D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use. AD

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use.

AD

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The spell filters, especially the keyword options, are very nice. Being able to find all healing spells, for example. Not that they don't need some polish, of course; for example, the "Banishment" keyword doesn't include the spell Banishment. :)

What's the difference between signing up for a twitch account or signing up for a DDE only account. I don't see the problem there at all. I never had a twitch account, the sign up didn't have me leave the DDE website at all. No fuss. What's the problem?

Anyway, yeah, the compendium part is about what I expected. Nice filters, the spell, monster, and magic item lists will be super useful for me to quickly look things up. This was the easiest phase, however, as it's just text and filters. the Builder will be the true test.
Twitch is popular and primarily used for video games, so therefore it is evil...

epithet

Explorer
First Impression: yup, this is a pretty version of the Hypertext SRD.
Second Impression: That's pretty much it. Not much else to say for this phase...

As far as I can tell, there is no search ability on the rules compendium. If your're looking for the rules on hiding, you need to already know they're under the dexterity entry of the ability check section. When you read that, if you are then looking for the rule for light and heavy obscurement, you need to know those are under the environment entry in the adventuring section.

When an entry in the compendium refers to another entry, it really needs to be hotlinked, and there should be a search field for the entire rules compendium. This is the most basic functionality of an online info tool - searchability and linked entries. I would not have expected DDB to launch without these features.

The pdf is at least searchable.

Last edited by a moderator:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I was mildly annoyed at having to make a twitch account I was under the impression that I had already signed up. That being Said it does look nice and clean and useful.

Though most of the stuff I want isn't in phase one anyway.

So for anyone keeping score -1 for having to make a twitch account +1 for each tab having an easy to use layout and filter. I particularly like being able to see all the fiends or aberrations with one click.

epithet

Explorer
Twitch is popular and primarily used for video games, so therefore it is evil...

I think of Twitch as a advertisement delivery platform first and foremost. Fortunately, I maintain an email account especially for junk mail generators like that, so I'm not offput.

Inglorin

Explorer
There is no option to download anything, it's just the Web interface at Phase 1.

As far as I remember they didn't promise the anything downloadable. They said that you could play you character offline. That may as well mean a not-so-stupid-Webpage that just syncs with the server when it has a connection.

Found it:

from http://www.tribality.com/2017/03/15/dd-beyond-qa-with-curses-senior-product-manager-adam-bradford/

Will the content only be available while the device is connected to the internet? Will there be some offline capabilities?

[FONT=&amp]I can’t talk about that part quite yet, mostly due to the fact that whatever I say at this point would be met with more than a healthy dose of misconception in the community. We have a license that does not restrict how we deliver the tool set – it allows us to provide it using any technology on any platform. All will be explained on that front soon!

What I can say is that we are fully aware of the offline capability concerns and are working to mitigate those concerns. I know that convention (or sometimes deep basement) Wi-Fi isn’t reliable and I can assure you that people will still be able to play their characters in those circumstances.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

machineelf

Explorer
Not a big fan of Twitch's policy on accounts. Be forewarned if you use a VPN, they will insta-ban your account simply by being associated with certain VPN IP addresses, even if you have don't nothing untoward whatsoever. In other words, create an account. A month later accidentally log in while connected to VPN on their ban list. Get entire account instantly banned, no warning. Really turned me off Twitch.

jamesjhaeck

Explorer
Not a big fan of Twitch's policy on accounts. Be forewarned if you use a VPN, they will insta-ban your account simply by being associated with certain VPN IP addresses, even if you have don't nothing untoward whatsoever. In other words, create an account. A month later accidentally log in while connected to VPN on their ban list. Get entire account instantly banned, no warning. Really turned me off Twitch.

Surely you can see why they have that policy, though. A ton of spammers, harassers, and so forth use VPNs to make multiple accounts and circumvent IP bans. I see it as a net gain for the user experience.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Surely you can see why they have that policy, though. A ton of spammers, harassers, and so forth use VPNs to make multiple accounts and circumvent IP bans. I see it as a net gain for the user experience.

Yup. Spambots are problem we have right here on EN World. Takes a mix of tech and moderation to handle them.

Remove ads

Remove ads