D&D 5E Sneak Attack: optional or mandatory?

I prefer Sneak Attack to be...

• a mandatory/common feature of all Rogues

Votes: 44 37.9%
  • a feature of some Rogue subclasses only

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • optional for each Rogue individually (~Wizardry)

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • something else (or whatever)

Votes: 5 4.3%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
*EDIT*

Look. I disagree. Anybody can do those things. A fighter can climb up and drop the oil.

Not with all that armor they wear, and their lack of sneaking ability

A wizard can hide in the dark and shoot people with a bow.

They don't get proficiency in the bow, and don't generally have the climbing ability or the sneaking ability

A cleric can be the decoy.

How do they sneak into position to do that, wearing plate armor and having no sneak skills?

They can all do all of those tasks. And they all have "kewl powerz" so I don't know why you think taking away the rogue's schtick is okay when everybody else gets to keep theirs.

Again, none of them have sneaking and climbing to do those things. Sneaking and climbing are core Rogue abilities, as are skills with traps, and ability to use a bow and rapier that take advantage of their higher dexterity.

All the things you list rogues can do through "roleplay" aren't specific to rogues, so what's the point? What makes me want to play a rogue instead of a fighter, cleric, or wizard?

Yes, they do, because as I just detailed, they're specific to rogue. It's how everyone played the thief class, in the TSR era of the game. Backstab was, at most, a minor ability.

Mistwell

I do not see, nor have I seen, a single scenario expecting the vast majority of challenges to be resolved without combat activity.

First, given your multi-quote, it's going to be impossible to really reply to everything you posted, as I have no idea which paragraph was addressed to me and which was addressed to someone else. So I will try and reply to the beginning, and if I miss something later that you want a response to, then let me know.

OK, that said, adventurers don't "expect" you to do anything, and if they do, they're not good adventures. They should "expect" you to move through encounters - not tell you how the encounter had to be resolved with combat.

That doesn't mean I can't defeat the Caves of Chaos by hiding an unstoppered decanter of endless water at the top of the canyon and waiting for all the opposition that would ever come out and threaten the Keep to be drowned. It does mean that is neither a common approach nor the expected approach of the designers or the adventure authors.

I think any good encounter design doesn't have an "expected" anything. Otherwise, it wouldn't be role playing, just wargaming. Players doing unexpected things is pretty much a defining characteristic of it being a role playing game. If all you guys are doing with these adventures is going from room to room killing things, I suggest you might be missing out on some even more fun things you could be doing.

I'm assuming we're back to the old G Series, which in addition to "a long time ago" (assuming the reference is not to a later rewrite/sequel for another edition) is not the experience most gamers describe nor, I expect, the one anticipated given the array of combat statistics provided in the scenario.

Nothing was anticipated. They give you the stats, a single line for each creature, to help the DM deal with what the players do - not to tell the DM the players must engage in combat to resolve it.

to Again, when a best-selling series of adventures is designed to be largely resolved by non-combat means, with combat being a negligible and ancillary aspect of the adventure, I will see the potential for a character lacking combat options entirely.

Where are you getting from these adventures any expectation of combat to begin with? Because that's the way your players have been resolving it?

Enough people have addressed the extent to which Sneak Attack contributes to the Rogue's ability to contribute in combat. Perhaps the difference in perception relates to too much OD&D/BECMI (or just Basic)/AD&D 1st/2nd Ed, back in the day when the Fighter would contribute 1 to 2 attacks, doing 1d8 + 3 to +6, the spellcasters husbanded their spells rather than casting every round because they didn't have cantrips, bonus spells, etc. and the rogue's 1d8 Longsword or 1d6 arrows were meaningful, even to that 88 hp Huge Ancient Red Dragon, and Backstabs were rare opportunities.

My belief that the rogue remains highly viable in combat even without backstab comes from current playtesting of the existing 5e rules. Our rogue hasn't been using sneak attack very often, and they are highly effective in combat with that rogue despite the lack of sneak attacking. I mentioned the TSR editions because those sorts of tactics are the ones this player has been using with 5e, to very good effect. Not that players "compete", but to make that comparison, I'd say the rogue has been "competitive" in combat with the other classes.

Both PC classes and opponent power have grown markedly in the intervening years. To return the Rogue to his 1e/2e level of combat prowess while leaving all else at a level commensurate with 3rd or 4th Ed would leave the Rogue sadly behind his teammates. The state of the Sneak Attack ability implies this is not the direction in which Next is heading.

In my experience, this is not the case, and it's not required for the rogue "keep up" with the other classes in combat, for 5e.

As indicated elsewhere, these are largely things the rogue is no better at than anyone else, by default.

Something I refuted.

They are things the rogue did in prior editions because, while anyone could do them, everyone else had equal or better things to do in combat, or they required the ability to Hide, be Stealthy or Climb, which is no longer exclusive to rogues, has not been for several editions and is, to some, not believed ever to have been the intent.

The rogue has always been "better" at sneaking, hiding, traps, and targeting things from range, in all editions of the game. Being "better" at a set of skills than everyone else is "exclusive".

ThirdWizard

First Post

At this point, I can only surmise that you have not read the D&D Next rules very thoroughly, as armor gives no penalty to climbing, and its a straight up Str. check making the fighter a good climber. Beyond that, as long as they're not wearing certain types of armor, a fighter is perfectly good at sneaking.

They don't get proficiency in the bow, and don't generally have the climbing ability or the sneaking ability

An elven wizard can use swords and bows. A dwarven wizard can use axes and hammers (including throwing ones).

How do they sneak into position to do that, wearing plate armor and having no sneak skills?

Through skillful play? Seriously, you're going to claim that rogues can do all this awesome stuff which isn't defined in the rules, but everybody else can't even attempt basic actions like stealth? At this point, I'm starting to think you're just messing with me. Here, let me answer, anyway, how the mechanics work. A cleric wearing some mithral scale male has no penalty to sneaking, and he makes some Dexterity rolls. If he doesn't have mithral scale, he can just wear some scale mail for this particular plan instead, and change back after the ambush is sprung. After he rolls his checks, the DM tells him the results of his stealth check.

Again, none of them have sneaking and climbing to do those things. Sneaking and climbing are core Rogue abilities, as are skills with traps, and ability to use a bow and rapier that take advantage of their higher dexterity.

Every PC can sneak and climb. EVERY. PLAYER. CHARACTER.

Yes, they do, because as I just detailed, they're specific to rogue. It's how everyone played the thief class, in the TSR era of the game. Backstab was, at most, a minor ability.

Back then, backstab was a minor abillity. Then it was replaced with the major ability called Sneak Attack. Seriously, you might want to read Next thoroughly before you comment on it in the future. Everybody can sneak. Everybody can climb. Everybody can use some kind of weapon or has some kind of at-will offensive spell going, some doing both. Nobody is going to say "Oh wow! I can shoot a bow!" when just about anybody can do something like that or "kewler."

Last edited:

Mistwell

At this point, I can only surmise that you have not read the D&D Next rules very thoroughly, as armor gives no penalty to climbing, and its a straight up Str. check making the fighter a good climber.

This issue was moved to the DM advice for setting DCs and modifiers, and the armor descriptions. For example, mithril plate is called out as being easier to move in than plate, and plate is described as being bulky. The DM then takes this into consideration when setting DCs and penalties for particular climbing challenge the PC decides to attempt. It's no longer a flat penalty or flat alteration to the DC, as it would depend on the circumstances (climbing up a steep path won't be as harmed by plate armor, than climbing up a cliff face, as the later requires much more movement flexibility than the former).

Beyond that, as long as they're not wearing certain types of armor, a fighter is perfectly good at sneaking.

All the heavy armor, and many of the medium ones, give disadvantage to stealth checks. This is, obviously, an issue for many fighters, but not an issue for many rogues.

An elven wizard can use swords and bows. A dwarven wizard can use axes and hammers (including throwing ones).

Sure, and those are abilities of those races, not the class, and it's class we're debating.

Through skillful play? Seriously, you're going to claim that rogues can do all this awesome stuff which isn't defined in the rules, but everybody else can't even attempt basic actions like stealth?

Of course they can attempt it, and I never even hinted at the possibility that they could not - so quit strawmanning me. I said rogues are BETTER AT those things. That's an important aspect of the rogue - and always has been.

At this point, I'm starting to think you're just messing with me. Here, let me answer, anyway, how the mechanics work. A cleric wearing some mithral scale male has no penalty to sneaking,

Right, because as I mentioned earlier mithril plate is called out as special - it's a special ability of that special armor - not the cleric. Similarly, a rogue who can use a feather token to grow a tree can grow a tree - but that's because he has a special item that can do that - not because rogues can grow trees in an instant. So no, the Cleric cannot normally sneak so well - normally they are wearing heavy armor and sneaking with disadvantage.

Second, Dex is the key stat to sneaking, which the rogue has and the cleric usually does not.

Finally, and most importantly, the rogue gets to add their Expertise dice to the check, something the Cleric cannot do. So yes, the rogue is BETTER AT sneaking, by far, than the Cleric. It's even right there in their special abilities as a rogue under Expertise.

I find it odd you dismiss the rogue's ability to sneak better than others (where they add a die to their sneak check that nobody else gets to add), but then pretend their ability to sneak attack is unique (where they add a similar die to their damage roll). If adding a die to a roll is special, then it's just as special for their sneaking, as it is for their damaging. But, that analysis does give insight to where you're focused - it seems (from that comment) that the game is more about doing damage for you, than anything else.

and he makes some Dexterity rolls. If he doesn't have mithral scale, he can just wear some scale mail for this particular plan instead, and change back after the ambush is sprung.

Scale mail also gives disadvantage to sneak checks. And I hardly think "he can carry around a spare set of armor and change into it" is a rationale situation for most times this comes up in a game.

After he rolls his checks, the DM tells him the results of his stealth check.

Every PC can sneak and climb. EVERY. PLAYER. CHARACTER.

And every PC can do damage. Every single one. It's just that the rogue can do some things BETTER THAN others, which was my argument. The only argument in support of sneak attack is that it does BETTER damage, not that the damage is somehow unique. Damage is a generic thing all classes do, just like climbing and sneaking. It's just that some classes do it better than others. See my point now?

Back then, backstab was a minor abillity. Then it was replaced with the major ability called Sneak Attack. Seriously, you might want to read Next thoroughly before you comment on it in the future.

Seriously, stop insulting your peers because you disagree with them. I've read the rules, you've read the rules, let's debate the rules and not the people. I'm not bashing you for you not knowing scale mail also grants disadvantage to sneaking, for example. Let's just debate our perspectives.

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
When I say "A fighter can climb up and drop the oil." and you respond "Not with all that armor they wear, and their lack of sneaking ability" how am I supposed to take that other than you claiming that they can't climb and sneak? I'm not setting up a strawman, as even N'raac seems to think that's what you're saying.

But look, you seem to be arguing that D&D has no real emphasis on combat. That modules don't expect combat. That you can buy any module and get through it, be it Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil or Scourge of the Slave lords without lifting so much as a dagger. Is this correct? And your thesis is thus, since combat isn't required to play the game, lack of combat ability is not important to the game. Is this correct as well?

Because if that is your stance, my understanding of D&D is so very different than yours that I think we have no commonality at all between how we've played the game over the years.

Sadrik

First Post
I know you guys are going back and forth on this, but I thought I would submit my opinion. I see fighters and rogues as two sides of the same coin much like I see clerics and mages as two sides of the same coin. Yes I realize some don't want to see it this way. The argument where rogues should cede the floor to those who excel at combat and others should cede the floor to the rogue when out of combat or exploring is not a good way to design the game. Everyone should be able to contribute in all areas of the game some should be able to be better at certain areas than others though.

So that said, I see the rogue and the fighter as similar yet different, on the one hand the fighter is straight forward front line combatant without a lot of tricks but big beefy and solid, strength based primarily (but dex builds are fine). Out of combat the fighter has skills and options but not nearly as many as the rogue. I see the rogue as the opposite but working within the same arena, not frontline, with a lot of tricks and maneuvers they can try in combat, mostly dex based (but str builds are fine) and out of combat they have a lot more options.

The real dichotomy is this- high numbers: HP, attack, AC etc, vs. lower HP, attack, AC etc but more tricks available to do both in combat and out. Almost (and I apologize for this analogy) like the difference between the Warblade and the Swordsage from tb:bo9s. Take those two concepts and apply more traditional fighter and rogue abilities and that is my thoughts on where those classes should be.

So I think sneak attack could be one ability for the rogue in a repertoire of abilities to increase damage and combat effectiveness. But they will never be as solid as the fighter is, they just have lots of tricks...

N'raac

First Post
It seems somewhat splitting hairs to say that fighters/clerics are impaired from sneaking or climbing because they have heavy armor but not that they can be just as effective at sneaking and climbing (within the bounds of DEX and STR respectively) if they have non-heavy armor. Can the rogue not choose to wear heavier armor at the cost of any resulting impediments to climb and sneak? I believe they can. Just as the Fighter or Cleric can choose lighter armor to enhance their ability to climb and sneak.
Further, I expect the rogue to be able to routinely contribute in combat. Being able to contribute when he chooses the time and place so he has lots of time to sneak in, locate and climb to a good vantage point and throw oil down is not “routine”.
If it were, the fighter would also have time to creep in, and climb up – the extra time he would need is not the difference between combat time and non-combat time. Or is it the other characters’ role to bring the battle back to where the rogue skulks so he might be permitted to have an impact on the combat? I’m typically focused on how my melee character can help the rogue flank, but not to the level I will lure the enemy a few hundred feet back to the rogue’s agreed hidey hole.

I also note the role of STR on climbing, which (if we use 3e armor check penalties) seems likely to equalize that armored warrior and dextrous rogue in that field. Can we now sneak in the midst of melee, already observed? If not, then while I might agree a Hide in Plain Sight type ability might replace, in whole or in part, Sneak Attack, I do not believe simple stealth skills do.

They can take proficiency in the bow and everyone can hide and climb. Plus they have spells. Have most characters lost the Crossbow? Has the bow become a head and shoulders superior weapon?

Decoys tend not to sneak. If they can’t see you, they don’t follow you.

In 1e and 2e, it was widely considered no other class could climb or sneak. 3e eliminated that. Trap finding remains an out of combat rogue specialty, but other classes encroach there as well. I don’t see a rogue with a shortbow and rapier (and no other combat abilities) as equal to a fighter with a longbow and longsword (with no other combat abilities). The rogue is clearly not markedly superior. And the fighter gets a bunch of other combat abilities. As such, I believe the rogue needs some combat abilities so he can contribute in combat, reasonably though perhaps not as his forte. Whether every character type should be viable in combat is a separate question, so let’s leave that for now. This question is whether, without sneak attack and without a combat-viable replacement ability, rogues are able to contribute reasonably in combat. I say they are not, given the array of combat abilities the other classes possess.

I agree that, in 1e and 2e, the rogue (or thief) was perceived as unique in the ability to climb and be stealthy, and backstab was very situational and rarely used, so a minor ability. In 3e, and all subsequent versions, climbing and stealth were opened to all classes, so that uniqueness was lost. The sneak attack was a much enhanced version of backstab which the rogue gained. Even in 1e/2e, the rogue/thief wasn’t much of a combatant, and we saw a lot of grudging “well, we need one” characters, often wizard or warrior multiclasses.
We are not discussing removal of backstab for some enhancement in social skills in 1e. We are discussing it in Next. I believe Next has little in common with 1e as far as social, climbing or stealth mechanics and rules go, nor are backstab and sneak attack very similar. With that in mind, and assuming Next is not returning wizards, clerics and fighters to their 1e limits and mechanics, I suggest the rogue should also evolve, not revert to his 1e abilities.
OK, that said, adventurers don't "expect" you to do anything, and if they do, they're not good adventures. They should "expect" you to move through encounters - not tell you how the encounter had to be resolved with combat.
OK, now we are talking about whether all characters should be expected to be viable in combat, or whether it is a small enough aspect of the game that some characters who just aren’t useful in combat should be allowed/encouraged.
At the very outset, an adventure assumes you will follow a hook and join, not walk away from, the adventure. While a good adventure can accommodate many different approaches, they all have limits. I also think that is the default expectation of the game, and we are talking about default rules, not specialized modular add-ons.

I think any good encounter design doesn't have an "expected" anything. Otherwise, it wouldn't be role playing, just wargaming.
I think buying a sword or getting a room at the inn are encounters, and I don’t expect the players to decide to slaughter the townsfolk rather than pay for these services, so there is some level of expectation.
Players doing unexpected things is pretty much a defining characteristic of it being a role playing game.
If there is no expected anything, how can there be unexpected things?
Nothing was anticipated. They give you the stats, a single line for each creature, to help the DM deal with what the players do - not to tell the DM the players must engage in combat to resolve it.
1e provided precisely nothing towards resolving such encounters with negotiation. We rarely had more than an inkling of the enemy’s goals, objectives, motivations or personalities. Many could not rationally be expected to be communicated with. Sure, we had encounters where Mama Bear was calmed with a Speak with Animals spell and a night spent digging up truffles, but that was the (memorable and enjoyable but) exceptional encounter, not the standard.

Where are you getting from these adventures any expectation of combat to begin with? Because that's the way your players have been resolving it?
Combat stat blocks and tactics occupy far more of every adventure I’ve ever seen than negotiation and interaction notes, especially if we focus only on those entities who are opposed to, rather than allied with, seeking aid from, or providing commercial services to, the PC’s. The length of the combat rules is a pretty fair clue as well.
Other games like Heroquest (Burning Wheel, I think – pemerton?) provide a much more balanced challenge resolution rules set that, I think, is far less focused on assuming combat. So does Call of Cthulhu (early editions, anyway), now that I think of it.

My belief that the rogue remains highly viable in combat even without backstab comes from current playtesting of the existing 5e rules. Our rogue hasn't been using sneak attack very often, and they are highly effective in combat with that rogue despite the lack of sneak attacking. I mentioned the TSR editions because those sorts of tactics are the ones this player has been using with 5e, to very good effect. Not that players "compete", but to make that comparison, I'd say the rogue has been "competitive" in combat with the other classes.
OK, that’s one playtester with this view, and you are more qualified than I to assess that, as I have not been a playtester. But this is not what I’m hearing from others who appear to have been much more involved in Next than I am. If 9 of them say it’s needed, and you say it’s not, I can only conclude it is needed in a significant majority of playstyles.
By the way, we’re back to “does the rogue need sneak attack to have a reasonable level of combat ability”.

The rogue has always been "better" at sneaking, hiding, traps, and targeting things from range, in all editions of the game. Being "better" at a set of skills than everyone else is "exclusive".

No, actually, he has not. Rangers are quite stealthy in 3e up, and I believe the same can be said of some other classes. Anyone with a good DEX is good at ranged attacks, and I’ll put a mid-level Archer fighter or ranger up against a Rogue (especially one with no sneak attack) any time. Even in 1e, a mid-level fighter’s THAC0 advantage and longbow didn’t take that long to surpass the rogue’s DEX bonus.

This issue was moved to the DM advice for setting DCs and modifiers, and the armor descriptions. For example, mithril plate is called out as being easier to move in than plate, and plate is described as being bulky. The DM then takes this into consideration when setting DCs and penalties for particular climbing challenge the PC decides to attempt. It's no longer a flat penalty or flat alteration to the DC, as it would depend on the circumstances (climbing up a steep path won't be as harmed by plate armor, than climbing up a cliff face, as the later requires much more movement flexibility than the former).
Moving from any sort of rogue ability discussion, if I read this correctly, Next is moving us from defined bonuses/penalties to “hey just wing it”. So you may decide Chain Mail means -10 to Sneak or Climb, with no penalty for leather, and ThirdWizard may decide it’s -3 while leather is -2. I don’t want character viability to be a whim of the GM. I want it to be a product of the rules.

Right, because as I mentioned earlier mithril plate is called out as special - it's a special ability of that special armor - not the cleric. Similarly, a rogue who can use a feather token to grow a tree can grow a tree - but that's because he has a special item that can do that - not because rogues can grow trees in an instant. So no, the Cleric cannot normally sneak so well - normally they are wearing heavy armor and sneaking with disadvantage.
Using a bow is a quality of having a bow, isn’t it? And heavy armor a quality of the armor, not the wearer?

Second, Dex is the key stat to sneaking, which the rogue has and the cleric usually does not.
Silence spells level that field a lot, though.

Finally, and most importantly, the rogue gets to add their Expertise dice to the check, something the Cleric cannot do. So yes, the rogue is BETTER AT sneaking, by far, than the Cleric. It's even right there in their special abilities as a rogue under Expertise.
OK, to me, this is a great ability of the rogue. But it is a noncombat skill. How does he use it in combat to get a reliable, consistent benefit?

I find it odd you dismiss the rogue's ability to sneak better than others (where they add a die to their sneak check that nobody else gets to add), but then pretend their ability to sneak attack is unique (where they add a similar die to their damage roll). If adding a die to a roll is special, then it's just as special for their sneaking, as it is for their damaging. But, that analysis does give insight to where you're focused - it seems (from that comment) that the game is more about doing damage for you, than anything else.
I’ve seen a number of comments on Next’s bounded math that indicate (or just SAY) the differentiator between higher and lower power in combat in Next is hit points (possessed and inflicted), so again, I think you are the odd man out on that issue.

Scale mail also gives disadvantage to sneak checks. And I hardly think "he can carry around a spare set of armor and change into it" is a rationale situation for most times this comes up in a game.
Agreed. It’s about as likely as, say, routinely being able to sneak around the combat location and set up a position in advance from which to ambush.

And every PC can do damage. Every single one. It's just that the rogue can do some things BETTER THAN others, which was my argument. The only argument in support of sneak attack is that it does BETTER damage, not that the damage is somehow unique. Damage is a generic thing all classes do, just like climbing and sneaking. It's just that some classes do it better than others. See my point now?
Just as a character with a Sneak roll of -3 is able to Sneak, but the character with a +23 is BETTER equates, in most of our eyes, to the former character really being unable to sneak, the ability to do damage must be consistent (bounded accuracy says it is) and meaningful (therein lies the question) to be relevant. Compared to other characters, and to their typical opponents, how meaningful is short bow or rapier damage inflicted by the thief (damage per attack and number of attacks), who I assume is at or below (not above) Fighter consistency (to hit rolls) when compared to a Fighter (with all his combat bennies), a cleric or a wizard (both with spells).
I’d expect him to have meaningful damage compared to F (who has better defense but less noncombat), W (who has noncombat spells but is squishy) and in the range of C (who also has decent noncombat abilities and better defenses). Without Sneak Attack, does he meet that test? I’d welcome input from as many playtesters who care to comment.

I know you guys are going back and forth on this, but I thought I would submit my opinion. I see fighters and rogues as two sides of the same coin much like I see clerics and mages as two sides of the same coin. Yes I realize some don't want to see it this way. The argument where rogues should cede the floor to those who excel at combat and others should cede the floor to the rogue when out of combat or exploring is not a good way to design the game. Everyone should be able to contribute in all areas of the game some should be able to be better at certain areas than others though.

Agreed. That guides my vision that every class should have an array of combat and non-combat abilities to choose from, but should not be able to focus on one area of the game to the exclusion of one or more others (including trading away combat abilities so they are not contributing there to be hyperspecialists who make others feel they cannot contribute in that noncombat area).

So that said, I see the rogue and the fighter as similar yet different, on the one hand the fighter is straight forward front line combatant without a lot of tricks but big beefy and solid, strength based primarily (but dex builds are fine). Out of combat the fighter has skills and options but not nearly as many as the rogue. I see the rogue as the opposite but working within the same arena, not frontline, with a lot of tricks and maneuvers they can try in combat, mostly dex based (but str builds are fine) and out of combat they have a lot more options.
………………….

So I think sneak attack could be one ability for the rogue in a repertoire of abilities to increase damage and combat effectiveness. But they will never be as solid as the fighter is, they just have lots of tricks...
With no spells, I find F and R the best to compare. I think your comments above are dead on. That doesn’t mean “all rogues should have Sneak Attack”. It means there should be an array of abilities (combat tricks) for them to choose from – but they don’t get to trade them in for more non-combat abilities.

pemerton

Legend
Actually, this has been a constant tension in all editions of DnD. Are classes professions/castes in the game world, or metagame constructs from which players are free to assemble characters to their liking?

<snip>

4E took it further than other editions by making classes very specific and introducing more and more classes, so that each of the original fighter/cleric/wizard/rogue classes became a role and each role then had 10-20 classes in it, orthogonally divided into origins. (4E also redefined the roles quite a bit.) The problem with this approach is that the more specific classes you introduce, the more glaring becomes the fact that there are other in-world professions you could not cover.
I think you've slightly misunderstood my point (which isn't to say that there's anything wrong in what you've said - I just think what you've said is a bit orthogonal to my point).

The initial trigger for my exchange with [MENTION=6688937]Ratskinner[/MENTION] was a though about why it is that rogues are better at knocking people out with one blow than are fighters. One approach to answering that question focuses on ingame, rules-as-physics considerations. And it is hard to get a good answer out of that approach. (Do only rogues study anatomy as part of their combat training? Even if they're illiterate back-street thugs?)

A different approach to answering that question focuses on the metagame, thematic/aesthetic framing of the classes. A rogue is a backstreet thug. Therefore, when you play a rogue, your PC will play as a backstreet thug - including sapping people from behind. A fighter is a front-rank gloryhound. Therefore, when you play a fighter, your PC will stand in the front-rank, never falling, stopping the baddies from breaking through to your friends. Try to play a fighter as a dishonourable backstree thug and the rules will push back against you (eg you won't, under the rules, be able to knock people out with saps).

Of all versions of D&D that I know (which is most, but not all - eg I don't know 13th Age very well) 4e comes closest to adopting this second sort of approach. It's not about classes modelling ingame occupations. It's about classes expressing, and channelling the play of them into, distinctive fantasy tropes. (That said, the 4e rogue isn't quite a backstreet thug. S/he is more of a dirty-fighting swashbuckler.)

pemerton

Legend
So how often should rogues, and any other characters, be able to retrain, and how much can they change at each such increment?
I don't have a definite answer to that question. But as I indicated to [MENTION=12037]ThirdWizard[/MENTION] upthread, more often than "never" would be a good start.

If we are locking rogues into a certain sort of build because we're worried that other options will lead players into traps they can't get out of, let's tackle the real issue - rigidity in non-caster PC build rules - rather than accept the needless rigidity and on that basis exclude meaningful fantasy tropes from our fantasy RPG.

The 1 minute wizard is a comparison to a rogue who trades away sneak attack for non-combat abilities. I oppose that. All rogues should have combat abilities beyond "stab it with one of my simple/light weapons".

A rogue with flash grenades or social skills usable in combat has selected from a group of combat abilities of equivalent power, across the levels, of sneak attack. I support that over "all rogues have sneak attack".
OK, to me, this [Expertise dice] is a great ability of the rogue. But it is a noncombat skill. How does he use it in combat to get a reliable, consistent benefit?
How do you use expertise dice to get reliable benefits? Via social rules. Via stealth rules. Via distraction rules. Via evasion rules (of the classic D&D variety). The same sort of way that a wizard uses Charm Person, or Fog Cloud, to avoid violence or to bring violent clashes to a close.

My preference for the base rogue would be this: clerical attack and hit dice. (At the moment the attack bonus is the same, but hit dice are too low and there is no extra attack at 8th). The rogue would then rely on stealth (and resultant bonuses/advantage) to get chance to-hit onto a par with the fighter. Damage would be lower than the fighter, but that is part of a "three pillars" trade off; in social or exploration the fighter would be weaker than the rogue.

Turning the rogue into a 4e-style swashbuckler would certainly be one viable sub-class, and at that point damage might be on a par with the fighter. And an assassin, who can surpass fighter damage under stealth conditions, is another viable sub-class. But I don't think these should be the default.

Other games like Heroquest (Burning Wheel, I think – pemerton?) provide a much more balanced challenge resolution rules set that, I think, is far less focused on assuming combat.
Burning Wheel has a range of resolution mechanics for a wide variety of combat and non-combat situations.

D&Dnext, as advertised at least, is meant to be about the "three pillars". My views on what the rogue should look like tack that as a premise.

If in fact D&Dnext is going to be a game that (like 4e) treats combat as the pre-eminent site of combat reslution, but with 2nd ed AD&D-style combat mechanics, then I'm personally not that interested.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Of all versions of D&D that I know (which is most, but not all - eg I don't know 13th Age very well) 4e comes closest to adopting this second sort of approach. It's not about classes modelling ingame occupations. It's about classes expressing, and channelling the play of them into, distinctive fantasy tropes. (That said, the 4e rogue isn't quite a backstreet thug. S/he is more of a dirty-fighting swashbuckler.)

I tend to agree about 4e coming closest, although I think there's still some definite limitations to 4e's method here. To my eyes, while the (4e) mechanics are class-distinctive, quite a bit of their mechanical distinction exists on the relatively abstract level of squares, movement, and the like. That's good, for the whole re-skinning & re-fluffing thing, but also withdraws the classes from being strongly linked to fantasy tropes narratively and more strongly along the lines of tactical skirmish tropes (albeit designed to lend themselves to a fantasy interpretation rather than say a modern warfare interpretation). In this case, I'm comparing 4e to something like Dungeon World, where the narrative tropes and mechanics are so very intimately linked that many of them don't even make sense outside of that context.

Remove ads