen area, but there are so many areas wherein a character can be good besides combat, and so many different ways to be good in those areas too.

I guess what saddens me more than Mearls comment (which doesn't bother me in the slightest upon rereading) is just how reactionary some people are to the idea that some people like to optimize. I get the downsides, people take things too far sometimes, that's human nature. But some of the posts in this thread just wow turn me off from gaming. I don't want to be forced to optimize any more than I don't want to be forced to not optimize. I just can't fathom the people on both sides of the table who do nothing more than shut down other people's fun in favor of their own.

Some people have no clue about roleplaying games. If you think dps lets you win you are doing it wrong. The DM can always adjust to any group. Challenging fights are an illusion. And players really should not know how monsters really work and what their challenge is if they don't want to spoil their fun.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Some people have no clue about roleplaying games. If you think dps lets you win you are doing it wrong. The DM can always adjust to any group. Challenging fights are an illusion. And players really should not know how monsters really work and what their challenge is if they don't want to spoil their fun.

I don't know, both I and at least one other player I know of like to know how the monsters work, although that may be because we deductively reason it from play experience rather than just referencing a book.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
1. Build PCs with 12 strength as your front line character.
I'd be fine with it. Maybe they're a DEX build. Maybe they're mage-tanking. Give 'em a two-hander and some good armor, and they'll be good enough for any challenges I'd throw at the party.

2. Run away from combat as the front line character leaving the support characters to get slaughtered.
Iffier, but not automatically a problem. For one, if I'm running a fight where one person makes the difference between success and slaughter, I think my encounter building needs some tweaks - the party should be able to fail without a near-TPK. For two, we've just learned that this character is not a reliable front-liner, which is fine. Some other character might be that, or we'll just take this game in a more sneaky/ambushy direction. Could be a problem if the player is being a jerk about it.

3. Fireball the party because its fun.
I play a wild mage, and that's actually happened from a wild surge for me before. It was not the end of the world.

4. Use misty step a lot and spam cantrips burning up all your spell slots running away instead of doing anything useful.
Totally fine with me if the player wants to spend their slots on mobility.

5. Refusing to do any plot hooks and undermining the DM (I prepped 3 adventures sandbox mode they could pick what they wanted to do, they wanted to do none of it). One of the adventures was for a holy avenger and the Paladin was not interested.
IMXP, this is usually just a miscommunication of character goals. My inocculation against this is being up-front with the player: "What's your character's goal? What do they want? Why are the an adventurer?" Or, sometimes, I'll say, "Your character wants do to this. Why they want to do this is up to you, but part of the gameplay is that your character does want this."

Not that that'll work against someone who just wants to wreck the game, but also IMXP, it's rare for someone to actually want that.

When half of them just want to screw around and piss people off you are better off without them. I stopped the campaign mid session, basically booted them out of my house and never invited them back.

It's kind of surprising to me how differently people react when all that you change is the presumption of positive intent. I presume someone who shows up to my game is doing their best to play D&D in a way that is fun for them, and I'm generally down for embracing a lot of that. Where I'm not cool, I'll let them know, if it happens, and try to solve it just by talking with the player. Showing up to a game where I have to prove my positive intent by creating characters a certain way and can be booted from the game if I don't measure up to someone else's standard seems....stressful, to me.

I don't know, both I and at least one other player I know of like to know how the monsters work, although that may be because we deductively reason it from play experience rather than just referencing a book.

Oh. Of course that is ok. Sorry. I mean looking up the monsters in the Monster Manual is a bad idea.

I know it took us a while to know whoch spell to use against devils and demons and golems in ADnD. Some even healed the enemy... I mean the troll was always something we argued about, because everyone knew how trolls worked...
I think it takes away the sense of wonder if you know how to deal with x. In my personal opinion it is cheating if you look up monsters or even look into an adventure...

When I was younger I was a bit annoyed that we as players were never allowed to even look into a DM book if we didn't DM. Now I understand and I am glad that our DM back then was admant about that.

S

Sunseeker

Bolded for emphasis, I think this relies on an often illusionary player/DM divide. In my current two games, 3/4ths of the players are current DMs or have DMed. When I play I know how the monsters work because two days ago I was running a game and needed to brush up on my monsters. Because for the last two years I have run several games and have memorized a vast swath of monsters.

Besides that as other people have said, monsters aren't hard to figure out in 5E if you're paying attention.

Remove ads