D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use. AD

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use.

AD

machineelf

Explorer
Surely you can see why they have that policy, though. A ton of spammers, harassers, and so forth use VPNs to make multiple accounts and circumvent IP bans.

Yes, but it's not the VPN IP address only that's banned. It's the entire account, even when you log in using a normal IP address. And then getting that account restored is very hard to impossible to do. I find that policy to be a little on the extreme side, especially considering they don't do a good job warning you this will happen.

In fact, I wish they had banned the VPN IP address in a way that kept me from logging on in the first place. I would have realized what was going on, and simply logged in with a normal IP, and could have avoided having my account banned (which I only used to watch videos every now and then, I never posted anything). It seems to me to be a better way to handle things and not to exclude your clients who aren't problems or trouble-makers.

Regardless of whether you think it's a good policy or not (Facebook and Youtube don't have that policy, by the way), I'm simply letting people know so they don't run into the problems I did. A lot of people use VPNs.

I see it as a net gain for the user experience.

It was not a net gain for my user experience. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Because Twitch owns Curse, which runs D&D Beyond; and Twitch is always trying to expand its user base? That would be my guess.

And the rabbit hole goes one layer deeper as Amazone owns twitch who own curse.

I wonder if we eventualy see deals where if you buy DnD books trough Amazon you also unlock that content in DnD beond.

ChapolimX

Explorer
A very usable reference so far. As pointed by a previous poster, a search function in the rules section is needed.

Good thing: Nothing prevents you from printing a monster page.
Bad thing: There's no print layout, so it look atrocious.

Satyrn

First Post
Looks solid, although as said the Twitch account component is annoying.

Nifty easter egg: for monster stats, each statistic is shown with a picture of a certain animal. Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Bear's Endurance, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor - they're all references to enhance ability.

That was clever of them.

My only gripe with D&D Beyond at this stage is that I can't increase the listings per page. I really don't like having to load webpages while searching.

But yeah, that's my only gripe. Product seems good so far.

lkj

Hero
As far as I can tell, there is no search ability on the rules compendium. If your're looking for the rules on hiding, you need to already know they're under the dexterity entry of the ability check section. When you read that, if you are then looking for the rule for light and heavy obscurement, you need to know those are under the environment entry in the adventuring section.

When an entry in the compendium refers to another entry, it really needs to be hotlinked, and there should be a search field for the entire rules compendium. This is the most basic functionality of an online info tool - searchability and linked entries. I would not have expected DDB to launch without these features.

The pdf is at least searchable.

This gap was noted on their forums (by me and others). They responded that it was in their plan to add a global search.

AD

G

Guest 6801328

Two beefs so far:

1) Having to hit "Return" to run your search, instead of just having the results filter as you type. It could at least filter the name matches, and then fill in the rest of the detail when you hit return.

2) So much of the screen is wasted on unnecessary decoration that the actual search results (on my screen) don't appear without scrolling.

Remove ads

Remove ads