Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

Tony Vargas

Legend
Warlord is a horrible name, anyway.
It's good enough for John Carter...
...OK, Marvel fans, and Travis Morgan.
Let him make the Fighter subclass the Warlord (because being all fighter-y fits the name), and come up with a different name for the tactician class.
Even with as few as you're trying to keep your hypothetical sub-class list too, Tactician is only one of them.

We've had brainstorming sessions and polls, here, about alternatives to the name. It's one of those cases of "worst possible option, except for all the others."

FREX: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471694-Warlord-Name-Poll

Besides, the only options with any sense of continuity at all are Warlord (which is, at least, somewhat fantasy-sounding), and Marshal (which is an American law-enforcement officer - maybe it sounds better to European ears, but to me, it just evokes westerns).

Might be a bit difficult to make a Warlord class if you already use the Warlord name in a fighter subclass...
Meh, Mike has a track-record of re-using names. Consider the Hunter-Ranger and the Ranger(Hunter), for instance.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
:erm:

A non-fighty/not very fighty Warlord sounds...

...really really annoying.

Akin to a back-seat driver.

Sure, in the real world we have coaches and instructors but... well maybe its just our table and we assume to roles of adventurers that typically graduated from boot camp. Having someone else telling you you're doing it wrong, the counterpart of 'do it like this its better!', is.. at best annoying. At worst, rather rude! :D

In actual play they abilities that buff allies even if they are using the flavor of command/order/help etc... those abilities in actual play rarely feel like someone being a backseat driver. On an intellectual level it may sound like it would play that way but it doesn't in actual play. Just like a bard doesn't make your character love music.

mellored

Legend
Warlord is a horrible name, anyway. Let him make the Fighter subclass the Warlord (because being all fighter-y fits the name), and come up with a different name for the tactician class.
I don't think anyone would be upset if it was renamed, and there's probably been at least 10 other good names that have been suggested. And probably another 10 more that where useable.

But until there's something offical to replace it, it's going to be stuck at the last offical name D&D called it, which is "warlord".

Tony Vargas

Legend
*Inserts distracting slightly snarky comment designed to sidetrack and derail discussion
... OK, that's a cue...

Sounds more like to me "Everyone who doesn't agree 100% with you is tired of your crap and has stopped responding because they realize nothing aside from agreeing with whatever you say will get through to you"
weak effort, but better late than never

Last edited:

Remove ads