Psion class (Mearls, Happy Fun Hour)

As for the other classes there could be Mind-Hunter Ranger.

The Wu Jen was sort of somewhere between being a Wizard and Druid. But maybe there could be justification for some sort of Psychic Druid Circle.

A Warlock could have some sort of Ascended Mind as a Patron.

A Paladin could have a Sohei Oath, the Sohei as a Temple Guard was a class occupied a weird place. It sort of was intended to be the Paladin in OA, but it dipped into Monk and Barbarian too. And when they were coming up with the Mystic, it was originally the Sohei that was going to be the Fighter subclass.

gyor

Legend
I'd make the Paladin subclass Oath of the Divine Mind, which is an oath about establishing a psionic link directly with a God's mind, perhaps even with their subconscious mind.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
[MENTION=779]Kobold Avenger[/MENTION] - Mearls has mentioned making a Warlock with an Elder Brain patron
[MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION] - I'm not sure I'd like to see a Paladin oath that deals with psionics. I mean the other oaths are thematic: Vengeance, Devotion, Crown, Conquest, Redemption... I suppose the Oath of the Ancients is semi-similar in concept to what a Psi-oath would be like. I'd think the oath would have to be something like "Awakening" because you're awakening your own potential. As a DM I'd force any Paladins of this to probably be part of a religious order associated with Psionic deities.

Element-kinesis (pyrokinesis, cryokinesis, etcetera) merges with wu-jen and mentalist, and goes to wizard

*facepalm*

There are two main shticks for a psychic: telepathy and telekinesis. Both need to be in psion. Anything beyond that is fringe or a D&Dism and I don’t mind if it stays in a subclass of some other class.

But *both* telepathy *and* telekinesis need to be in the psion class.

This isn’t rocket science.

tglassy

Adventurer
They will be. But the Telepath class will be able to do it better, and the class that does telekinesis as its focus will do that better than the others.

jgsugden

Legend
Telepath returns FROM wizard TO psion. So both Telekinetic and telepath are psions.

I hope they give us the jedi equivalent base class. Fundamentally, adding psionics to another class gives you a psionic fighter, a psionic wizard, a psionic paladin, or a psionic barbarian. Psionic is the tweak, not the core of the class. However, if we give ourselves a jedi class it can be distinct and evocative. It won't need to work around the core of the other classes where there are conceptual conflicts. That doesn't mean there is no room for subclass approaches, but we'd be better served with 2 core concept classes.

I'd like to see:

Psion (telepath, telekinetic, nomad, metamorph, shaper)

Psychic Warrior (Soul Knife (Melee Offensive Tank (more damage)), Immortal (Melee Defensive Tank (more defense)), Disciple (Melee Controller Telekinetic - disrupts his environment), Dominator (Melee Controller Telepath - disrupts his enemies en masse), Mindhunter (Melee, but focuses on tearing one foe apart at a time - heaftier single target conditions inflicted, steals knowledge, leeching)

Subclass approach (Rogue Lurk, Cleric of the Mind, Bard Ardent, Wizard Meta (Sorcerer King in training))

*facepalm*

There are two main shticks for a psychic: telepathy and telekinesis. Both need to be in psion. Anything beyond that is fringe or a D&Dism and I don’t mind if it stays in a subclass of some other class.

But *both* telepathy *and* telekinesis need to be in the psion class.

This isn’t rocket science.
I see a big thematic difference between telekinesis and element-kinesis. In my eyes, element-kinesis is just a figleaf for "we want a guy with fire/ice/lightning magic" in settings where psi substitutes for magic, like X-Men. It feel redundant in D&D, where the sorcerer exists. On the other hand, original flavor telekinesis -- picking up things and throwing them at people, or picking up people and throwing them at things -- is very distinctly psionic, and there's no question it should be part of the psion class.

tglassy

Adventurer
The Jedi is the Soul Knife, which will be a Monk subclass, which is perfect because Jedi are just Monks with some Psychic powers and a lightsaber. So, the Soul Knife will be a Monk with some psychic powers and a Soul Knife.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Psion
• Awakened (Telepath)
• Nomad (Teleporter)
• Metamorph
• Constructor (Shaper of force constructs)
Ehh...still think Metamorph is still too visceral for the fairly cerebral Psion they're putting together. I'd rather see it moved to the Sorcerer; or, even more out there, the Ranger.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases