D&D 5E Design Debate: 13th-level PCs vs. 6- to 8-Encounter Adventuring Day

Encounter 4a:

Encounter conditions: corridor 10' wide and 60' long - it branches to the north at a right angle at the end forming an L shape. Halfway along the corridor is a strange magical anomaly; it as if the corridor itself twists into a strange swirling black vortex like a black hole before continuing on the other side. The anomaly seems to be blocking the way forward, and the corridor on the other side seems twisted and contorted in space as you view it through the anomaly. Occasionally the PCs fancy they can see the face of a large green devil leering at them from inside the anomaly.

Divination magic registers this area of the passage as radiating strong necromancy. Further divination magic or a DC 15 Arcana check identifies the portal as the planar representation of the midway point to the lair of Blackrazor - a crossover in the demiplane that leads further 'towards' the realm of the dreaded atropal and towards the event horizon of reality. Anyone who succeeds on a DC 20 Arcana check (or via the use of appropriate divination magic) knows the following:

1) The portal drains the life force from those that pass through, who are not warded against death magics
2) It can be temporarily shut down via the channeling of positive energy. Such a channel if succesful would shut the portal down for a second at most - enough for a single person to leap through.

A PC that attempts to pass through the portal without any protection must succeed in a DC 15 Con save or take 5d10 necrotic damage, and suffer 1 level of exhaustion. This damage also reduces the PCs maximum hit points by the same amount. A PC that is reduced to zero by this damage is annhilated thouroughly - only a carefully worded wish spell can bring him back. A succesful save halves the damage and negates the exhaustion level. A death ward spell protects a creature from this effect.

Alternatively, the portal can be bypassed with the use of channel divinity from a good aligned cleric or paladin or a neutral cleric or paladin of a good deity. One such use holds the portal open long enough for one PC to pass through.

Its also possible that the PCs could bypass the anomaly via other means (misty step for example).

An invisible Imp watches over the anomaly from bend in the northern passage opposite the PCs (see room below for details). It has devils sight so is not hampered by the magical darkness, and PCs have disadvantage to notice the imp due to the presence of the anomaly (perception DC 20 to notice the Imp, and disadvantage on perception checks for creatures on the southern side of the anomaly). If it detects any PCs it notifies its master (see the Githyanki below) and spies on them for a round or two. It flees to the north if detected, or if the anomaly is breached.

Encounter 4b:

The 10' wide corridor hooks to the north from area 4a 30' before opening up into the southern wall of a large fissure (160' east west, 80' north south). There are exits in the middle of the south walls (where the PCs come from) and the north walls (further into the dungeon). A 10’ wide bridge spans the yawning chasm between these exits. The chasm leads to a 60’ drop into a gorge of jagged dark matter stalagmites (deals an additional 6d6 piercing damage on a fall). The ceiling is a further 60’ up from the bridge. The exits each open up onto small 20'x 20' ledges, each ledge linked together by the bridge.

The room is currently held by Zorax (Githynaki knight, add proficiency in athletics +6, a cloak of protection +1, add +1 to saves and AC and add the parry ability as a reaction – as Knight ability but it adds +3 to his AC vs 1 attack. He also has a potion of invulnerability – increase his CR by 2 to 10 to reflect these changes) his 4 surviving githyanki warriors, and Mozaar a Githyanki Gish (use Drow Mage statistics, use Githyanki knight senses, languages and innate spellcasting, remove drow specific features from the stat block, and remove the summon ability). Remove mage hand cantrip and replace it with greenflame blade. Remove witch bolt and replace with absorb elements, remove alter self and replace with featherfall, remove cloudkill and insert wall of force and remove evards black tentacles and insert counterspell. Incease his Con to 12, add con save proficiency (save +4). Increase HP to 55. Remove 2 x 4th, 2 x 1sts and 1 x 2nd level spell slot to reflect his recent battle. He has magic resistance thanks to his imp familiar (see below). His CR is unchanged.

Mozaar has an Imp familiar named Zolzibel. He wears the devils talisman around his neck. He has a telepathic bond with imp, can see though its senses, and shares the Imps magic resistance trait. The Imp is currently scouting over the southern passages (Mozaar wants to ensure the Gith party are not surrounded). The Imp is a coward, and avoids fighting if possible (Mozaar has a fondness for the creature and keeps it out of combat). If the PCs slay Mozaar the owner of the amulet can attune to it (using one of his item attunement slots) and gain the services of the Imp (and its magic resistance trait). The Imp is cowardly and seeks to corrupt its owner at every opportunity.

Two githyanki warrirors stand guard at each entrance to the room observing down the corridors (hidden DC 17 to detect including dim light). Zorax and Mozaar currently stand on the bridge deciding on the best next course of action after a recent battle with shadow demons to the north (they speak Gith). They have just finished resting and Zorax favors a direct assault (he plans to drink his potion he has been saving) while Mozaar favours using greater invisibilty and wall of force and sneaking past. All have nondetection currently active as a precaution. Mozaar has mage armor currently cast.

Why the Gith are here: Keraptis is a noted weapons collector and back in his adventuring days, got his hands on a fabled Githyanki silver sword. (Little do the Githyanki know, he promptly sold it to pay for an extension to his dungeon lair - a crazy idea featuring an inverted ziggurat and a bunch of manticores, giant scorpions and walls of force). Until recently Keraptis' magical protections have rendered him impervious to Gith retribution. When his lair was destroyed and replaced with the demiplane, those protections disappeared. Zorax sensed the state of affairs, and plane shifted in with his companions, seeking to slay the mad archmage to restore the honor of his family. He knows nothing about the causes of the destruction, or of blackrazor.

The Gith warparty plane shifted into the shadow demon room to the north and were caught off guard by the demons in an ambush. They suffered several casualties and are resting here deciding their next course of action. They assume the PCs are agents of Keraptis and attack on sight.

If any of the PCs have the means to communicate with Zorax (he only speaks Gith) he can be persuaded to stop hostilities - but only if the attempt appeals to his honor, and he thinks that the offer will assist him in recovery of the sword (persuasion DC 15). If persuaded, he breaks off hostilities and demands to know who the PCs are and what they are doing here.

If persuaded to talk further, he mentions only that he is here to recover 'the sword that Keraptis stole' - unwary PCs might assume this to mean blackrazor, and indicate that they are here to either destroy the sword or recover it. If the PCs mention this and are not specific enough about which sword they are referring to, he instantly resumes hostilities declaring 'the Sword is mine!'.

If the PCs can avoid crossing wires with the Githyanki knight, and offer to assist him in recovering the stolen sword, he offers to dispatch his gith warriors with the party (knowing full well that Keraptis is a spell caster and seeking to use the PCs and his minions to weaken the archmage and drain his resources so he has the glory of avenging his ancestors personally - he fully expects these puny 'Primes' to get slaughtered by Keraptis). The Gith commanders secretly send the Imp along as a spy (invisible of course) to watch the PCs. He also warns the PCs of the shadow demons to the north and explains recent events.

If alerted to the PCs presence (such as by the familiar or his guards), Zorax drinks his potion, and Mozaar casts greater invisibility. Zorax calls a challenge to any martial PCs to fight him on the bridge (in Gith) while the two closest warriors use misty step to teleport behind the PCs and force them into the room. The warriors on the other side of the bridge have been ordered to remain and only move to engage if ordered to by Zorax (which he does if seriously challenged by PCs).

Mozaar makes use of wall of force to splt the party into two even sized factions (preferably sealing some in the southern corridor to fight the warriors who he considers expendable, and leaving the other half on the bridge to be dealt with by himself and Zorax) leaving the two gith warriors to deal with any PCs trapped one side of the wall. He then uses lightning bolt to capitalise on the narrow encounter area of the bridge, and uses counterspell, absorb elements and shield to protect himself and Zorax. Both senior Gith consider the warriors expendable and do not hestitate to sacrifice them if needed. Mozaar surrenders if Zorax dies. Zorax is fanatical in his cause and fights to the death.

Zorax is not above using his athletics score to push a PC over the bridge in place of a melee attack (he may also use his telekinesis ability to do so). If he is pushed off the edge, he uses his telekinesis power on himself to return to the combat, or else he sucks in his honor and hides if that is not an option.

Adjusted Difficulty Rating: 18,360 XP (Hard) (the Imp doesn’t fight and its xp is not added to the encounter, and the warriors are CR 3, only half of them engage at once, and low enough in CR not to affect the difficulty multiplier of this encounter, however the likelihood of advance warning by the Gith and the challenging terrain adds 20 percent to the encounter difficulty) XP to award: 10,900 XP

Last edited:

As a footnote, I am super proud of that encounter above. There are SO many ways it can go (the crossed wires thing is a real doozy). It would play out at the table very differently than it would online I reckon.

Bonus points if anyone gets the two references to some old school modules I threw in there :)

Azurewraith

Explorer
Ok here are the characters https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B49JTxQcEOGhR0hIMm5YUW9nUDg&usp=sharing

Monk is scout/CC/DPR, Fighter is pure DPR, Wizard is CC paladin is tank and cleric is heal/support. The party aim to be stealthy and abuse surprise where they can.

So Encounter 1 My pcs dropped in the Shadow understands giant due to tong of sun and moon she attempted to parlay with the giants and they got to the topic of how they wanted to eat them as they where hungry the party took to long bickering about giving them food so they attacked Party won initiative leaving the monsters in last place . The wolves where the priority target with both Shadow and Halidar focusing separate targets with Crannis and Soveliss assisting while Travok cast sanctuary on himself assisting them some incredibly bad rolls meant that the wolves survived the first round and unleashed hell with their breath weapons dealing a lot of damage as they failed to either group up for dmg soak through paladin auras or split up to avoid catching multiple PCS. The giants who went last simply moved up and flung boulders at Crannis(they had seen him cast spells) both failed miserably to hit anything. Round 2, 2 of the wolves went down followed quickly by the other 2 next round but not before they managed to trip Sovleliss. Crannis cast Wall of Force and boxed in the giants trapping them. Travok cast beacon of hope, after the wolves died they fled the room leaving the giants trapped.Travok topped everyone's health up with a mass cure wounds Rolls where uber bad on the party side i mean UBER BAD.

My take on this is the party failed to take the encounter seriously with it being the first fight in a long day( i usually run 3-4 encounters in the deadly x10 bracket) as such they where taken for a lot of damage from breath weapons and failed to CC correctly until they realized it was a serious fight and they had to burn more/higher slots to compensate.

Resources used 1st 3rd and 5th Cleric slot 5th and 1st wizard Slot. Hp loss:
Tavrok damage taken 37, damage healed 34
Hadari damage taken 39, healed 34
Crannis damage taken 38 healed 34
Soveliss damage taken 33 healed 34
Shadow damage taken 38 healed 34

The baby just woke up so encounter 2 is coming later

All I have to say is oh my. Hoping my party bypass this encounter with some diplomacy but they are murder hobos at heart

Play the Githyanki smart. Any PC who charges forward (the Gith are quite likely to have advance warning) to engage the 'lone' Githyanki knight on the bridge will rapidly find themselves cut off from the rest of the party when the wall of force pops up, and dealing with the Knight and an invisible Mage - while the remaining PCs cut off between the wall of force and the anomaly deal with the two githyanki warriors and look on helplessly while thier companions get slaughtered.

This encounter could turn very messy very fast for a party of murder-hobos. Very careful diplomacy, and thinking players canny in the lore of the game (who avoid crossing wires with the Githyanki knight!) might be able to not only avoid the encounter, but earn themselves some help getting through the next encounter (before the Githyanki eventually betray them of course!).

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Ill save you the trouble.

If at my table I experienced the level of rules lawyering and obstructionist gaming from a player as youve demonstrated here, I would have slapped it down before your PCs hit 2nd level. Politely at first, via a man to man chat with you, and then if that didnt work by simply uninviting you to the game.

Ive really tried mate. I tried to create a fun and challenging adventure with intresting encounters, and a ton of flavor for you to engage in and have fun. Like a DM is supposed to do. You've instead spent most of it being intentionally obstructive (at first) to devolving into a bickering rules lawyer who accepts rulings in his favor (run to the mountain) without blinking, but has a tantrum about a ruling not in his favor (the effects of magical gloom in the demiplane).

Far from an example of 'why the 6-8 AD doesnt work', this is instead an example of how an intentionally obstructionist and rules lawyering player can ruin the fun of others, including other readers of this thread who are not participating. Its an example of why trusting your DMs rulings and realising the game isnt all about you, but a collective of [players and DM] getting together to create a shared experience.

Ive had enough of it frankly, and I've tried on several occasions to have a civil chat about it with you but this seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Enjoy your gaming elsewhere, and no hard feelings.

I had enough a while back when you started complaining about how I ran things. You never indicated in any way that ranged attacks had disadvantage. I read your encounter set up where you stated darkvision worked normally. Here you were backtracking on what you wrote. I'm glad I posted it and saved it. I doubt anyone read it any differently than I did. You won't admit you're wrong, and when people can't admit they're wrong you can't do much about it but leave. I mean really, show me where you wrote ranged attacks have disadvantage? I want to see it.

Darkness in 5E is binary due to the simplicity of the game rules. The rules are written so players and DMs have an agreeable set of rules for both to follow. If the DM is going to alter this, he must state in advance he going to do that and make it clear. You did not do that. I vetted your statements very clearly and nowhere does it state anything about ranged attacks being impeded for characters with darkvision.

As far as creature positioning, it was all very advantageous to players that know how to use terrain to their advantage on a grid map. Something I deal with as a DM on a weekly basis.

When a person hops into a debate making certain claims, and those claims don't hold up, so the person involved in the debate starts to change the rules, strategies, and complains about everything you're doing because it is not working out as he thought it would, it is clear that person is being disingenuous. I took on this test in good faith. I utilized tactics you recommended including the placement of enemies, going after casters (which you think is easy, but isn't), attempting to launch certain spells, and playing the enemies in an effective manner. I ran the encounters as you recommended with very slight modifications to improve the monster's chances. I clearly outlined the rules and movement explaining each part very clearly. I mapped out the encounter. I did things on the up and up explaining resource use and the like. Nothing I did was outside the parameters of rules of the game or what you included in your encounter descriptions. The monsters were played in an effective manner tactically. I DM my group 80% of the time and am well aware of how to play monsters effectively as well as use terrain.

To you it seemed as though I wasn't having the problems you intended, so you started to complain about how I ran it even with disadvantage occurrences like 5 of 6 party members surprised and the fact the bard would win initiative against two slaad more than 50% of the encounters face given average rolls allowing her to do exactly what she did given the magic item you provided. Yet this somehow seemed inappropriate to you even though the math of the encounter should consider this rather average results.

You were disingenuous with your dealings with me as well as showing a real misunderstanding of various rules I manage on a weekly basis as a DM. Sometimes in these discussions you and a few others seem to debate with me as though I'm a player. I'm not. I mostly DM. My perspective is a DM's perspective running a highly optimized, tactically proficient, stable group of thirty year D&D players. It was fun to get a chance to play a little, but I'm not going to have some question my abilities to manage encounters and monsters. I played your encounters well with a full understanding of how the mechanical interactions would work. Once I determined you were going to give me flack and arguments every time the players succeeded too easily, I decided the best course of action was to exit the experiment. You obviously expected a certain result. If that result did not occur, you weren't going to be satisfied. And if that was the case, then the experiment was never going to work. I wish I had known from the start you weren't going to act in a good faith manner as to the results of the experiment.

I had enough a while back when you started complaining about how I ran things. You never indicated in any way that ranged attacks had disadvantage. I read your encounter set up where you stated darkvision worked normally. Here you were backtracking on what you wrote. I'm glad I posted it and saved it. I doubt anyone read it any differently than I did. You won't admit you're wrong, and when people can't admit they're wrong you can't do much about it but leave. I mean really, show me where you wrote ranged attacks have disadvantage? I want to see it.

I did in the post you quoted. If you were focussing less on your little rant and dummy spit about my rulings, or redesigning my encounters, or generally being obstructionist, you probably would have read it.

I said (paraphrasing): 'You're right, I left it out of the encounter conditions. To be fair, I wont include it for the rest of the encounters'

If you were being a little more co-operative and more of a good player and being less antagonistic, this should have been apparent.

Seeing as youre 'saving my posts' (to what end I have no idea?) it shouldnt be hard for you to find.

Darkness in 5E is binary due to the simplicity of the game rules. The rules are written so players and DMs have an agreeable set of rules for both to follow. If the DM is going to alter this, he must state in advance he going to do that and make it clear.

No it isnt. Its my absolute perogative to rule that the gloom of the demi-plane works differently. You can cry about that all you want, but thats how it is.

Have you sat your players down and explained to them that sunlight works differently in Barovia?

To you it seemed as though I wasn't having the problems you intended, so you started to complain about how I ran it even with disadvantage occurrences like 5 of 6 party members surprised and the fact the bard would win initiative against two slaad more than 50% of the encounters face given average rolls allowing her to do exactly what she did given the magic item you provided. Yet this somehow seemed inappropriate to you even though the math of the encounter should consider this rather average results.

That you still see this as some kind of 'war' between you and I, is absurd. I have (or had anyway) no ill feelings towards you. It was intresting to see how different parties dealt with encounters as they came up. My issue was that you were the only one that was challenging rulings (constantly in fact), and even redoing the encounters. Youre NOT the DM in this experiment. I am. You accept rulings, and you take the encounters and conditions as they come or you leave the game.

The intent was to run an adventure and see how it went. I put on my DMs hat and let things fly. I would have made the same rulings regardless of who I was talking to. All my rulings to date have applied to all participants equally, and have been fair and reasonable.

Youre the only one complaining. Youre still complaining even after I turfed you out of the adventure, and tried to resolve the issue with a PM. I should never have let you back in after dropping rocks on your PC after your first tantrum at the start of the adventure, but that was my mistake. Ive learnt from it.

Im not singling you out here because youre 'a better player with better tactics'. Im singling you out because (from where I sit) you're a terrible player, and would be booted from any AL game or campaign I play or participate in. As a player you can only be described as intentionally obstructionist, overly combatative with the DM, a whiner and a rules lawyer. You (by your own admission) only every create 'ambiguous amoral murderhobos with no connections to anything in the world around them, who dont care if the world around them burns' and you 'refuse to play in any game where the rules are not clearly laid out and everything is predictable from a numerical standpoint'.

In other words (GNS hat on here) you're a pure gamist, who thinks he's playing the game to win, when in reality youre just an annoyance to everyone else at the table around you with your bickering, 2 dimensional chararacters and arguing with the DM. Youre that guy.

I'm not going to have someone question my abilities to manage encounters and monsters.

Yet you're more than happy to not show me that same respect in my own adventure that I am running.

Ive attempted to tell you what the monsters would do, or how they respond to your tactics but you argued with me on that. I tried to tell you where the monsters were, but you insisted on redrawing the map (on a grid), repositioning the monsters on the map you drew, and then argued with me on that. Ive attempted to explain to you encounter conditions, but you argued with me on that also. You argued with me on the hook, you argued with me on encounter difficulty, youa argued with me on hirelings and simulacrum. In fact, youve argued with me or been obstructionist at every step of the way.

Maybe you take that sort of crap from your players in your campaign at home, I dont know. Maybe you let them redraw the map, reposition the mosnters or change their tactics (or complain wildly when you do, or when you introduce an complication that they havent foreseen and the rules dont spell out, or make a ruling in the intrests of fairness or balance and the spirit of the game).

You've flat out refused to show me the courtesy, trust and respect I expect from a player at a table where I run a game and that you yourself demand from your own players. And I've really tried with you man. I really truly did. I even forgave you for your initial shennanigans with messing with the plot hook and being obstructionist, and tried to resolve it via PM.

Look - this is the last time I'm going to respond to you in any detail about this. Its best just to state we have wildly different playing styles and expectations from the game and leave it there. I wish you all the best with your own game, but kindly ask you to leave mine, and to refrain from arguing with me fiurther. Im happy to address any general issues you have with the encounters, but please be prepared to accept any rulings that come out of those questions.

All the best.

Last edited:

Remove ads