D&D 5E Why Balance is Bad

This is a bogus spin as far as I'm concerned. 3e is no more or less prescriptive than 4e. The prescriptive/descriptive approach is what the players and DMs bring to the table. Are the rules a framework for the DM and players to use or are they the laws of the game? Does the table play RAI, RAW, or with liberal use of Rule 0? That's fundamentally an aspect of play style.

And this is IMO absolutely incorrect. The prescriptive and descriptive approach is something that is a matter of playstyle - and one of the things games do is encourage and enable some playstyles and discourage or even prohibit others. Otherwise what's the point in the game rules?

Bluenose

Adventurer
3e definitely is - which is both a strength and weakness, depending what you're looking for.

But if you're looking to know that a ledge of X-inches width has a certain DC or how many silver you earn from a week of blacksmithing, 3e is your system.

...snip...

For some, the first is way more detail than desired, for others it's an assist to verisimilitude and simulation accuracy.

For me personally the results of playing by those rules deviate far from what I believe to be plausible. This makes claims of their "verisimilitude and simulation accuracy" into something I disagree with, and then they're just a fiddly amount of incorrect detail. If I reject those rules, then 3e is starting from exactly the same position as 4e in that respect. Though I do find the mildly communistic economic system implied by the Profession skill amusing.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I don't know about five minutes, but in editions before 3E i did find (and continue to find) combat is a lot shorter (especially if you don't use miniatures). Of course a combat with a dragon will take longer than a goblin (because they have more hp and are harder to hit), but even challenging combats don't need to take thirty minutes to an hour. I much prefer fast combat.

in terms of what i expect to be able to do, i am fine if my thief isn't great in combat and honestlyroft mind allowing the fighter or mu to shine in that moment while I assist in what ways i can (i would point out though in a dragon encounter, that is ideal for a thief to shine by sneaking in and stealing treasure).
By the same token, i don't expect all my characters to be able to contribute equally to political situations and other areas outside combat. I loved the pre 3E theives which were not well suited to combat at all. They were much more focused on things like sneaking, stealing, climbing, detecting and removing traps, etc.

I wish combats in 3e, 3.5e, 4e and Pathfinder took only 30-60 minutes. I usually game with a big group and a single combat after mid level (say level 9 in 3e/3.5e/PF and level 12/13 in 4e) could take an entire session, or close to it.

that was what I miss most about 1e/2e D&D. You could have an even bigger combat in less than in subsequent editions.

Example, in a 2e game, we had a huge group of 10 PCs. It was 10 PCs, 2 NPC allies and 30 caravan drivers/guards, and we went up against 100 lizardmen, a shaman, some crocodiles and snakes and nasty giant dragonflies. We knocked off that huge combat in 3-4 hours. I tried a scaled down version of that combat in a 3.5e game (50 lizard folk, a shaman, no snakes and only 3 dragonflies instead of 6) against 6 PCs, 2 allied NPCs and 10 caravan drivers and the entire combat took 3 full sessions, or more than four times longer for a smaller combat.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Hmm...at the risk of butting in, my reading of Kamikaze wasn't that he was complaining that the more open-ended skill challenge system of 4e was bad because it gave too much choice or somehow allowed too much flexibility of interpretation.

It was more an observation that the system allowed for a lot of blurring of concept and stepping-on of toes. If the barbarian can smite a dragon with one blow of his axe, and bring peace to warring nations by intimidating the two leaders into submission...why bother with a bard who cannot make war, but instead focuses on peace? In fact, his example seemed to complain that it was by and large not overly difficult for a person who had invested no resources at all into a skill to achieve the same results as someone who had invested everything into it.

Spot on! I'm not even really saying that's a bad thing per se (it is completely consistent with 4e's admirable goal of avoiding boring gameplay where people sit out for a long time), it's just not what I'm looking for in D&D, where I want characters who can suck for an encounter or two and still have "balanced" classes that contribute to the overall adventure. An Illusionist might suck in combat, but rock against non-hostile NPC's, and that should be OK. Does that mean each encounter is a thing of limited duration (say, 10-15 real-world minutes on the high end)? Great! That's awesome. I want short encounters, I want to do a dungeon in a night, I want to have a story that moves at a brisk pace, because I play this game for those adventures, not necessarily each encounter that makes it up (I care less about the cool fight scene than I do about the story that cool fight scene is a part of, so the cool fight scene, for me, should never distort or eclipse the story itself). I don't like spending an entire session tackling two or three encounters.

I don't necessarily see this as a problem myself, for the most part, since it can lead to moments of emergent comedy and allow a party otherwise unsuited to a challenge at least a chance for some success...but I can see where he's coming from. It can be frustrating to be outshined in one's specialty by a pair of dice rolls, especially if it happens with some frequency.

Like [MENTION=43019]keterys[/MENTION] 's example of the doofy fighter who became the face of the party. Sounds hilarious and awesome, right? Totally. But if you're trying to play a character who is better at Interaction than at Combat in that party...well, the game doesn't reward that investment, it doesn't support that kind of distinction very well. The fighter's as good at you at both things. He uses Athletics, you use Diplomacy, you're both good at Interaction. He has a high AC and uses a mark, you have a minor action that restores HP, you're both good at combat. When you're running a game that's focused on the encounter, this is what you want: each encounter is dynamic. When you're running a game that's focused on the adventure, this is kind of blandly dull: no one is ever in a situation they aren't well-equipped to handle.

It might be nice if there were some tiered rewards for exceeding the minimum DC though. Like if you roll 5 higher than the DC you get 2 successes...or something. The details would need hammering, so as not to warp the system completely out of functionality. But it would give someone who'd invested in that ability the potential for superior results that cannot be replicated by mere happenstance.

My first stab at this was essentially non-combat roles: "social strikers" get two successes, "social controllers" lower the DC, "social leaders" give you bonuses, "social defenders" help mitigate failures...

Part of what has piqued my interest about 5e's system is that it's going a more organic route. I don't like a simple "make everything like combat!" solution. It'd work mechanically, but it's still more abstract that I'd prefer.

Neonchameleon said:
But if someone sucks at combat like the thief you can only have fights that last a minute or two. You can't fight a dragon. You can not fight the goblin king. All your fights must be short and simple.

Not at all!

First, "sucks at combat like a thief" in my mind means "the player can make a thief that, in combat, can make some minimum contribution, but no fancy automatic tricks." So that thief is hitting the dragon with a bow from cover, or setting up flanking for a round or two, or filching items from the hoard until she comes across something she can use on the dragon, or fleeing below the precarious stalactite and taunting. Which means that the fight can totally be longer -- the thief is consistently contributing, she's just not contributing to the level of the fighter (who is going toe-to-toe with the thing and being awesome at it), at least not on a consistent basis. After maybe 5+ rounds boredom might set in, especially if the environment is dull, but that's a pretty big slice of time. And, given that this choice is one the player made intentionally (to suck at combat), it's reinforcing her character as a sneaky thief that prefers to run away rather than fight.

There's then a question of how much longer it really needs to be. How much real-world time does a big dragon fight need to eat up? With 5 players (4 + DM) each taking about 1 minute per turn, 5 rounds is already almost half an hour. If we cut that time in half, we've still got 10-15 minutes a pop. Do we need more breathing room than that? If it's longer than an episode of Metalocalypse, five times longer than a normal encounter, is that not enough? What would be enough? And if there's someone at the table who isn't into the scene (because she made character choices that reinforce that she's not into a straight-up fight), how long are we going to make her half-heartedly contribute to something she's not enjoying before we get back to the exploration that she loves?

But lets say that an hour-plus-long combat is mandatory to feel significantly "epic" and we're rationally afraid that the thief's contributions are too weak to keep the player engaged for that long. Why not look at that from an angle that brings in what the thief's player wants her character to do, rather than making her be a fighter-equivalent? Why not make the dragon a challenge that is not just combat, but that is also exploration in some way? Perhaps the dragon flies to a cavern inaccessible to all but the agile thief. Perhaps the dragon fights in darkness that only our skulky friend is good enough to navigate to turn the lights back on. Maybe there's a hidey-hole the thief can find which is good to use to hide from the breath weapon. Maybe the thief's keen eye for value can pick out the dragon-slaying arrow amongst the gold pile. Why not let the thief contribute to the combat by utilizing her exploration skills?

After all, when HP are an adventure resource rather than an encounter resource, a dragon that has run away isn't a loss...it's just a different kind of challenge to overcome.

Y'know, if I made a Samwise-style character, all doughty Charisma and determined cheer, and the DM made me fight the Goblin King for an hour, I'd feel kind of cheated, even if I sneak-attacked it to death. And if I made a Gimli-style character, all hardy Constitution and with an axe, and the DM made me endure morale-sapping dark magic for an hour, I'd be like "wtf, where is a thing I can hit with my axe?", even if I could endure it with dwarven toughness. If I choose to suck at combat and excel at interaction, I'm telling the DM that I don't want to spend an hour fighting and ignore my Charisma modifier. If I choose to rock at combat and suck at exploration, I'm telling the DM that I don't want to spend an hour of table-time roughing it in the wilderness, I'd prefer to take my luxurious caravan, and kill some bandits. When there's a five players all vying for that limited time, maybe it's not a good idea to spend an hour ignoring what one of 'em is trying to tell you.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Repeat thread: strike one!

Black font: Strike two!

Ending your post with "just saying": Strike three! You're outta here!

Tuft

First Post
My first stab at this was essentially non-combat roles: "social strikers" get two successes, "social controllers" lower the DC, "social leaders" give you bonuses, "social defenders" help mitigate failures...

"Action" (http://hastur.net/wiki/Action), [MENTION=2303]Starfox[/MENTION]' homebrew which I love playing in, has a different angle.

All skills, including the two fighting skills "Melee" and "Shoot", have both an information-gathering and a social aspect.

An example from actual play in a science fiction/fantasy/gumshoe setting: The party was spread all over the city, because we needed to gather information about a house that was owned by the local planetary military. The party cleric went to the military's open shooting range, and used the social aspects of his Shoot skill ("Hey, this guy's knows what he is talking about!") to gain their confidence as a weapon nerd to other weapon nerds, and then locating an officer who knew about the building in question.

Note that this is an explicit social interaction and solely targetable at those who share the same skill (and thus the same interests) - it is no "benchpressing to gain the confidence of the king".

Since these social aspects of skills are tied to that specific skill, the DM can flavour interactions and information by that skill. Information gained through your Shoot skill will have a diffent flavour and focus than information gained through the Ride skill. This means it is meaningfull for several characters to try, in order to get the complete picture.

(There are also generic social skills in this system for use against those you don't share common intests with. Ride-characters talk with Ride-NPCs, Shoot-characters talk with Shoot-NPCs, and Charm-characters talk with everybody.)

Not at all!

First, "sucks at combat like a thief" in my mind means "the player can make a thief that, in combat, can make some minimum contribution, but no fancy automatic tricks." So that thief is hitting the dragon with a bow from cover, or setting up flanking for a round or two, or filching items from the hoard until she comes across something she can use on the dragon, or fleeing below the precarious stalactite and taunting. Which means that the fight can totally be longer -- the thief is consistently contributing, she's just not contributing to the level of the fighter (who is going toe-to-toe with the thing and being awesome at it), at least not on a consistent basis. After maybe 5+ rounds boredom might set in, especially if the environment is dull, but that's a pretty big slice of time. And, given that this choice is one the player made intentionally (to suck at combat), it's reinforcing her character as a sneaky thief that prefers to run away rather than fight.

[...]

But lets say that an hour-plus-long combat is mandatory to feel significantly "epic" and we're rationally afraid that the thief's contributions are too weak to keep the player engaged for that long. Why not look at that from an angle that brings in what the thief's player wants her character to do, rather than making her be a fighter-equivalent? Why not make the dragon a challenge that is not just combat, but that is also exploration in some way? Perhaps the dragon flies to a cavern inaccessible to all but the agile thief. Perhaps the dragon fights in darkness that only our skulky friend is good enough to navigate to turn the lights back on. Maybe there's a hidey-hole the thief can find which is good to use to hide from the breath weapon. Maybe the thief's keen eye for value can pick out the dragon-slaying arrow amongst the gold pile.

Very much true. The most exciting fights, in my option, are the ones where some other task is inter-mingled with the task of reducing enemy HP.

In [MENTION=2303]Starfox[/MENTION]' tryout 4E campaign, the one I remember most is the one where my character worked the entire fight to keep a weather control ritual running to keep the howling snow storm at bay - and after the fight created a hot spring bath with another ritual at a gp cost that horrified the optimizers of the group...

This was all thanks to [MENTION=2303]Starfox[/MENTION] writing a houserule for having ritual casting times measured in combat rounds rather than minutes...

Last edited:

Tuft

First Post
that was what I miss most about 1e/2e D&D. You could have an even bigger combat in less than in subsequent editions.

Example, in a 2e game, we had a huge group of 10 PCs. It was 10 PCs, 2 NPC allies and 30 caravan drivers/guards, and we went up against 100 lizardmen, a shaman, some crocodiles and snakes and nasty giant dragonflies. We knocked off that huge combat in 3-4 hours. I tried a scaled down version of that combat in a 3.5e game (50 lizard folk, a shaman, no snakes and only 3 dragonflies instead of 6) against 6 PCs, 2 allied NPCs and 10 caravan drivers and the entire combat took 3 full sessions, or more than four times longer for a smaller combat.

Back when I first played 1E, we had about a dozen PCs, not counting henchmen,allies, etc. A full assault-style attack on a enemy stronghold or evil temple could easily run into the triple-digit range of combat rounds - and it could still be played in a single 8-12h session.

That speed of play meant it was worth it to spend half a dozen rounds to perform a proper flanking maneuver, to work on achieving local numerical superiority, or to send sneaky mobile assets (rogues) ahead to cut enemy communication lines (couriers and runners), etc. you know, genuine tactics, not "use power A on monsters of type X".

Starfox

Adventurer
This is a bogus spin as far as I'm concerned. 3e is no more or less prescriptive than 4e. The prescriptive/descriptive approach is what the players and DMs bring to the table. Are the rules a framework for the DM and players to use or are they the laws of the game? Does the table play RAI, RAW, or with liberal use of Rule 0? That's fundamentally an aspect of play style.

The descriptive spin in 4E came from the metodology that everyone HAS to contribute to a skill challenge. So, standing before the king as a fighter, I look at my character sheet and wonder what I could possibly do. Bench pressing the throne (Athletics) or drinking him under the table (Endurance) are basically the only things most fighters can do in this situation. And thus that is what they do.

First, "sucks at combat like a thief" in my mind means "the player can make a thief that, in combat, can make some minimum contribution, but no fancy automatic tricks." So that thief is hitting the dragon with a bow from cover, or setting up flanking for a round or two, or filching items from the hoard until she comes across something she can use on the dragon, or fleeing below the precarious stalactite and taunting.

All those, with the possible exception of shooting with a bow into melee are, without either the DM designing the adventure round your character or fancy automatic tricks going to accomplish diddly squat. In order to taunt the dragon under the stalactite when it has a fighter in its face you are going to need cool powers not to simply get laughed at. Setting up flanking for a round or two - not attacking for a round or two (out of four or five at most). Not doing much at all. And searching the loot pile? Because the dragon is going to keep items to attack it with that thieves can use there. That takes the DM actively assisting you.

But lets say that an hour-plus-long combat is mandatory to feel significantly "epic" and we're rationally afraid that the thief's contributions are too weak to keep the player engaged for that long. Why not look at that from an angle that brings in what the thief's player wants her character to do, rather than making her be a fighter-equivalent? Why not make the dragon a challenge that is not just combat, but that is also exploration in some way? Perhaps the dragon flies to a cavern inaccessible to all but the agile thief.

And with that statement you have just eliminated a lot of playstyles. You need to set up your campaign round the capabilities of your PCs. Goodbye sandboxes. You aren't wanted round here. Goodbye adventure paths. You don't work without preselected parties. Goodbye just pitching the challenge to the players and letting them decide how to answer it. You need, as DM, to predetermine a way the thief will be useful. To me, predetermining what the PCs will do is anathema. It's reminiscent of the worst of 90s metaplot railroads.

Perhaps the dragon fights in darkness that only our skulky friend is good enough to navigate to turn the lights back on. Maybe there's a hidey-hole the thief can find which is good to use to hide from the breath weapon. Maybe the thief's keen eye for value can pick out the dragon-slaying arrow amongst the gold pile. Why not let the thief contribute to the combat by utilizing her exploration skills?

Why not set things up so that the thief is deliberately thrown a softball to let them contribute? Because the way I see things that's simply patronising to the thief and make-work for the GM. Why not just set things up so the thief can contribute. After all everyone else can contribute to combat unless they specifically choose not to. Clerics? Check. Fighters? Check. Wizards? Unless they've chosen spells that mean they can't, check. Druids? Check.

Why oh why must we single out the thief as the one class that can't contribute and must be given special treatment? (Even fighters can contribute to social situations).

Starfox

Adventurer
What the rogue really suffers from it the hp mechanic.

In a game without escalating hit points, any attack from stealth or flank is deadly, becasue the defenses you have instead of hit points (parries, dodges, defense values) generally do not work well when you are unaware. To emulate this in the AnD hit-point-paradigm, we have Sneak Attack. I see sneak attack as a way to circumvent the hit point rules, essentially a gamey mechanic. But when you try to apply a "simulationist" approach to hit points, you get things like precision damage that cannot affect certain monsters or anyone with concealment. The more "realism" you try to apply to the rogue, the more the basic gamety of hit points become glaring.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases