• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC “Atomic Arcade”— WotC’s New Digital Platform?

WotC has applied for a trademark for “Atomic Arcade”. The application was made late last month, and covers: Downloadable electronic games to be used in connection with computers, console gaming devices, and wireless devices Fantasy role playing games, board games, trading card games, and collectible toy figures Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games and interactive...

WotC has applied for a trademark for “Atomic Arcade”. The application was made late last month, and covers:
  • Downloadable electronic games to be used in connection with computers, console gaming devices, and wireless devices
  • Fantasy role playing games, board games, trading card games, and collectible toy figures
  • Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games and interactive multiplayer online computer games via a global network

1747059F-FBAE-4E84-ABA5-1472765AA3EC.jpeg

Earlier in the year, rumours spread regarding WotC’s plans for its own virtual tabletop platform (VTT) following a survey in which they gauged opinions and allegedly showed off graphically rich 3D screenshots.

D7AB56AE-A866-4333-9E26-3D96E3D7B751.jpeg

“TSDR” is the application’s status which reads:
LIVE/APPLICATION/Awaiting Examination
The trademark application has been accepted by the Office (has met the minimum filing requirements) and has not yet been assigned to an examiner.

New application will be assigned to an examining attorney approximately 6 months after filing date.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
The only Magic D&D books I wouldn't outright hate would be one filled with a bunch of statted up nonsense like Gleemax and stuff from the old Unglued expansion. Naturally it would be filled with terrible Phil Foglio art (which is to say any Phil Foglio art) to really give it the proper vibe of 90s era Magic.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I may be the only person who actually likes the name Atomic Arcade. In fact I love that name. It sounds like a Tomorrowland invention.
I like the name… Just not for the thing we’re all assuming it’s for. Granted, we don’t know if it’s actually for that or not.

Hussar

Legend

I guess. Obviously there is something I’m missing. But it seems like such a no-brainer. What a way to build communities and interact with customers.

Imagine an Adventurers League style setup where you train up the dms first and then use those dms to train others. Build up a largish enough user base and you have games being run 24/7.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I guess. Obviously there is something I’m missing. But it seems like such a no-brainer. What a way to build communities and interact with customers.

Imagine an Adventurers League style setup where you train up the dms first and then use those dms to train others. Build up a largish enough user base and you have games being run 24/7.
Sounds pretty cool, but building and maintaining thst costs money, and even if it would be profitable, would it be the most profitable thing WotC could do?

I think their calculus has changed, due to changes in technology and society since then, and the growth of the game in general and online play in particular.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads