Psion class (Mearls, Happy Fun Hour)

gyor

Legend
I know, but if I recall correctly, the immortal mystic is merging with psychic warrior.

But now it is merging with barbarian. Hence, is barbarian the new psychic warrior?

I think the idea at this point is Immortal and Psychic Warrior will be separate subclasses.

How different could the immortal and psywar be from each other?

If you look at the Mystic class, the Immortal focuses on defence, gaining bonuses to AC, damage resistance, regeneration and suchlike. The Psychic Warrior is the Soul Knife, creating psychic weapons in order to make Psi damage attacks (probably dual wielding).

Yaarel

He Mage
If you look at the Mystic class, the Immortal focuses on defence, gaining bonuses to AC, damage resistance, regeneration and suchlike. The Psychic Warrior is the Soul Knife, creating psychic weapons in order to make Psi damage attacks (probably dual wielding).

Wait. Monk will be the soul knife.

tglassy

Adventurer
They put immortal on Barbarian because they gave the Immortal an AC calculated by 8+dex+Con, which they realized was the Barbarian. The Immortal is all about defense, healing, and being really hard to kill. Kind of like the Barbarian.

The psychic warrior is a warrior. A Fighter. Focusing on attack and is basically an Eldridge Knight with Psionics instead of magic.

The Soul Knife is a dexterous skirmishes who has such control over their mind’s powers, they can create a blade from pure mental strength. Like a psychic ninja. So it’s a Monk class.

The Lurk is going to be a sneaky type who slips in and out of peoples minds like a thief in the night. Thus, a Rogue class.

The keneticist or whatever they decide to call it is a blaster wielding the forces of nature to blow things up. We already have one of those. It’s called a wizard. Why create a new system of throwing fireballs when you can just give wizards access to psionic powers and be done with it? Thus, a wizard class.

It’s not “too many subclasses”. It’s just that there are a lot of psionic archetypes, too many for a class to do justice. That is what was wrong with the Mystic. It could be anything. Well, now many classes can have a little psychic flavor, utilizing the chassis of that class to give the variety. Why make the Psion able to use weapons and/or armor, or force all Psion to have a higher hit dice, when the fighter gives everything you need and the subclass can give the Psionics?

The Psion class itself will be the person who only focused on Psionics, and therefore has his own flavor. I like this take. It allows the Psion to be its own thing, while still allowing those archetypes that players like, such as the fighting psychic, the ninja psychic, the sneaky psychic, and the wizard who delved into psychic powers.

jgsugden

Legend
How different could the immortal and psywar be from each other?
How different are fighters and barbarians?

There are dozens of distinct (enough) psionic concepts. If you look at all the different types of lore where someone has powers of the mind, you can see a lot of options. Some are best merged, some work fine as subclasses, but you could make over two dozen different ideas... and we have in prior editions.

Personally, I'm fine with the subclasses approach, but I wish there were two core psionic classes: Psion (spellcaster equivalent) and psychic warrior (jedi equivalent). Each concept has several subclass concepts that fit well under a broader umbrella.

Last edited:

They still should try for the Wilder concept which was sort of the Psionic Sorcerer with a bit of Barbarian thrown in. Though I guess there could a Aberrant Bloodline of the Sorcerer. Having tentacles and birth defects not necessary.

Erudite probably doesn't need to exist, as generalist wizards have been ejected as a concept, and it was more of a Wizard of Psionics which they're in fact producing a Psionic subclass of Wizard.

There was a Psi Artificer introduced in Eberron, but that's unlikely as it would be a subclass for a class that's still in development.

Cleric could get a Mind/Mysticism domain. By the same token there could be justification for some sort of Paladin oath too. There was the Divine Mind Class in 3.5e after all, even if it existed because of the ill thought-out concept that only Divinity could be good at healing.

They're still possibly thinking of the Ardent as a Bard subclass, and I believe there was a Bard variant that just used power points instead.

It'd be alright if they came up with 1 new class + 12 new subclasses for the other classes.

Remove ads