"Immortal Fortress" - WotC Drops Clues About The Upcoming Storyline?

With the new D&D storyline being announced soon in the Stream of Many Eyes, WotC has created a new Twitter account called "Immortal Fortress" in which it appears to be giving cryptic answers to questions.

With the new D&D storyline being announced soon in the Stream of Many Eyes, WotC has created a new Twitter account called "Immortal Fortress" in which it appears to be giving cryptic answers to questions.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.11.01.png

It was announced via their main Twitter account:

"Forgive my usurpation of this information stream, but circumstances call for nothing less. I dare not cede control ere I’ve occasion to recount a brief but dire missive from the realms that time forgot.

The Sage of Shadowdale hath hid on Earth a stone, of power great and imminent import. Its guardian, an exile from my realm, was spirited to Earth with this in tow; To keep it safe and secret ere its prophesied return.

The hour of its need now soon at hand, this item and its wielder must be found; Sent, via portal, back from whence they came. At long last, well and truly homeward-bound.

The Sage of Shadowdale himself is otherwise engaged, and cast me as his proxy in this search. Unable, as I am, to sojourn there myself, this task falls to the denizens of Earth.

Should you be of a mind to render aid, direct your queries to mine own account. I’m called @Immortal4tress, my address: your internet; Elminster’s humble servant, and forever in your debt."

Heading over to the Immortal Fortress account, there is this message: "My thanks to one and all who had the courage to recite the words the Sage of Shadowdale hath writ. I know not when or how these clues will come, so each of us should keep the rest informed. To guarantee that no replies be missed be sure to tag your posts #NoStoneUnturned."

The Twitter account is headed by a black and white photograph of Bodiam Castle in East Sussex. That could be relevant, or it could just be a representative castle.

bodiam.jpg

Image from Alternative Planting blog

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I dont think there's anything to spoil with this. I read somewhere that in each AP there's a black stone obelisk that appears in various and random locations. They are just there in the description and there's nothing to do with them, but still there's is one in each AP. Might be nothing.

I've found the obelisks in many of the APs, but not in Curse of Strahd.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I've found the obelisks in many of the APs, but not in Curse of Strahd.

There was a list some months ago on Reddit. IIRC there's one in each AP, but I can be wrong. I looked earlier on reddit for the easter egg from SCAG in the elven alphabet table where's hidden a message that talked about stones, but couldnt find the thread.

I like how they are making an in joke reference to old problem of the 'Forgotten Realms and it's silly OP NPCs for whom the PCs are just lackeys' - thankfully a thing of the past
"The Sage of Shadowdale himself is otherwise engaged"
:erm:

guachi

Hero
Castle Amber!

I recently ran X2 Castle Amber in my 5e campaign and I tried to keep it as brutal and ludicrous and random as the original. It was more fun than it had any right to be. Two PCs outright died, then both got reincarnated as gnomes. The actual gnome got possessed by an evil insane princess for 2/3 of the adventure.

If it is Castle Amber I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm sure they'll neuter the capricious nature of the adventure.

EDIT: Mystara/Known World is the only D&D world I'm aware of where the gods are referred to as Immortals. And Stephen Amber is and Immortal. And his Chateau is kind of like a fortress, right?

Still a stretch. But X2 is the kind of adventure that works as a sort of demi-plane adventure like Curse of Strahd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The "swamp castle" from Hoard of the Dragon Queen, a few generations earlier. There is more to that "telescope" than meets the eye...

jrowland

First Post
Probably not it at all, but reading that reminded me of the Dragon #100 adventure "The City Beyond the Gate". Good times.

(an aside, I only remember this issue because its also the go-to source for dragonchess)

Remove ads

Remove ads