D&D 5E Spell components. Anyone have a DM actually enforce them?

pukunui

Legend
In a way, the spell component pouch is just a different themed spell focus.
Indeed. Especially when you consider that it doesn't specify that you even need to open the pouch and use what's inside it. You just need to be able to hold it, just like any other spellcasting focus.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It seems that the spell component pouch was a materials bag of holding as it never seemed to run out.
I don't have my book handy, but I thought that the components were not consumed by the spell unless the book explicitly said they were. So your components mostly shouldn't have to be refreshed.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No, not in all my years of gaming. It seems like there's not a whole lot of fun to be wrung out of worrying about it.

pdzoch

Explorer
[MENTION=6702445]jayoungr[/MENTION]: True: Components are not consumed unless it states they are consumed. But some of the component seem suspect for staying viable for use in a spell, such as a morsel of food, a piece of flesh, drop of blood, all of which would probably rot or dry out (unless the drop was drawn fresh each time from the walking vessel!) and incense (which one would think would be consumed).

Last edited:

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I'm a DM, I enforce them...in 1e/2e/HM. In 5e I "encourage" them. In my 5e game, if it has a specific gp value, you must have it; it is also consumed/used in the casting. For other components, your generic focus/component bag will get you through. HOWEVER...if you actually *have* the specified component(s), you can use those and they get used up, but that spell will have at least average effect, or double range, or increased duration, or wider area of effect, or you can manipulate some aspect of it. For example, a fireball spell with actual components on-hand will do at least 4 points per die of damage (if you roll 1-3, it counts as 4).

This encourages the caster to actually seek out components and all that other cool magical stuff, but doesn't penalize those who don't care or who have characters with 'supplemental' casting (like a Paladin, for example).

But in my 1e/2e/HM games? Hell yeah! You don't have the component...you can't cast the spell. Feel free to supplement seagull poop for bat guano, however, I love a good random roll on the Miscast table. ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Prism

Explorer
Indeed. Especially when you consider that it doesn't specify that you even need to open the pouch and use what's inside it. You just need to be able to hold it, just like any other spellcasting focus.

Its not actually a spell casting focus. In fact its the only way things like Eldritch Knights can cast their spells as they can't use a focus. I also wouldn't say it needs to be held as I assume its on your belt, although the things in it would need to be held during casting so it serves the same purpose. Of course this is just assumed. It doesn't actually say how its used

ccs

41st lv DM
Does being the DM that enforces them count? Because that's me. :)
And it's one of the ways you keep the spell casters in-check/challenged.

Btw, I also track my own components when I'm a player. Even in games where the DM isnt.

Shiroiken

Legend
I wonder if it would feel less handwavey if spell component pouches had limited uses, like a healer's kit. That would imply that the supplies in the pouch are limited and need to be replaced / topped up every so often.
In my game Spell Component Pouches and Mistletoe have to be refreshed every year (basically you have to buy a new one). Mistletoe and Holy Symbols are the only non-magical foci, so most spellcasters have to use a Pouch until they get lucky enough to find a magic wand/staff/etc. It's helped to keep an old school feel to the game without being overly obnoxious.

ThePolarBear

First Post
I do enforce them. All components. Keep track of them and see if you can cast something. I've also been enforced components upon when i forget about them and there's reasons to not be able to cast for some reason (Shield and having two hands busy is mean, man)

If you mean material ones in specific: Yeah, if there's reason why a component pouch or a focus is not availlable or you can't access them (see above, two hands are too few sometimes) or, you know, the usual spells with expensive components.

Component pouches for me are refreshed at first possible iteraction. I use kind of a weird pacing in my games. I also like keeping track of encumberance. I'm weeeeeird.

I like using them as hooks or to start events if there needs to be a push for something, and at least mention the restocking and changing of equipment as something that gets done in between "adventure quests". If things get long on some of those trips, i usually also prompt some warning to the group beforehand and try to pay attention to put focus on something is actually a component that the group is running low on on my descriptions. Not punishing, just adding some "normally special" in the world.
(Yes i know that components are not used unless stated. As said before by someone, some things just make sense that can just rot away or such. Also after all the years i still find hilarious the idea of an old wizards yelling "Yes! Bats! Now i have some guano!")

Dkamanus

First Post
Hiya!

I'm a DM, I enforce them...in 1e/2e/HM. In 5e I "encourage" them. In my 5e game, if it has a specific gp value, you must have it; it is also consumed/used in the casting. For other components, your generic focus/component bag will get you through. HOWEVER...if you actually *have* the specified component(s), you can use those and they get used up, but that spell will have at least average effect, or double range, or increased duration, or wider area of effect, or you can manipulate some aspect of it. For example, a fireball spell with actual components on-hand will do at least 4 points per die of damage (if you roll 1-3, it counts as 4).

This encourages the caster to actually seek out components and all that other cool magical stuff, but doesn't penalize those who don't care or who have characters with 'supplemental' casting (like a Paladin, for example).

But in my 1e/2e/HM games? Hell yeah! You don't have the component...you can't cast the spell. Feel free to supplement seagull poop for bat guano, however, I love a good random roll on the Miscast table. ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

How would be the easiest way for me to keep track AND enforce the use of components? I have a Druid, a Cleric and a Wizard on my party, and I don't remember they actually paying attention to this kind of stuff. I making a campaign with a friend and we want it to be a little more difficult ("realistic").

Remove ads