"Immortal Fortress" - WotC Drops Clues About The Upcoming Storyline?

With the new D&D storyline being announced soon in the Stream of Many Eyes, WotC has created a new Twitter account called "Immortal Fortress" in which it appears to be giving cryptic answers to questions.

With the new D&D storyline being announced soon in the Stream of Many Eyes, WotC has created a new Twitter account called "Immortal Fortress" in which it appears to be giving cryptic answers to questions.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.11.01.png

It was announced via their main Twitter account:

"Forgive my usurpation of this information stream, but circumstances call for nothing less. I dare not cede control ere I’ve occasion to recount a brief but dire missive from the realms that time forgot.

The Sage of Shadowdale hath hid on Earth a stone, of power great and imminent import. Its guardian, an exile from my realm, was spirited to Earth with this in tow; To keep it safe and secret ere its prophesied return.

The hour of its need now soon at hand, this item and its wielder must be found; Sent, via portal, back from whence they came. At long last, well and truly homeward-bound.

The Sage of Shadowdale himself is otherwise engaged, and cast me as his proxy in this search. Unable, as I am, to sojourn there myself, this task falls to the denizens of Earth.

Should you be of a mind to render aid, direct your queries to mine own account. I’m called @Immortal4tress, my address: your internet; Elminster’s humble servant, and forever in your debt."

Heading over to the Immortal Fortress account, there is this message: "My thanks to one and all who had the courage to recite the words the Sage of Shadowdale hath writ. I know not when or how these clues will come, so each of us should keep the rest informed. To guarantee that no replies be missed be sure to tag your posts #NoStoneUnturned."

The Twitter account is headed by a black and white photograph of Bodiam Castle in East Sussex. That could be relevant, or it could just be a representative castle.

bodiam.jpg

Image from Alternative Planting blog

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
So, we know that WotC said they weren't looking into doing another 2-part adventure like the Tiamat series, but "Broadway" and "Catacomb" really do sound like a Waterdeep and Undermountain one-two punch. Yeah, this has been brought up before, and, fairly reasonably, been pooh-poohed as something that wouldn't be likely, but still...

Maybe "Broadway" is the adventure, and "Catacomb" is another "Tales from the Yawning Portal"-type book, detailing smaller adventures throughout parts of Undermountain (and perhaps Waterdeep) not covered in "Broadway"? Adventures that could be used in conjunction with, or independently of, the main adventure in "Broadway"? And they could definitely call it something like "More Tales from the Yawning Portal" and actually tie it into the eponymous tavern!

And... carrying this out even further in speculation, this would be an interesting way to showcase other regions/settings when they get around to them - a main book being a combination setting guide/adventure (like ToA was for Chult), and a second book with smaller adventures and filling out areas the first book couldn't cover...

Would such necessarily have to be a two-parter, rather than two adventures built separate but able to e run in sequence if desired (perhaps one is 1-10 and the other 8-15 or such?) without modifications if the DM desired, or could at least be run in a connected campaign (or borrow elements from each other) if a group didn't want to do both with same characters?

If I wasn't a realist, I'd think they were going to revive Castle Greyhawk. The original Dungeon in "Dungeons and Dragons". Too bad such a place would not fit in the Forgotten Realms, the de facto 5e setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads