Adventurer
Help, please:

1. RAV ni ka
2. Rav KNEE ka
3. Rav NEET sa
4. Rav NEETCH ah
5. Other

Thanks
I believe most Americans probably say RAV-neek-ah, but!

I seem to recall that its actually intended to be pronounced RAV-neets-ah, to keep with its SE European flavor. I believe the "c" is supposed to have a little doo-hicky at the bottom, but they left it out for Marketing reasons.

Take that with a very heavy dose of IIRC.

Kite474

Explorer
The planewalkers will be a cannon D&D class?

Will most likely just be a background or template added on a preexisting character.

Modern planeswalker are just regular dudes/dudeetts with Planeshift as a special ability.

Before the mending though.... Well lets say MtG was more Exalted than D&D

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
So Eberron is out in digital format and Ravnica is the hardcover book. Should have been the other way round. :-/

I disagree. I know where you are coming from. I never played Eberron, Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun--all of which have a rabid fan base here on EN World--but I would certainly like to see a 5e version of Greyhawk.

But the Ravnica setting makes sense to me. It is a brand new setting for D&D, taken from a more popular game with a lot of cross-over potential. It will hopefully attract new players to D&D and enough of us Grognards will pick it up if the quality is good and the content interesting.

Having the new Eberron Book in PDF and in D&D Beyond is a good model for other settings. Not everything can have a main print run. It would be nice, however, if they would allow print on demand.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
You make two very good points. Color is very much like Magic's equivalent of alignment - although it seems probable that it would have more mechanical implications than WotC has been trying to give alignment lately. But also, now that I think about it, wasn't the in-universe understanding of the colors in Ravnica kind of weak because it was distorted by the guild system? I wouldn't have the guilds replace alignment - they're more like factions, being actual concrete organizations - but they certainly replace how Ravnicans might think about alignment, if I'm recalling correctly.
I agree about the mechanical implications, so that might depend solely on how much they want to have card-game mechanics translate as real. That is, color is important for Planeswalkers, but D&D adventurers are more like (creature) cards in the game.

Would (sub)class choices be limited by color? Would spells for PCs be limited by their color? I actually don't think it would take too many rules to implement it. (Think of how little has to be taken out to remove Alignment.) However, it would take some extra work (re)cataloging spells and creatures by color, and tossing in a few new or modified spells.

The real question is whether that would be worth it. I'm not sure that it would be, but that's a question for playtesting.

I seem to recall that its actually intended to be pronounced RAV-neets-ah, to keep with its SE European flavor. I believe the "c" is supposed to have a little doo-hicky at the bottom, but they left it out for Marketing reasons.

Thanks - I think I will go with Rav-neets-ah. Seeing as I am, for now at least, European.
Plus, cod-Baltic accents are, for me, ze most fun zat it eez possible for me to be havink.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The planewalkers will be a cannon D&D class?

Unlikely. Haven't seen the actual product on the DM's Guild yet, but the blurb on the WotC page makes me think that the focus is on adventures in Ravnica, with the PCs being members of the Ravnican guilds rather than have the PCs be planeswalkers visiting Ravnica.

Still, a high enough level wizard or cleric is effectively a planeswalker as far as getting to alternate worlds is concerned.

--
Pauper

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Would (sub)class choices be limited by color? Would spells for PCs be limited by their color? I actually don't think it would take too many rules to implement it. (Think of how little has to be taken out to remove Alignment.) However, it would take some extra work (re)cataloging spells and creatures by color, and tossing in a few new or modified spells.

My bet is that they will keep the game mechanics cleanly separated, but what do I know?! :)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Still, a high enough level wizard or cleric is effectively a planeswalker as far as getting to alternate worlds is concerned.

That, to me, is the toughest nut to crack in this move. How are there not literally thousands of planeswalkers if D&D-style magic is available in Ravnica (and thus the Magic planes)? Unless Ravnica campaign setting says levels top out at 10 instead of 20! :) Or planeswalkers are simply not mentioned (as they're really a Magic thing not a D&D thing) and instead the focus is on the world itself and hand-wave, hand-wave...

I'm very curious to see how they draw that line.

Unlikely. Haven't seen the actual product on the DM's Guild yet, but the blurb on the WotC page makes me think that the focus is on adventures in Ravnica, with the PCs being members of the Ravnican guilds rather than have the PCs be planeswalkers visiting Ravnica.

--
Pauper
In Magic lore, there are two kinds of planeswalker. A post-Mending 'walker is more like a race than a class: they have this one special trick, but are otherwise completely open-ended in powers and abilities. A pre-Mending 'walker, on the other hand, is somewhere above a god.

It's also relevant that you brought up planar magic, because traditionally, only planeswalkers can planeswalk. Everything else, up to and including deities, is stuck on a single plane and probably not even aware that the multiverse exists. There are vanishingly few exceptions.

IIRC, the Anglicized pronunciations are canon - as you say, for marketing reasons. And after all, it's not as if they're actually speaking Czech in Ravnica. Their written language just happens to bear a completely coinicdental resemblance to it...

Remove ads

Remove ads