"Immortal Fortress" - WotC Drops Clues About The Upcoming Storyline?

With the new D&D storyline being announced soon in the Stream of Many Eyes, WotC has created a new Twitter account called "Immortal Fortress" in which it appears to be giving cryptic answers to questions.

With the new D&D storyline being announced soon in the Stream of Many Eyes, WotC has created a new Twitter account called "Immortal Fortress" in which it appears to be giving cryptic answers to questions.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.11.01.png

It was announced via their main Twitter account:

"Forgive my usurpation of this information stream, but circumstances call for nothing less. I dare not cede control ere I’ve occasion to recount a brief but dire missive from the realms that time forgot.

The Sage of Shadowdale hath hid on Earth a stone, of power great and imminent import. Its guardian, an exile from my realm, was spirited to Earth with this in tow; To keep it safe and secret ere its prophesied return.

The hour of its need now soon at hand, this item and its wielder must be found; Sent, via portal, back from whence they came. At long last, well and truly homeward-bound.

The Sage of Shadowdale himself is otherwise engaged, and cast me as his proxy in this search. Unable, as I am, to sojourn there myself, this task falls to the denizens of Earth.

Should you be of a mind to render aid, direct your queries to mine own account. I’m called @Immortal4tress, my address: your internet; Elminster’s humble servant, and forever in your debt."

Heading over to the Immortal Fortress account, there is this message: "My thanks to one and all who had the courage to recite the words the Sage of Shadowdale hath writ. I know not when or how these clues will come, so each of us should keep the rest informed. To guarantee that no replies be missed be sure to tag your posts #NoStoneUnturned."

The Twitter account is headed by a black and white photograph of Bodiam Castle in East Sussex. That could be relevant, or it could just be a representative castle.

bodiam.jpg

Image from Alternative Planting blog

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Seems it wont be a planar adventure fro this one.
The write-up from the Seattle Times describes the adventure as: '' Da Vinci's Code meet Gangs of New York''. Sounds a lot like a twist on classic Undermountain + Eye of the Beholder.

Taken from Reddit.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Seems it wont be a planar adventure fro this one.
The write-up from the Seattle Times describes the adventure as: '' Da Vinci's Code meet Gangs of New York''. Sounds a lot like a twist on classic Undermountain + Eye of the Beholder.

Taken from Reddit.
Well, the Waterdeep/Undermountain angle was clear by this point, but the Da Vinci Code angle explains the egg hunt they are doing right now.

Staffan

Legend
I find the concept intriguing.

I mean, Undermountain as a dungeon, only bigger - well, that's a boring concept. Kick down door, kill monster, loot treasure... that's useless. But if they manage to present it as a setting similar to the city above, and with the two interacting... now, that's interesting. Particularly if they combine it with a mystery/easter egg hunt similar to the DaVinci Code.

Irennan

Explorer

I mean, Undermountain as a dungeon, only bigger - well, that's a boring concept. Kick down door, kill monster, loot treasure... that's useless. But if they manage to present it as a setting similar to the city above, and with the two interacting... now, that's interesting. Particularly if they combine it with a mystery/easter egg hunt similar to the DaVinci Code.

Part of it already is a mini setting, with Skullport and the near Promenade of the Dark Maiden. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to present the whole dungeon as some kind of setting

I have never found Undermountain very interesting (and never used it despite playing FR in every edition), BUT I have really enjoyed the 5e products so far and if presented as more of a setting than mega-dungeon, I would actually consider running it. That could be interesting.

For example, when I ran the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil waaay back in 3.0, the mega-dungeon aspect got boring fast. But then we had the PCs infiltrate the different cults and basically go on missions for them and eventually work them into turning on each other. That made it far more interesting.

So Undermountain is far down on the list of what I would hope for, but I also trust the current 5e team to make it more interesting for me. I won't judge it until I see it and hope to be pleasantly surprised. However, I'm still hoping it's more Waterdeep/urban, but time will tell!

Remove ads

Remove ads