Coming in May: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes! [UPDATED!]

So they just gave the title and showed the cover mock-ups; no specific info till Monday?

Does anyone recognize the characters in the alternate cover? Besides Drizzt, obviously.

Edit: Is it Lady Vol just behind Drizzt? It looks a lot like the D&D Miniatures version I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remathilis

Legend
Hmmm... Hypothesis wrong, it IS about the conflicts, not just high-level baddies and their minions.

The four called out specifically are

* The Blood War (info on demons and devils, with new high CR types and the optional tiefling bloodlines for PCs I wager)
* Elves vs. Drow (info on elven culture, probably some high CR drow and allies, and well as the new elven subraces)
* The Gith (some info on their cultures, the astral/Limbo, high CR types, and the gith race with the yanki an zerai subraces)
* Dwarves vs. Duergar (dwarven subculture, probably some new monsters and perhaps some dwarf options. Honestly, UA spoiled the least about this one)

He also mentions how gnomes and halflings fit into the multiverse (probably there will be a chapter about those who avoid conflicts, both of these races are adept at that). I also wouldn't be surprised if Seelie vs. Unseelie fey (with the Eladrin PC race as a PC option) don't get a mention.

Honestly, the way Mearls talked about it in the video, its one part racial guide, one part planar guide, one part monster book, and a smattering of PC options. If its anything like Volo's, I'm sure it will be pretty useful.

pukunui

Legend
It looks less like a Drizzt and more like just another Drow.
The two magic scimitars say Drizzt to me.

On a different note, who wants to bet that the new duergar will just be reprints from OotA? (I wouldn't be surprised if the demon lords all get reprinted as well.)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hope you right - but I cannot see any information on new playable races there. Any way will see

Here's the quote:

"Players will love to delve into Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes to search for story hooks to use with their characters, as well as try out some of the player options for races like tieflings and elves, or maybe an otherworldly githyanki or githzerai."

Remove ads

Remove ads