Do You Play in AL?

Do You Play in AL?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Does anyone have guesses about the % of players overall?

It can't be more than 5% right? Probably closer to 1-2% I would think.

jmartkdr

First Post
I think one of the biggest changes in the community in the past few years has been this: public games and organized play are both normal - while they've been around since the 70's, they used to be a niche and a small segment of the hobby. Now it's a significant chunk of the aggregate play experience.

It used to be almost everyone only ever played home games. Now online and organized play are common, and so rules, houserules, and expected behaviors are adjusting to these facts. For a forum, this means you can't always assume people play in home games - which is why "leave and find a new group" is such a common suggestion for social problems at the table. It's also way a lot of build advice tries to stick to PHB+1 when possible; there's a good chance a reader will have to work within that restriction.

(The other big change is streaming games, but that's a different thread. (My short answer: streaming means new players have an idea what a game of DnD actually looks like in practice, and some expectation going in. Back in the 90's, IME, they generally had no idea what to expect or whet to do.)

Zardnaar

Legend
I find it interesting that nearly 4 in 10 people play some AL games.

4 in 10 forum posters in the real world its closer to 5% I think, there was a survey on it a while ago. I expect a higher % of forum users to know how to power game, play AL, and play online.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m still not really clear on what it is and how it works! But no, I just play a regular old home game.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think one of the biggest changes in the community in the past few years has been this: public games and organized play are both normal - while they've been around since the 70's, they used to be a niche and a small segment of the hobby. Now it's a significant chunk of the aggregate play experience.

It used to be almost everyone only ever played home games. Now online and organized play are common, and so rules, houserules, and expected behaviors are adjusting to these facts. For a forum, this means you can't always assume people play in home games - which is why "leave and find a new group" is such a common suggestion for social problems at the table. It's also way a lot of build advice tries to stick to PHB+1 when possible; there's a good chance a reader will have to work within that restriction.

(The other big change is streaming games, but that's a different thread. (My short answer: streaming means new players have an idea what a game of DnD actually looks like in practice, and some expectation going in. Back in the 90's, IME, they generally had no idea what to expect or whet to do.)

Is it common though?

Of the over 15 million active players in NA, how many play in public games?

As for the advice about leaving games, I give that advice assuming the person plays in a home game. The game just isn't worth it. It's supposed to be fun.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=277]jasper[/MENTION]

Sorry, but that is not the point, it is hard to find players, although I have my private group I would like to have a more established publically organized alternative also.

So I am a bit jealous about the way it seems to be in the U.S., where you seem to have a lot more players, and the habitus that you can meet up in a game store to find interested people. This does not exist in that way in Germany, at least I am not aware of.

jmartkdr

First Post
Fair point - it may not be that much more common. But the difference isn't not so much a matter of being common, just normalized. As in, it isn't considered an oddball thing only done on the fringes of the hobby.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I said no but I guess it's closer to not really. I run and/or play in a game regularly for encounters, but we don't use AL. None of our players are really interested in it if they are aware of it at all, and the DMs don't feel it's worth the bookkeeping, all things considered. So we just run games for new players.

Remove ads