High-Level Features for Mid-Level Campaigns?

Laurefindel

Legend
Needing some DMing advice, although more as a thought experiment than anything else.

Long story made short, my campaigns usually run until level 11th-13th. The sweet spot for me is between 5th and 9th level; after the PC have enough hp to withstand challenging encounters, but before their low-level abilities become irrelevant (and before the PC have enough hp to face all but the most outlandish opponents).

This however, means that I ignore 30% to 50% of the game material, that is, high-level spells and class features. That in itself doesn't impact the mechanics of the game as I use 100% of the material for that range of levels, but there are days where I'd like the PCs (and NPCs) to cast the occasional high-level spell, of use a high level feature.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with an Epic-11 type of game with added features instead of gaining levels thereafter, or some kind of houserule allowing PCs to tap into higher-level features/spells for a once-in-a-lifetime wish spell, or holy nimbus transformation, or action surged-4 attacks per round routine?

Magic is a bit easier to implement; rituals involving many acolytes, holy sacrifice (not necessarily the death of a person), specific moment in a year/decade/century, extremely exotic components, pilgrimage to a specific site etc. I have more difficulty coming up with anything for martial characters however. One-off divine blessing perhaps, or "ability coupons" handed out to players as reward throughout the campaign?

I'm opened to ideas,

(please don't reply just to say how high levels aren't that difficult to play; that is a good discussion, but one we can have in another thread)

Last edited:

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
One alternative method we chose for preserving balance while still eventually getting access to high-level material, was to reduce Hit Dice gains. We don't do it for every campaign; just once or twice it's come up where we wanted something more balanced, like the sweet spot you pointed out, but with more 'danger' and higher level capability.

I believe it was normal until level 3, and then you only gained Hit Dice at every even level thereafter, but you continued to get your class powers. This gives you the effective HP / HD pool of a 12th level character at level 20, but with all the abilities along the way. Makes the sweet spot last a bit longer in regards to party longevity.

A few things to keep in mind; my group enjoys gritty gaming, so the 'beaten, broken, and battered' feel is common in our campaigns. This certainly makes attrition a bit easier to achieve, while letting the characters get their 'nuke' buttons before it's time for the group to move on, while still reminding them they are quite mortal and fragile.

OB1

Jedi Master
One alternative method we chose for preserving balance while still eventually getting access to high-level material, was to reduce Hit Dice gains. We don't do it for every campaign; just once or twice it's come up where we wanted something more balanced, like the sweet spot you pointed out, but with more 'danger' and higher level capability.

I believe it was normal until level 3, and then you only gained Hit Dice at every even level thereafter, but you continued to get your class powers. This gives you the effective HP / HD pool of a 12th level character at level 20, but with all the abilities along the way. Makes the sweet spot last a bit longer in regards to party longevity.

A few things to keep in mind; my group enjoys gritty gaming, so the 'beaten, broken, and battered' feel is common in our campaigns. This certainly makes attrition a bit easier to achieve, while letting the characters get their 'nuke' buttons before it's time for the group to move on, while still reminding them they are quite mortal and fragile.

This is a really cool concept. Going to pitch it to my group for our next campaign.

Grognerd

Explorer
I think you're missing an obvious question: why do the campaigns stop there? There are plenty of adventures in Dungeon and elsewhere that can be used.

Dude... he answered that in his OP, directly behind what you mentioned...

Long story made short, my campaigns usually run until level 11th-13th. The sweet spot for me is between 5th and 9th level; after the PC have enough hp to withstand challenging encounters, but before their low-level abilities become irrelevant (and before the PC have enough hp to face all but the most outlandish opponents).
And he also very politely requested...
(please don't reply just to say how high levels aren't that difficult to play; that is a good discussion, but one we can have in another thread)

I mean... c'mon. Just help the brother out!
[MENTION=67296]Laurefindel[/MENTION], I obviously haven't checked this out for balance and whatnot, but you could always parallel 1e. Normal progression up until level 10, then from levels 11+ instead of the normal HP progression, characters gain either +1 (1d6 Hit Die), +2 (1d8 HD), or +3 (1d10 or 1d12 HD) Hit Points with no Constitution modifier. That changes the paradigm for Fighters (for example) from gaining 60+CON Modifier/Level Hit Points - which could easily total 100 HP or more - to 30 HP flat rate. Then you get to keep the characters a bit more mortal, yet not have to rework the entire set-up.
Similarly, you might (as you have already intimated) take a page from Basic D&D when they had Demihumans who could only rise to 12th Level or whatever, but every X additional XP gained an A, B, C, et al. feature. This would be done similarly to the Epic Boons but limited to the class features of the characters.

Stalker0

Legend
So if your looking for a temporary or one off bonus you could provide the fighter the blessing of a high level fighter's spirit that passing on. So they can use the fighter's high level power on occasion.

Li Shenron

Legend
Needing some DMing advice, although more as a thought experiment than anything else.

This however, means that I ignore 30% to 50% of the game material, that is, high-level spells and class features. That in itself doesn't impact the mechanics of the game as I use 100% of the material for that range of levels, but there are days where I'd like the PCs (and NPCs) to cast the occasional high-level spell, of use a high level feature.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with an Epic-11 type of game with added features instead of gaining levels thereafter, or some kind of houserule allowing PCs to tap into higher-level features/spells for a once-in-a-lifetime wish spell, or holy nimbus transformation, or action surged-4 attacks per round routine?

Magic is a bit easier to implement; rituals involving many acolytes, holy sacrifice (not necessarily the death of a person), specific moment in a year/decade/century, extremely exotic components, pilgrimage to a specific site etc. I have more difficulty coming up with anything for martial characters however. One-off divine blessing perhaps, or "ability coupons" handed out to players as reward throughout the campaign?

I'm opened to ideas,

The obvious idea is scrolls. Let the PC find/buy scrolls of higher level and see how it goes... each scroll is normally single-use so in the worst case it can disrupt the game balance once.

For non-spell high level features, you can still have them granted by other magic items. Make up an amulet or ring that grants the wearer whatever feature you want to try, but do not disclose how many uses it has before it runs out.

cmad1977

Hero
The obvious idea is scrolls. Let the PC find/buy scrolls of higher level and see how it goes... each scroll is normally single-use so in the worst case it can disrupt the game balance once.

For non-spell high level features, you can still have them granted by other magic items. Make up an amulet or ring that grants the wearer whatever feature you want to try, but do not disclose how many uses it has before it runs out.

I like the scrolls. You can set up some pretty crazy encounters that the heroes couldn’t possible handle... but with that scroll of meteor swarm they might just have a chance...

Grognerd

Explorer
I like the scrolls. You can set up some pretty crazy encounters that the heroes couldn’t possible handle... but with that scroll of meteor swarm they might just have a chance...

Agreed. I also like the idea of scrolls for non-magic features. Perhaps a scroll that channels the spirit of an ancient warrior ancestor to let that fighter access a level 18 ability for the encounter, or something like that.

Remove ads