D&D 5E Dragonscale armor question

William Hola

Villager
Fabricate is a 4th level spell plus the spellcaster casting it would have to have skill as an armor smith. Unless you happen to have such in your party, it's not easy to find such a person and they would likely come at a premium, not a discount.

That's assuming your DM rules the Dragonscale is nonmagical - Fabricate can't work with/craft magical items. Looking at the discription of Dragon Scale armor, I'd certainly say it was magical for my game

Too true, though that is the reason I said consult with your DM. In my mind (but maybe not the mind of YOUR DM) dragonscale armor is not "magical". The reason I say this is because dragonscales their self are not "magical" persay, they are just very hard and resistant to the type of damage the dragon uses. Even knowing in the DMG it is considered a "magical item", I think it is just there because there is no better place to put it. When I made my first post I was thinking that the person who was going to make the dragonscale armor might be able to cast fabricate himself OR ask a friend to do it for him as a favor.

There are a lot of backgrounds that allow you to become proficient with a particular tool so if you plan in advance to use fabricate as a business, it should not be that hard. Also, if you are willing to spend some gold and around 100 downtime you could learn to use a new tool. As I said in my first post, consult with your DM and no other because your DM is going to be running for you and their thought on the idea is all that matters.

(is this a necro post?)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Too true, though that is the reason I said consult with your DM. In my mind (but maybe not the mind of YOUR DM) dragonscale armor is not "magical". The reason I say this is because dragonscales their self are not "magical" persay, they are just very hard and resistant to the type of damage the dragon uses. Even knowing in the DMG it is considered a "magical item", I think it is just there because there is no better place to put it. When I made my first post I was thinking that the person who was going to make the dragonscale armor might be able to cast fabricate himself OR ask a friend to do it for him as a favor.

There are a lot of backgrounds that allow you to become proficient with a particular tool so if you plan in advance to use fabricate as a business, it should not be that hard. Also, if you are willing to spend some gold and around 100 downtime you could learn to use a new tool. As I said in my first post, consult with your DM and no other because your DM is going to be running for you and their thought on the idea is all that matters.

(is this a necro post?)
A Necro post is one that raises a (usually long) dead thread, hence Necro post. Usually happens when someone uses the search function and doesn't realize how old the thread is.

As for your actual point: Dragonscale requires attunement in 5e which, by definition, makes it a magical item.

Personally , I consider it more fun to require the players to find someone who can work with the Dragonscale (hey look, side quest) than to just look at the party mage and say "here, fabricate this.."

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Coroc

Hero
I would ask that price, to work with such a raw material requires the most capable leatherworkers. It is also about Fitting the armor to your Body which is an art in itself.

The raw material itself is much more expensive though, but normally no one will buy it. I also would rule that only certain scales are of the correct size needed for an armor, so that you cannot make say 20 suits from a big dragon, but rather 2 or so.

Your example is a good RAW thing for those ppl always asking what to spend their gold on

jgsugden

Legend
Any DM considering offering a discount might consider dropping the hoard value for the dragon (or surrounding treasure piles) by an equivalent amount to keep PCs within the expected wealth estimates.

CapnZapp

Legend
Any DM considering offering a discount might consider dropping the hoard value for the dragon (or surrounding treasure piles) by an equivalent amount to keep PCs within the expected wealth estimates.

This sounds like the thread is still stuck in some past edition.

There are no expected wealth estimates in 5E.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads