OrcPub Is An Unofficial Online Character Generator for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

wow...so is this going to stay up or be C&Ded... any bets...

Yeah, I'm sort of in the same place as [MENTION=18646]lkj[/MENTION]. I get what [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] is saying about community and 3PP options, but... An online character generator is useless to me if it doesn't include all the official options to date. :(

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree that keeping it open to the community is great, and it will foster more options for us 'consumers'. The only tricky part is that I would like these apps to be able to add the data from new releases. Ideally, that means a suite of third party apps, all of whom somehow get permission to enter the new data (through a license presumably).

But I worry that last part would be intractable-- either because WotC would want to have a license with each vendor (either to make money or protect their IP) or because WotC lawyers would just say no because of the complications.

So if there isn't going to be a way for 3rd party apps to get the new data legally, then a second best choice might be a single 'official' app.

I don't know. I'm kind of torn on this.

AD

We've got the exact model. This is exactly what 4E did.

There was an official character builder. It was really good, too. Everybody used it - so much so, that if an option wasn't in it, it effectively didn't exist. And, of course, it had no third party stuff in it, so third party player options effectively didn't exist. It was next to impossible to sell a third-party player option book; heck, we stopped putting player options in the 4E adventure paths we released, because we knew they wouldn't be used if they weren't in the official character builder.

A lot of people feel the GSL was responsible for the lack of third-party material for 4E. Speaking for myself, and the stuff ENP produced, it wasn't the GSL - it was the character builder. The damn thing was too good.

lkj

Hero
We've got the exact model. This is exactly what 4E did.

There was an official character builder. It was really good, too. Everybody used it - so much so, that if an option wasn't in it, it effectively didn't exist. And, of course, it had no third party stuff in it, so third party player options effectively didn't exist. It was next to impossible to sell a third-party player option book; heck, we stopped putting player options in the 4E adventure paths we released, because we knew they wouldn't be used if they weren't in the official character builder.

A lot of people feel the GSL was responsible for the lack of third-party material for 4E. Speaking for myself, and the stuff ENP produced, it wasn't the GSL - it was the character builder. The damn thing was too good.

I don't disagree with this at all. It's an excellent point. The inability to import 3rd party material or even homebrew rules into the 4e character builder was definitely a hindrance to third parties and reduced your flexibility with regard to homebrew.

Perhaps the hybrid solution is to have a 3rd party publisher that makes the officially licensed generator and has permission to allow import of custom datasets.

AD

red-orc

First Post
I don't disagree with this at all. It's an excellent point. The inability to import 3rd party material or even homebrew rules into the 4e character builder was definitely a hindrance to third parties and reduced your flexibility with regard to homebrew.

Perhaps the hybrid solution is to have a 3rd party publisher that makes the officially licensed generator and has permission to allow import of custom datasets.

AD

That, ideally, is where I would like to take OrcPub if things work out. The application is pretty rough right now because I'm testing the waters, but I'm thinking if there's enough interest I'll do a Kickstarter to fully flesh it out, with a really slick modern interface, cloud storage, and tons of really cool features for generating and sharing characters and other content. On top of that I'm hoping I can do licensing with WotC and other publishers to include their premium content.

Last edited by a moderator:

lkj

Hero
That, ideally, is where I would like to take OrcPub if things work out. The application is pretty rough right now because I'm testing the waters, but I'm thinking if there's enough interest I'll do a Kickstarter to fully flesh it out, with a really slick modern interface, cloud storage, and tons of really cool features for generating and sharing characters and other content. On top of that I'm hoping I can do licensing with WotC and other publishers to include their premium content.

Sounds most excellent. And it makes me wonder again what wheels are turning deep within the WotC vault with regard to licensing. But I've learned well enough that they take about 10 times as long to figure out what they are going to do on that front as you would expect (even after you take that into account).

AD

martinlochsen

Explorer
This is really fantastic work! Very smooth interface.

I would really like to see the finesse feature implemented somehow. As of now, it's only possible to use strength as attack and damage bonus.
Also, it would be really nice to have a roll down menu for the personality traits, ideals, bonds and flaws, showing the options from the backgrounds.
Choice numbers in languages and proficiencies like the ones in skills would make things easier.
A field for equipment would be good as well.
Some fields in the editor don't update when relevant values are changed. HP and traits/ideals/bonds/flaws at least, though HP shows up correctly in the .pdf.
Armor class does not appear on the .pdf. Same thing with languages and proficiencies.

Thank you for your great work. Really hope your plans work out with this tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZapp

Legend
Of course, an official character app is the one foolproof way to kill off any third party player options. As in 4E, when everything you release is met by the question "Is it in the character builder?", an official app that's too good essentially locks out fan support on any reasonable scale.

That's why I'd rather see third party creations like this than a dominating official app. Not having an official one is - bizarrely - pro-community.
That really is the worst way of looking at it.

So you really think it's better to not have a proper character builder at all?

That's a really unfortunate position to take :-(

If you were to say, for example, that you would rather see a licensed app with 3PP support than one without, I would understand.

But not having digital tools at all, just to protect your precious third party providers?

In my opinion, that means you have completely forgotten what comes first, the stem or the leaves. There can't be any 3PP without a successful base.

And for the masses of people, me included, with a massive interest in digital core support, but with average to little interest in third party products, that's a real disappointing stance to take.

Wishing for your own success is one thing, but at the expense of *everyone*...? Nope, that doesn't fly.

Sincerely,
CapnZapp

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That really is the worst way of looking at it.

No, it's not.

So you really think it's better to not have a proper character builder at all?

No.

That's a really unfortunate position to take :-(

Is it CapnZapp Strawman Day? I just came from another thread where you did the exact same thing.

If you were to say, for example, that you would rather see a licensed app with 3PP support than one without, I would understand.

But not having digital tools at all, just to protect your precious third party providers?

In my opinion, that means you have completely forgotten what comes first, the stem or the leaves. There can't be any 3PP without a successful base.

And for the masses of people, me included, with a massive interest in digital core support, but with average to little interest in third party products, that's a real disappointing stance to take.

Wishing for your own success is one thing, but at the expense of *everyone*...? Nope, that doesn't fly.

None of this has anything to do with what I said. Stop that, please.

Remove ads

Remove ads