Archer Druid Subclass?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Part of what I was hoping to discuss in this thread was if there's a deeper concept to mine here, of which "...with a bow" is just a thematically appropriate component. It wouldn't need to compete DPR-wise with a Ranger, but it should be something...cool and Druid-ish.

Maybe there's no "here" here, but the best ideas come from exploring areas that are overlooked/dismissed by the unimaginative masses.

For me, part of what defines this concept is the fact that it is reasonable to build a druid who doesn't have Wisdom as one of the top-two stats. Of course it's possible, but even if you are not an optimizer, I would still be surprised if more than 5% of druids did not.

(This is a larger problem: Some classes are more flexible than others. For me, the most versatile classes by this measure are Cleric, Bard, and probably Paladin, in that there are straightforward builds that can emphasize 3 or 4 stats. Rogue, however much I like them, really needs a 14 dexterity, in my experience, is at the other end of the scale, with Barbarian.)

By this measure, Druids are in an odd place: With Moon Druid, you can be perfectly effective with low Strength, Dex, or Con, and you can make a support-spell character that is fully effective with only a moderate Wisdom (Healing being what is affected most). This actually allows for a fair bit of flexibility, but it is still the case that you can't easily have a Dex- or Str- focused Druid (the way you can a Bard, and even an Abjurer Wizard).

I take the OP's question to be "how to build a Dex-focused Druid"; the hunter druid alternative I posted upthread (subbing in some Monk and Ranger abilities for Shapechanging) does that, without muscling out the combat-focused classes.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Someone mentioned the 4e seeker. I could see that as a subclass for a druid. At its most basic I could see the following mechanics brought over from 4e.

Seekers are primal champions who scour the wilderness in search of those who would defile it. Versed in hunting techniques handed down through the generations, seekers combine thrown weapon and bow techniques with primal evocations. The combination allows seekers great range in which to deliver deadly attacks that confound and hamper their enemies. When a seeker looses a missile, the primal spirits bound to it through ancient evocations are freed, sometimes as terrifying beasts and sometimes as nature’s raw destructive potential.

Inevitable Shot
Starting at 2nd level, when you miss with a ranged weapon or thrown weapon attack, you can use your reaction to make a second attack roll against a target within 25 feet of the original target. You can use Inevitable shot a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). You regain all uses after a long rests.

Seekers Bond
Also at 2nd level, you develop a bond with spirits of nature to aid your cause. Choose either the Bloodbond or Spiritbond power.

• Bloodbond. You can disengage or dash as a bonus action.
  • Spiritbond. You gain a +2 bonus to hit with thrown weapons.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Take an attack cantrip, refluff it as Moonbow, you can even let it deal radiant damage and needing no arrows and take Wis as attack stat. It will not break anything if it does not do more than 1d10 damage. You can either require it to have a bow at hand or even let it create a shimmering bow made from moonlight.

Heck you can even make it stronger but that's more fiddly and should have something to balance it out e.g. no wildshape.

This strikes close to the heart of the problem: the druid's attack cantrips suck. The closest thing we have to a bow is produce flame which is only 30 feet of range, and only d8 damage with no ability bonus. Also at 30 feet you can do thorn whip for d6 damage, but that pulls enemies even closer. At low levels, shillelagh is really good... but druids don't have the AC or HP to be dedicated melee peeps, and at higher levels, shillelagh fails to keep up with the damage of other classes. If you're going to be at that range, the better option is poison spray, which is a Con save against d12 poison damage... not too shabby, except it only goes 10 feet, so it's basically melee.

I have to wonder if this was some kind of oversight. Even clerics have it better with sacred flame at 60 feet, and clerics tend to have better AC. Once you look at the druid's spells of 1st level and higher, they've got plenty of ranged damage; it's just their at-will damage that is lame. It makes designing a druid that deals ranged damage kind of difficult.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
This strikes close to the heart of the problem: the druid's attack cantrips suck. The closest thing we have to a bow is produce flame which is only 30 feet of range, and only d8 damage with no ability bonus. Also at 30 feet you can do thorn whip for d6 damage, but that pulls enemies even closer. At low levels, shillelagh is really good... but druids don't have the AC or HP to be dedicated melee peeps, and at higher levels, shillelagh fails to keep up with the damage of other classes. If you're going to be at that range, the better option is poison spray, which is a Con save against d12 poison damage... not too shabby, except it only goes 10 feet, so it's basically melee.

I have to wonder if this was some kind of oversight. Even clerics have it better with sacred flame at 60 feet, and clerics tend to have better AC. Once you look at the druid's spells of 1st level and higher, they've got plenty of ranged damage; it's just their at-will damage that is lame. It makes designing a druid that deals ranged damage kind of difficult.

That depends on what your qualification for "sucks" is. Produce Flame, does 1d8 scaling fire damage that scales. 1d8 is comparable to a Daggers, Darts, slings, or shortbows but I don't see any shortage of players using them. The Druid can turn into a bear for melee which means its not a squishy and in need of standing 120ft away to avoid dying making the 30ft range not important. If you have a caster in your group using chill touch as a primary attack cantrip (I have) your to notice the druid doing more damage. Thunderclap is an AoE 1d6 cantrip that scales, if the druid get surrounded. Shillelagh, is a 1d8+Wis attack spell that does the same damage as longbows, rapiers, morning stars etc. So when you say Druid's "attack cantrips suck" what your really saying is that Druids don't have an optimal Firebolt/Eldritch blast 1d10 scaling damage with a 120ft option.... which is true but intentional since again no other full caster has the ability to turn into a bear and stand their ground in close range or by default comes with a spell like Shillelagh with a similar purpose. Its clear to me, that the abilities and cantrip selection are intended to push druids into the middle of the combat instead of hiding on the fringes. This is not because they are week not having a firebolt its because they are strong and don't need to run in fear of melee fighter getting up close. If you want to play the fearful druid, you can take the spell sniper feat and use Thorn whip/Produce Flame at 60ft... still not 120ft but that's a good save distance. I mean how often are you able to move 120ft back and scared enough with a druid to need it? Plus, thorn whip counts as melee attack and does get disadvantage on attacks on targets in 5ft and will get advantage if the target is prone within 5ft. Those seem small but are common occurrences when thornwhip is actually stronger than Firebolt or Eldritch blast (with or without spell sniper).

If the OP wants a bow because of the lack of a 120ft attack cantrip, sure... maybe that is the case. I just think Thornwhip, Produce Flame, and
Shillelagh are good attack cantrip spells for a melee capable caster class.

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
That depends on what your qualification for "sucks" is. Produce Flame, does 1d8 scaling fire damage that scales. 1d8 is comparable to a Daggers, Darts, slings, or shortbows but I don't see any shortage of players using them.
???

You can add your ability bonus to weapons. Anyone with a 16 Dex is already doing more damage than produce flame, even with a dagger!

And the shortbow, 1d6+Dex, has a range of 80/320, so comparing that to produce flame is not productive -- the shortbow is vastly superior to produce flame.

The Druid can turn into a bear for melee which means its not a squishy and in need of standing 120ft away to avoid dying making the 30ft range not important.
SOME druids can turn into a bear for melee. Not everyone wants to play a Moon druid.

So when you say Druid's "attack cantrips suck" what your really saying is that Druids don't have an optimal Firebolt/Eldritch blast 1d10 scaling damage with a 120ft option....

No, I am not saying that at all. Their attack cantrips suck. They could suck less without going all the way up to firebolt/eldritch blast levels. For example...

If you have a caster in your group using chill touch as a primary attack cantrip (I have) your to notice the druid doing more damage.
Chill touch is a perfectly respectable cantrip with a range of 120 feet that does d8 scaling damage. Combat-wise, it is strictly superior to produce flame because of the range and the no-healing rider; out of combat, produce flame has more utility value in providing light, which makes them roughly balanced.

Ray of frost is also a good cantrip that does d8 damage at 60 feet with a nice little rider... and that one is thematically very appropriate to druids, too.

I'm curious how the druid in your group is doing more damage than the person using chill touch.

I just think Thornwhip, Produce Flame, and Shillelagh are good attack cantrip spells for a melee capable caster class.
You can build a melee-capable druid, but it's hard: they have crap AC, mediocre hit points, and none of the avoidance tricks that monks and rogues get. To make it work, you need to pump up non-Wis stats (probably Dex and Con and wield a scimitar or flame blade) and rely on spells mostly for buffs.

Or, you could build a Moon druid and turn into a bear.

Or, ... you could have lame at-will attacks. Because if you're not built for melee, you don't really have the option to stand more than 30 feet away and hit enemies.

Being able to make effective at-will ranged attacks really doesn't seem like some sacred niche that the druid must never enter. I'm in favor of a certain amount of "niche protection" but saying that druids must never have good at-will ranged attacks... that really seems like overkill.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
lol, well ok. I'll take it.

Looking over your design a couple of suggestions/notes

1.you forgot to mark the level you get Channel Primal Energy.

2. Druids get more Wild Shape feature charges than Clerics get channel divinity. If would recommend it costing 2 wild shape charges per Channel Primal Energy to bring them more in line with each other.

3. I would recommend at the least that Turn the Unnatural read "Each aberration or undead (your choice)" instead of "and" because doing both is already stronger than "Turn Undead" which has been a signature spell of clerics as long as I can remember, and doing both at the same time (while really rare) is supper over powered by comparison. That's said, if you made it Aberrations only it would make the ability more distinctively the Druids ability without stepping on the party Clerics toes in their moment to shine. I get that undead is corruption, I just believe that it is also a party game and you need to leave room for things that are already class specialties and "Turn Undead" is not just a cleric specialty but perhaps their most famous one second to having healing spell which druid also have.

4. Rite of the Summer Solstice is and interesting "oh crap" button if two or more party members fall in one turn. The dispelimg darkness however has some drawbacks you might not have considered. In particular the party warlock is not going to be happy when you dispel the darkness spell he just cast with one of his/her 2-4 spell slots. If you don't use it because your so your warlock can do his thing then you might lose some party members. Also, this spell just with the healing and AC Bonus is pretty powerful. I would recommend changing the light effect to bright light actually excluding areas of magical darkness specifically then add something more like fairy fire "all creatures except one you choose that obscured or hidden by non-magical darkness or are invisible are illuminated with a faint glow and revealing them for the duration". The duration of 1 minute for a spell the heals, stops players from dying (Mass spare the dying), reveals enemies in some way, and raises your defenses is too powerful for a bonus action and one minute duration spell without a concentration restriction even with cost of two wild shape charges, better to extend the range to 60ft +30 ft so it can cover more players at once and reduce the duration to "Until the end of your next turn". Remember, its adding to all healing from any source including healing potion and other players spells by ending it at the end of your turn everyone including yourself gets a chance to benefit and when you consider things like mass cure wounds that's super powerful. Also, the static +wisdom to AC is too powerful and to inflexible as a static. Making all attacks vs the caster at disadvantage means clerics don't have to max out wisdom to benefit incase they put a lot into str,dex,con, and a minimum 13 wiz etc. and it means and effective +5 to AC while leaving it more to chance against high rolls.

Example:

Rite of the Summer Solstice. You can channel the power of the sun. As an action, you create a wave of light emanating from yourself that lasts until the end of your next turn that stretches out as bright light for 60 feet then dim light for another 30feet causing any attacks against you to be made at disadvantage. All creatures except ones you choose are illuminated with a faint glow and revealing them for the duration. If they are obscured or hidden by non-magical darkness or are invisible they are revealed and unable to hide for the duration. When you or an ally within 30 feet of you regains lost hit points, they heal an additional number of hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum +1). An ally within 30 feet who drops to 0 hit points but is not killed automatically becomes stable.

6. Solar Strike is more powerful that smite with a permanent +1d8/+2d8 radiant. I would recommend +1d4/+2d4 (I know d6 would similar to hex or hunter's mark, but this more powerful since their is not concentration requirement so it can stack with a number of other things)

7. Sun's Bounty … This is the equitant of 12 Greater healing potions (gold value 3,000gp) that normally would take you 120 days to make, made in 8 hours for 1 silver..... This is so broken I am not even going to touch this. I might recommend something like Hero's feast as an alternate template all together.

Thanks for the feedback! I thought a lot about it, and made some tweaks: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1502

1. Fixed

2. I made it cost 2 Wild shape charges... until level 6, which is when clerics get 2 Channel Divinity charges.

3. It's not super overpowered; it's ever so slightly more powerful. Paladins already have the ability to turn two creature types at once in two of their oaths. If paladins can turn better than a cleric, then I don't see the problem with allowing the occasional druid to turn better than a cleric. I mean, the Light cleric can blow people up real good, and the Life cleric can disperse a fairly massive amount of healing, so I don't think turning aberrations and undead is going to step on two many toes.

4. Yeah this is a problematic power for me. I'm modelling the AC bonus on the Bladesinger's... uh... Bladesinging? But the dispelling darkness thing might be too powerful. It's hard to tell because magical darkness is pretty rare in actual play, but when it appears, it's a pretty substantial thing. So I might get rid of that part. I modeled it on the Light cleric's Radiance of the Dawn, but that's an instantaneous power.

I did ditch the "mass spare the dying" effect, and I changed the healing bonus to half your druid level, which scales MUCH better. The healing is only a bonus on top of other healing, so it requires more expenditure of resources to gain any benefit. It's meant to synergize with goodberry and Sun's Bounty.

5. What happened to 5?

6. No, this is about as powerful as the Divine Strike on many cleric subclasses, which give +1d8 at 8th level and +2d8 at 14th level. Except the +1d8 kicks in 2 levels earlier so that it aligns with the druid subclass schedule (I'm considering having it kick in 2 levels later, at 10th, instead). I decided a rip-off of Divine Strike was a better alternative to Extra Attack for a class that is still primarily caster-like.

7. I... had not thought of it that way. 12 Greater Healing potions is way overkill. I reduced this healing to 1d4+1 which is half of a regular healing potion, but increased the number of loaf pieces to be equal to your level.

The intention was to make this goodberry on steroids. Since it takes 8 hours to "cast," it can be a bit more potent. If people eat the bread while under the effect of Rite of the Summer Solstice, they're healing 1d4+6 at 10th level up to 1d4+11 at 20th, which is generally not a great way to spend your action in combat. Out of combat, this could be a substantial amount of healing, but I think that's OK for using up a Wild Shape charge.

G

Guest 6801328

Also, I find it strange that the Druid's best at-will attack is a fire spell. Shouldn't it be lightning, or maybe poison?

Maybe part of the problem with Druids is also a problem with any caster that wants to specialize in lightning: no good ranged cantrip.

And soooooo (drumroll...) maybe the archer druid should get:

Level 2: Proficiency in longbow/shortbow, and use Wisdom for attack stat
Level 6/14: Add 1d8/2d8 Lightning or Poison damage to ranged attacks
Level 10: Some thematic utility?
Level 14: Some cool capstone?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
You can add your ability bonus to weapons. Anyone with a 16 Dex is already doing more damage than produce flame, even with a dagger!

And the shortbow, 1d6+Dex, has a range of 80/320, so comparing that to produce flame is not productive -- the shortbow is vastly superior to produce flame.

1. Dagger is 1d4+3 dex on a starting character is average 5.5 damage and Produce Flame at 1d8 is average 4.5. 1 points will add up but it is comparable.
Shortbow is 1d6+3 dex on a starting character is average 6.5 damage and Produce Flame at 1d8 is average 4.5. 2 points will add up but its comparable.
I said comparable not better not even exactly the same. They are in fact, pretty close.

2. Nether Dagger or Shortbow scale on their own. At character level 5 it out classing them at 2d8 averaging 9 damage and will continue to go up in damage. EVEN if they take the First to ASI to increase their damages bey +2 they will still only be comparable. In fact even a 1d8 longbow with +5 dex modifier is only 9.5 and would still be comparable damage until level 11, but I would agree that until lvl 5 it having 1d8 +3 and averaging 7.5 is to a point of superior damage that matters at lower levels (which is why I did not include longbow or Heavy Crossbow in previous statements)

3. No your naturally going to want harp on Class features of the melee classes like Rogues backstab, Fighters extra attacks, and monks martial arts dice HOWEVER, if you do so you also have to compare the class feature of Druids Full casting ability since that is what they got in trade and comparing any druid being able cast Blight at 8d8+1d8 per spell slot above 4, count spells slots and comparing the damage of those classes is not the same thing as looking at the fall back cantrip of a class vs an alternate weapon anyone might take as a standard of comparison.

4. I mentioned range is not largely being a factor in that 30ft+ all allow hit and run (move 15ft into the edge of 30ft, cast the spell, move 15ft back so your 45 foot away every turn in a game averaging 30ft movement, where 20ft range puts you at 35 in range of polearms and slightly faster enemies making it the most significant range jump for all ranged weapons) with a currant level of impunity. In close quarters, longer range is not available or a factor and close quarters are common. These together mean while useful having at least 30ft of range is huge deal and Produce Flame/Thorn whip both have that.

SOME druids can turn into a bear for melee. Not everyone wants to play a Moon druid.

Bear was just a place holder animal off the cuff but ALL Druids do get access to Black bear at level 4.

My point here was that they ALL do get Wild Shape and have the ability to change into forms that both have ok AC and take HP damage that actually doesn't take away from the character HP. It can be healed back if they don't lose the form making at times sustainable for a while. On top of that while it does take an action to use it does not take a very valuable spell slot like most other caster defenses, having its own resource pool. This is a very strong survival ability other full casters do not have. Sure, they have other things but it out powers warlocks action to cast Armor of Aythis by around twice the hit point generally. Shield is the best one but eats a spell slot, reaction, and has 0 chance of lasting multiple turns.

No, I am not saying that at all. Their attack cantrips suck. They could suck less without going all the way up to firebolt/eldritch blast levels. For example...

Chill touch is a perfectly respectable cantrip with a range of 120 feet that does d8 scaling damage. Combat-wise, it is strictly superior to produce flame because of the range and the no-healing rider; out of combat, produce flame has more utility value in providing light, which makes them roughly balanced.

Ray of frost is also a good cantrip that does d8 damage at 60 feet with a nice little rider... and that one is thematically very appropriate to druids, too.

Chill touch and Ray of frost both have some specific tactical applications which could give them a leg up. If your fighting a troll from a high cliff or if your getting your buts handed to you and you need to slow opponents while you run away. Generally speaking those difference (while they do exist) don't come up much. I am currently playing a Warlock and dropped the Lance of Lethargy and Repelling blast because they ether didn't impact fights in a meaningful way or they annoyed melee fighters who wanted the enemies running around to take attacks of opportunity and/or would have matched there speed and killed the enemy anyway.

I will say their has been a few times Chill touch has been invaluable for stopping regenerations on vampires, trolls, and plant monsters. We did have radiant damage for the vampires, fire for the trolls, but the one regenerating plant would have gone bad if we didn't have chill touch (it actually didn't go well with it, we lost a PC.) I would say thought this has happened 1 time in 3 campaigns I have played with my current group that it REALLY made a difference. On the other hand, when I played a druid on the first campaign, I used produce flame all the time!! I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They defiantly have their uses. I know your thinking produce flame has no combat benefit other than the 1d8 scaling fire damage, but our Rogue Thief with Fast hands and bunch of oil bottles was pretty sure anything with the word "fire" in the name was beneficial to combat. Since this was player setup we control and not dependent on GM monster choices or enemy movement decisions I might argue in the right hands Produce Flame can be one of the most powerful cantrips but ... it will never be more powerful than Flamebolt in combat unless your just out of other light sources and non of your group has Darkvision. I was a tie fling Druid, so I did.

I'm curious how the druid in your group is doing more damage than the person using chill touch.

Same damage spell, but was in the fight so range superiority of Chill touch was largely irrelevant which would make them break even however, the player had generally better lines of sight due to proximity and was able to move to shoot behind cover giving him a better chance of hit (+2 AC 1/3 or +5 AC 1/2 cover which could be even again with spell sniper feat but didn't have it) and was able choose lower AC targets more often playing peek a boo attacking allies behind full cover or around corners on the opposite side of the fight. Lets keep in mind that long range is usually a defense when the enemy is attacking your party. If your part of the party its possible to have superior offense. The only time when superior range attack gets to be more offensive is on the enemies first turns coming into combat across open areas, when enemies attempt to flee across open areas, or when fighting extreme range enemies in large open area. Generally my group tries to avoid just standing in large open area when being attack or attacking so that melee aren't exposed to needless damage trying to get in a position to fight enemies.

You can build a melee-capable druid, but it's hard: they have crap AC, mediocre hit points, and none of the avoidance tricks that monks and rogues get. To make it work, you need to pump up non-Wis stats (probably Dex and Con and wield a scimitar or flame blade) and rely on spells mostly for buffs.

Or, you could build a Moon druid and turn into a bear.

Or, ... you could have lame at-will attacks. Because if you're not built for melee, you don't really have the option to stand more than 30 feet away and hit enemies.

No caster would be foolish for having high Constitution due concentration saves, so having high HP for your class is not un heard of or a special build. Druids don't need a scimitar because Shillelagh turn their arcane focus staff into a 1d8+wis weapon also Thorn whip is scaling melee damage using wisdom which makes any melee weapon on the table a week choice for them. Flameblade is a druid spell so sure, if you want talk about how they have good melee damage options not as a bear. So they have good reason an capability for melee HP and damage. Your right about 'generally' lower AC and damage avoidance than your typical Rogue/Fighter/Monk...so its good thing the get all those really powerful healing spells (including some nice AoE heals) and enough spell slots to heal them and their friends while fighting…..

Being able to make effective at-will ranged attacks really doesn't seem like some sacred niche that the druid must never enter. I'm in favor of a certain amount of "niche protection" but saying that druids must never have good at-will ranged attacks... that really seems like overkill.

They can make at will ranged attacks with produce flame, at will ranged melee with thorn whip, and at will 5th AoE when being swarmed in melee with Thunderwave. Again, your only undeniable argument is that its not as good as Firebolt doing 1d10 scaling damage at 120ft able to light things on fire but its not like that is really a need or requirement for druid's to be capable of decent ranged damage since … you know they are full casters with a lot more spells then just their cantrip and a wizard could argue the want a ranged melee spell cantrip like thorn whip and cool flaming hand light instead of just a plain old light spell but I don't see any point here that really says Druids are suffering and it could only be fixed by giving them a Flame bolt equivalent.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases